A home espresso machine that provides commercial quality temperature and pressure consistency at an affordable price. Read more
This project was successfully funded on January 20, 2012.
Close of Beta Testing!
We hope you’ve recovered from your holiday exploits. We’re still here, working with our beta testers to get through testing. After many arduous weeks and many e-mails and calls back and forth, we’re ending the beta test phase and are moving forward!
We’ve gotten a ton of great feedback (some people have written hundreds of words every day since getting their machines - wow!), and we’ve been working with beta testers and our manufacturer to nail down the causes of problems and find solutions.
Below is a non-exhaustive summary of what we’ve been working through. Some of it will make more/less sense depending on your familiarity with the mechanics of these types of machines, but hopefully this gives everyone a bit better idea of the types of problems we saw.
Nothing is catastrophic, and we’ve already solved most of what’s mentioned below.
A Summary of Issues
- Steam timer does not count minutes
- Suggest we change PID adjustment increment to 1, not 0.1
- Suggest we move status messages from the top of the screen to the bottom to accommodate taller users
Temperature Stability Issues:
- Inconsistent revisions of the code installed on machines, so that some PID values are incorrect, causing temperature irregularities.
- LCD ribbon cable not secured to PCB, causing it to disconnect on some units during shipment
- Low-pressure drain tube is too soft and has ruptured on several units (requires better temperature-rated tubing)
- OPV discharge tube is too long, causing potential for leaking
- Steam wand fitting is misassembled, causing potential leaking issue and lack of steam pressure
- D-pad button sticks on some units
We’ve resolved about 80% of the issues brought up during beta, and will continue to work closely with the manufacturer to resolve the various issues - either with design modifications, revised code, or revised assembly procedures to ensure that components are placed precisely.
We’re currently recalling the beta units. We will then refurbish them with the changes we've made and send them back out for a round of verification. If all is well, we'll roll into production!
We know that any additional testing or delay is frustrating, but hopefully we can all remember that it means we’re close! We haven’t discovered anything devastating, but there are issues that need to be completely resolved and tested before we can happily call these ‘final’ units.
Here’s to lots of awesome espresso in 2014!