XOWi: The World's First Smart Voice Badge
XOWi: The World's First Smart Voice Badge
What's a cooler gadget than a Smart Watch or Glasses? A Smart Voice Badge. Star Trek a reality! Talks to twitter, facebook, eBay...
What's a cooler gadget than a Smart Watch or Glasses? A Smart Voice Badge. Star Trek a reality! Talks to twitter, facebook, eBay... Read more
About this project
XOWi is a small wearable badge that enables you to engage in voice interactions without hijacking your hands and eyes. One push on your smart badge (just like the Star Trek Communicator), let go and speak. No screens to look at or phones to hold.
As Seen On....
What are they Saying about XOWi?
"What's better than Siri or Google Maps? XOWi is" - ZDNET
"Apple would be smart to either buy this tech start-up and integrate this voice service into Siri, or steal this idea and build their own which mirrors the XOWi." -- Tekatron
"It won’t be long until we are walking around wearing tiny badges that we talk into to get stuff done like in Star Trek. Oh wait. That day is just about here. Beam me up." -- Crunchwear
"The XOWi concept is a groundbreaking way to get the benefits of computing while keeping the distractions of operating a user interface to an absolute minimum. This device will be an enormously valuable addition to all of our daily lives." -- Dr. Debbie Dahl, Principal, Conversational Technologies
"XOWi truly turns Star Trek into reality!" -- The VUI Design Blog
"Wearable computing is emerging as a significant new trend in our industry, and XOWi is superbly positioned to take full advantage of the growing enthusiasm in this area." -- K. W. "Bill" Scholz, President, The Applied Voice Input Output Society (AVIOS)
"Voice Badge is among the few in that category that would act as a smartphone companion." -- Laptop Magazine
There is no doubt that we are witnessing the dawning of a new technological era: the emergence of smart objects and services, especially ones aimed for the body, the home and the car. But what is equally clear is that the way we will interact with such smart objects and services will be difficult within the current visual user interface paradigm. The visual smartphone will always play a central part in our life, but it will be far too cumbersome to help us with the many quick interactions that will populate our day.
How does it Work?
What Can XOWi Do?
XOWi Makes our Life Better
At XOWi, we STRONGLY subscribe to the dictum that designing for universal use is the best way to design for a maximally usable product. In the case of XOWi, we want our device to be used by not only the traditional smartphone user base – those who can use both hands and eyes to interact with the device – but also people who can’t use their hands or their eyes. The effect of subscribing to the dictum of Universal Design is that not only will the user base of the product broaden, but the usability itself of the product increases in situations where an otherwise enabled person is disabled – for instance, if you are carrying a box (hands no longer free) or you are trying to control your AC in the dark (no vision). The benefits of doing the RIGHT THING are many.
XOWi is Discreetly Elegant
Update #6: What they are Saying about XOWi Update #5: New Pledge Level.... Update #4: XOWi and Ordr.in Partner to Deliver Food by Voice Update #3 - XOWi Exhibiting at CES 2014 Update #2 - Thank you! And Details on How XOWi Can be Used.... Update #1 - XOWi Backers
The Power of Wearable & Ubiquitous Voice
Because a wearable device is by definition always on you, you can forget it even exists until you need to use it. This combination of effortless, don’t-need-to-remember-to-take-with you, don’t-need-to-look-for-it, constant availability meaningfully expands the sphere of use cases and the usability of the technology.
A whole world of situations where interactions were not possible because our hands or our eyes, or both, were busy, now open up.
- Dimensions (approximate): 30mm x 48mm x 8mm/10mm
- High fidelity mini speakers and noise-cancellation microphones
- Bluetooth 4.0
- USB 2.0 with power supply charger
- Light on/off indicator
- Flashing interaction indicator
- Vibrating interaction indicator
- Volume control buttons
- Advance forward and backward buttons
- Flexible clip for easy on/off wearability
- Strap holder
- Works with the following: Android Jelly Bean 4.1 (and up), iOS 4S (and up), Microsoft Windows 8 Phone, and Blackberry 10
What you Get when you Back us
- $5 - THE XOWi FAMILY - Your name will be added to the XOWi Family Page
- $35 - THE XOWi INNER CIRCLE - Grab one awesome XOWi T-Shirt in your choice of size
- $99 - THE BASIC Package - One XOWi unit in Classic Black + Matching XOWi earphones + XOWi strap + Micro USB charging cable
- $149 - THE INNOVATOR Package - One XOWi unit, your choice of Classic Black, Snow White, and Hot Pink + matching XOWi earphones + XOWi strap + Micro USB charging cable
- $179 - THE EVANGELIST Package - One XOWi unit, your choice of Classic Black, Snow White, Hot Pink, Mango Orange, XOWi Blue, Sherbet Yellow + matching XOWi earphones + XOWi strap + Micro USB charging cable
- $199 - THE VISIONARY Package - One XOWi unit, your choice of any of the 9 XOWi colors + matching XOWi earphones + XOWi strap + Micro USB charging cable
- $499 - THE PARTNER DEVELOPER Package - One XOWi unit, your choice of any of the 9 XOWi colors + matching XOWi earphones + XOWi strap + Micro USB charging cable + Early Access to the XOWi API + XOWi Partner Certification Training + Early access to the XOWi Voice App Store
- $10,000 - THE PRODUCT ADVISORY BOARD Package -> Reserve your seat on the XOWi Product Advisory Board (PAB) (limit is 10 seats) and engage with the Product team once XOWi has been delivered. You will be able to join and participate in quarterly conference calls, receive early heads up on the Product Road map, and have direct access to our Product managers. We will also fly you in, all expenses paid, to Washington DC for the inaugural Annual XOWi PAB Meeting, to be held in September 2014. You will of course also get one XOWi unit, your choice of any of the 9 XOWi colors + matching XOWi earphones + XOWi strap + USB charging cable
Why we need your backing
At this point, we have built a handful of functional hardware prototypes and the core of the companion driver software. What's left is the work of making a good idea a great product that consistently, securely, and reliably delivers value. We want to make XOWi something that people LOVE, and people love products that reliably work as expected. So, a lot of exciting cutting edge engineering, both hardware and software, lies ahead that will enable us to robustly deliver great experiences. A lot of testing, both the hardware and the software, a lot of tweaking and fine tuning. And perhaps most importantly for our mission is to deliver XOWi at a price that will enable anyone who wants a XOWi to get one.
Here is a more detailed timeline of the main milestones between now and the time we begin delivering XOWi to our wonderful backers:
- Final Hardware Designs: The look and feel of XOWi is set, but we believe that we can further optimize the internal circuits and the placement of the microphones, speakers, and accelerometer for optimal performance.
- Final Selection of Language Technology vendors: Speech Recognition, Text To Speech, Natural Language Processing, Dictation Services
- Hardware Manufacturer Selection: We are already engaged with several manufacturing partners and are halfway through the selection of our manufacturing partner. It is crucial that we select a solid partner.
- Beta Completion of iOS and Android Software Driver Software
- Beta Completion of the XOWi Middleware Cloud
- Hardware Material Selection: XOWi needs to look good, feel good, and fit with user's clothing and environment. Selecting the right material that will enable us to deliver on all these dimensions and at the same time keep XOWi affordable is a crucial step. We will take it carefully.
- Finalized the Packaging Design: XOWi will be beautifully boxed. We want to make the unboxing experience of XOWi be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
- Beta Completion of Microsoft and Blackberry Software Drivers
- GA Certification of iOS and Android Software Drivers
- GA Certification of the XOWi Middleware Cloud
- Beta Batch production: a Beta Batch will be manufactured for extensive real-life field testing by XOWi testers as well as ordinary users.
- Quality Assurance Certification of Hardware
- GA Certification of Microsoft and Blackberry Software Driver Software
- 508 Certification of the XOWi Personal Voice Companion
- INNOVATOR and PARTNER Package Batches of XOWis shipped
- VISIONARY and EVANGELIST Package Batches of XOWis shipped
- Basic Package Batch of XOWis shipped
Who We Are
XOWi Inc. was founded by Ahmed Bouzid and Weiye Ma, two speech technology innovators with a life long passion for bringing voice solutions and products to the mainstream. The two became convinced in the past few months that the time for Wearable Voice had come. The XOWi Personal Voice Companion badge is their first product towards fulfilling that mission.
Ahmed Bouzid is CEO of XOWi Inc. Ahmed was previously Head of Product and VP of Strategy and Innovation at Angel (now part of Genesys Corporation). Ahmed has over 15 years of experience in the fields of Speech Automation and Natural Language Processing and has written extensively on Voice Automation and Voice User Interface design. He is co-Chair of the AVIOS DC Chapter and co-author of two books on Voice User Interface design: The Elements of VUI Style and Don't Make me Tap: A Common Sense Approach to Voice Usability. Ahmed can be followed in twiter via @didou
Dr. Weiye Ma is CTO of XOWi Inc. Dr. Ma specializes in Noise Cancellation, Signal Processing, and Speech Recognition. She has done extensive work in Multi-Microphone Array Beam Forming, Capstra Analysis, Adaptive Signal Processing, and Hidden Markov/Neural Network Modeling for Speech Recognition and Speaker Identification. Prior to joining XOWi Inc., she was a Senior Speech Scientist at Telvent Corporation, Convergys Corporation, and Unisys.
Thank you to all
A big thank you to our family and our friends, without whose help, care, and love we would not have started this journey, let alone complete it and survive it. To everyone who has pitched in and who has encouraged us to take on this exciting project: you are a blessing. We will work hard to live up to your expectations.
Risks and challenges
The key to XOWi's high usability is its responsiveness. The interaction between the hardware and the software running on the smartphone is going to be key. A lot will be invested to ensure that such interactions are smooth on all four mobile platforms: Android, iOS, Microsoft and Blackberry.
We aim to manufacture a beautiful device that is also robust and safe. This means many testing iterations that will ensure that we are delivering a product that works and that people can be proud to wear.
Like all hardware devices, we need to pass safety certification in the markets where we wish to make XOWi available. Our initial target is the US and Canada, followed by the EU, and then the rest of the world. We don't expect any unforeseen issues, but we need to make sure that we keep such certification in mind all along the way.
We are also working to obtain 508 compliance for the Visually Impaired. Again, we don't expect any issues here as we are working with certified consultants who are guiding us through the process.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)