About this project
What is the Zortrax?
The Zortrax M200 is a cool, easy-to-remember name for a cool, easy-to-remember 3D printer. It’s easy, it’s stylish, it’s cost effective and it’s for you. The Zortrax M200 is the printer that will change the nature and the future of home 3D printing.
All Kickstarter Zortrax M200 printers are under 12 month warranty. Terms and conditions in update #4!
Why the Zortrax?
Home 3D printing is awkward. When you order a garage-made 3D printer, you usually receive a box of plastic parts with vague instructions made of Google links. You spend loads of cash on spare parts and then spend weeks or months trying to make the printer work just to see it makes some noises and add two pages to your total bill.
Aren’t you tired of being your printer’s workforce? Do you enjoy unpatched, difficult to-set-up software and low quality, garage-made components? Don't you want a 3D printer that is actually finished, before it's shipped to you?
Finally, wouldn't you like to own a 3D printer that you can put in your room, office, studio without making it look like a computer science lab from the fifties?We want 3D printing to be a great and simple experience.
Just Plug & Print! We make it awesome.
How do we fix it?
For almost two years now, we've been working on connecting hardware, software and high-quality building material into one, great product. A system for creating the future of your ideas quickly, easily and with minimal material costs. A printer that is quiet, powerful and looks great.
This is how the Zortrax M200 3D printer was born.
What will you get?
The System of the Zortrax
When you’re cooking a meal to impress your crush, your spouse or friends (or your cat, or maybe you just feel peckish) you need a stove, a recipe and ingredients. 3D printing is the same (although impressing a cat with it may be tricky). While most 3D printers provide you with a big, heavy, industrial stove, we aim to give you the whole package in one, well… package!
It’s the hardware
- Slick, aluminum design that just works. It really ties your office space together. It just fits the room
- Solid, stable aluminum printer frame, guaranteeing high-precision printing
- Precise and fail-safe printer head
- Innovative, state-of-the-art high-precision material dosing mechanism
- Just unbox it! Plug & Print!
- Gantry system is based on idea comes from MIT
Testing & prototyping
It’s the software
- Designed for the Zortrax M200, innovative hardware, allowing you to easily crop, visualize and print your model
- Generating support for your model
- Just Plug & Print!
We did it!
The slicing engine included in the Zortrax Suite is a ready solution designed and programmed by us with no 3rd party software included! Everything, from the engine to a handsome GUI was created by our team from scratch!
Because of that great fact, the code is completely under our control, so you can expect constant, readymade updates. Also, if something does go wrong, you won’t get stuck with half a ton of coding books and the possibility of a very long weekend.
- Built-in slicing engine fixes the majority of possible errors that can occur in .stl models and does it automatically during the slicing process!
- Slices really big and complex models in a very short time
- You can set the layer thickness to a variety of options: 0.1mm, 0.14mm, 0.2mm, 0.3mm
- The engine created focuses on maintaining the geometry of your model as close as possible to your project
- Three different printing speed modes
- Automatic support generation, so you can print those really complicated models
- No USB connection is required – just use the included SD card reader!
- Supports Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, including virtual machines!
- We're working on supporting Mac - it will be the first update on the software. We want to make it in the time between campaign and printers shipping.
Living in a material world
- High quality Z-ABS material, based on popular ABS and PC-ABS, widely used in mass production, lets you create ready-to-use objects with low printing costs
- Durable printing plastic turning your projects into usable 3D prints, leaving traditionally printed resin and PLA toys for someone else
- Great for painting and combining. Great in general.
- Just Print & Use!
Zortrax M200 will work with: Z-ABS (as a basic material), ABS, PC-ABS, PC and Nylon.
More about Z-ABS material in Update #3
As for the details
The Zortrax M200 works out-of-the-box. We don’t want you to study the Zortrax. We want you to enjoy it.
We have designed the Zortrax for years of problem-free work. We don’t 3D print our 3D printers, we don’t use wooden elements. We use aluminum, POM, DryLin, FR4, stainless steel and brass. Wherever possible, we use molded parts to maximize precision and durability.
That works. Our first prototype is almost a year old and after being stress tested every day, along with a series of 3-day-long nonstop printing, it still works like new. And the newer prototypes are even better.
As for the clicking part: We have created a complete software suite from scratch. The solution we used made the ZSuite Software a perfect match for the Zortrax hardware, creating an easy and convenient user experience. You will get the ZSuite Software on an SD card with every Zortrax M200 set, along with a complete guide and a couple of ready-to-print sample files. Something’s unclear? Contact us and we will answer your questions ASAP.
Why is the Zortrax for me?
Because it’s awesome.
No matter if you’re a student, a designer or an engineer, at some point you've stumbled upon the need to make an idea real. The Zortrax M200 allows you to do just that. You can create high-precision durable models of any shapes and colors. And since it's inexpensive, you can print a model, after model, after model, seeing your project in reality even in mid-design.
You don’t even have to design professionally. The Zortrax M200 works great with free 3D software and models you can find on the web! Try: Blender, Google SketchUp, 123D and others.
Who is behind the Zortrax?
Soon - you, we hope.
For now the Zortrax is the work of a passionate group of professionals brought together by their love for innovation. The team consists of designers, engineers, artists, coders and IT specialists. That mixture guarantees an explosion of ideas and a fresh perspective on every project.
Every day we work on designing and manufacturing hardware and software for 3D printing technologies in GADGETS 3D. Every month we send hundreds of boxes to hundreds of customers.
To make the Zortrax M200 come true, we are in constant contact with large factories that can bring us the quality and precision of production we need.
Learn more about our experience in BIO.
Is the Zortrax worth it?
We guarantee it. If you back us up on Kickstarter and be one of the first owners of the Zortrax M200 using and testing the Zortrax M200, we will give you constant support. Furthermore, should something go wrong, we will send you any needed spare parts. It’s on us!
Designing the Zortrax is one thing. Getting it to you is another. Since we need high-quality precise components, we have to manufacture A LOT of them for the price to be acceptable for us and ultimately, for you. That’s why we kickstart.
What needs backing?
- Custom molded parts molds
- Custom molds for the aluminum case
- CNC hotend parts
- All the electronics: mainboard PCB, special stepper motor drivers
- Part of the funds will be used to back our ongoing software development and production of high-quality ABS filament production
Design your future with Zortrax!
Zortrax M200 timeline
During the Zortrax Kickstarter Campaign
- Continuation of the testing phase of all the software options
- Continuation of testing the software on all available Windows platforms
- Continuation of testing the software on random computers with different components, from entry-level machines to high-class performance
- Software - Code optimization
- Software - Optimization of the engine responsible for cutting models
- Final adjustments of electronics and the power supply scheme
- Final adjustments of selected mechanical elements
- Launch site
- Further work on the website, preparation manuals, etc.
- End of the Zortrax Kickstarter campaign
- The preparation and delivery of the final draft of the housing and mechanical parts to start the production of molds
- Start the process of procurement of mechanical parts
- Start the order process of stepper motors
- Preparation of the final draft of electronics (PCB and drivers)
- Start the process of procurement of all electronic components
- Custom packaging and transport boxes
- Order protective cushioning for printers during transport
- Express thanks to the Backers on website
- Send virtual cards, STL files and Zortrax wallpapers to Backers
- The delivery of mechanical parts
- The delivery of electronic components
- Start the production of motherboards and drivers
- Shipping t-shirts
- Delivery of protective cushioning and packaging material
- Commencement of production of parts and housing
- Shipping t-shirts
- Delivery of the first batch of parts and housings
- Delivery of the first batch of electronics
- Assembly of the first printers
- Testing of the printers
- Testing of the packaging process
- Delivery of the first batch of mechanical parts and electronic components
- Start of the packing process
- Shipping of the first batch of special edition printers
- Shipping of the second batch of printers
- Shipping of the last batch of printers
- Completion of shipments
- Opening the e-shop
The You - what can you do to help?
Back the Zortrax up!
Share this campaign on Facebook.
Blog about the Zortrax – use our press release pack!
Brag about it to your friends!
Risks and challenges
Many campaigns on Kickstarter encounter the simplest problems resulting from a lack of experience in production and distribution, and a lack of professional technical and personal backing. Thanks to Gadgets 3D, we understand how difficult it is to produce a device consisting of hundreds of parts. We have dealt with the production and distribution of components and electronics for many years.
We do not expect any surprises thanks to our experience with factories, packaging and shipping. In addition our staff is large enough to handle even the largest order. However, we are aware of possible problems that may occur at various production stages, In case of such an event, the estimated delivery date can be with a 1-to-2 month delay.
Last year we produced and tested three Zortrax iterations in the amount of five pieces, coming from three different factories. Each one was better constructed than the previous one. It taught us a lot and helped us find the factories that offer the highest quality.
We considered trying Kickstarter half a year ago but were aware at the time that the process of printer assembly was too complicated and time-consuming.
We have re-designed Zortrax so that it consists of four independent modules that may be assembled by separate teams in different places. Thanks to this, we got rid of the craft method in which one person assembled one printer, a method that was ineffective, time-consuming and connected with a high risk of error. We rely on outsourcing to factories, so the task of the specialised Zortrax Team will be only calibration and thorough control of each product. We wish to focus on quality control and contact with clients (Backers), and not on the laborious assembly of hundreds of products for months and constant corrections.
We cooperate with several experienced companies which are our main suppliers of components. They are:
IGUS Inc. (supplier of all elements from the scope of linear technique)
THK Japan (supplier of all elements from the scope of linear technique)
Mouser Electronics (supplier of all electronic elements)
Digi-Key Corporation (supplier of all electronic elements)
Titoma (molded and electronic parts manufacturing)
MEISHIN SEIKO (molded parts manufacturing)
We have also cooperated with some other local manufacturers for several years.
We have signed contracts with DHL and FedEx. Your Zortrax will come to you fast and safely. All parcels are fully traceable, which means you will be able to track online the location of your parcel.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Z-ABS filament will be available in our store in different colors.
We will be providing you with high quality ABS for 19 USD/1 kg (2.2 lbs) only for Zortrax M200 owners. There will be no limit for quantity in special price.
We guarantee the best results with the high quality Z-ABS we know and love. But you can also use ABS, PC-ABS, PC, Nylon and PLA from other stores.
All printers bought via Kickstarter are under 12 month warranty. More in Update #4.
Support this project
- (30 days)