An epic fantasy comedy from Zombie Orpheus Entertainment, JourneyQuest is a five-season web television series that is 100% funded by fans like you!
Did we mention that JourneyQuest is epic? It's so epic that it should be impossible to produce. And we've solved that by ruthlessly cutting what we couldn't afford to shoot.
For three seasons.
Showrunner Matt Vancil has delivered the scripts for Seasons 4 and 5, which will complete the story. And they're good. Really freaking good. So good that when we realized that we were going to have to cut scenes and characters who we love...and that we might never see how their stories resolve...we stepped back and said "Not today, The Budget. We want to tell the complete story!"
This campaign will fund the scenes from JourneyQuest seasons 2, 3, 4 and 5 that would otherwise be lost. We'll shoot them, we'll share them with you, and then we'll cut them into Seasons 4 & 5 when we fund and produce them.
Plus, this is the perfect time to create something that fans have been begging us to create since Season One: a comprehensive Fartherall world bible and campaign setting! And yes, this world bible is your chance to help Matt name and create the heroes, demi-gods, guilds, and kingdoms that will fill the world of Fartherall!
Finally, we're bringing Matt Vancil on board to run several story canon Livestream Roleplaying events, where he'll explore the early days of the questing party with Christian Doyle (Perf), Brian Lewis (Carrow), and more!
There's a ton of information in this campaign, so if you want to jump ahead, here's a guide to where to find what you want to know.
- JourneyQuest Season 3.5 (What we'll be shooting)
- The Team (Who's making this)
- The World Bible (What's in the book)
- The Livestream Adventure (How to watch)
- The Rewards (So Many Cool Things)
- Shipping (We charge shipping in BackerKit after the campaign)
- The Shared Cinematic Universe License Agreement (Tell your own story)
- Risks and Challenges
- And coming soon, the campaign FAQ
Due to budget constraints and time, we’ve been forced to cut important scenes from JourneyQuest since the very beginning. And the full scripts that Matt Vancil writes for each season suffer every time we have to make these hard choices. Plus, months are spent going over the script deciding what has to stay and what can be cut. Frankly, it’s awful. Cutting characters or scenes that we have fallen in love with is one of the hardest things we, as a company, have to do.
But you deserve the whole story.
Thanks to our Patreon supporters, the scripts for JourneyQuest Seasons 4 & 5 are complete...and epic...and need to be cut down...and rather than leave some crucial scenes out, AGAIN, we decided to create JourneyQuest 3.5
Just like one of our favorite roleplaying games, this is where we make some important fixes and upgrades. It’s where we catch up with moments that we couldn’t afford to shoot for seasons 2 and 3 and preemptively shoot what we would otherwise have to cut from Seasons 4 and 5.
Scenes vital to the overall story arc of JourneyQuest.
Where did the Orcs go when they used Silver Tom’s “magic device”? Where is Karn? Will Rilk wake up before winter?
Completing these story arcs are important because you, the fans, the lifeblood of JourneyQuest, deserve to see the entire story from beginning to end without cuts.
SO HOW DOES IT TIE TOGETHER?
We'll release Season 3.5 as a backer-exclusive (yes, that includes Patreon!) miniseries that follows the orcs and Karn. It will play like a shorter season of JourneyQuest. This is the version that will appear on the DVD and download.
Then we will cut these scenes into where they belong in JQ 4 & 5 as we shoot those seasons. (The scripts have moved some scenes that were cut from JQ 2 & 3 into 4 & 5. We won't recut 2 & 3.)
JourneyQuest is created by an ever-growing team of talented and passionate actors, producers, crew, support staff, and showrunner Matt Vancil.
Together, we've not only produced three seasons of JourneyQuest, but the ongoing Gamers series, Dark Dungeons, Demon Hunters, Attacking the Darkness, Strowlers, and much more.
The team also needs to support their families. Shows of this scale can't operate under volunteer effort. While our budgets are still a fraction of what Hollywood spends, doing it right means taking care of everyone. Your support is what lets us keep telling original stories that you can't find anywhere else!
For Season 3.5 we're bringing in...
- Matt Vancil - Writer and Director
- Tony Becerra - Producer
- Rennie Araucto - Producer
- Maggie Doyle - Kickstarter Manager
- Ben Dobyns - Executive Producer
- Bob Sapp - Karn the Unpleasant
- Darlene Sellers - The Oracle
- Jesse Lee Keeter - Rilk
- Luke Amundson - Yart
- Jeremy Spray - Grellnock
- And a few more surprises who qualify as massive spoilers
Everyone on this team has delivered excellent work in the past and we're confident that the show will continue to evolve in their competent hands.
Not only do we want to give you the entire JourneyQuest story by creating Season 3.5, we also want to introduce the Fartherall World Bible!
A beautiful 8.5x8.5 volume modeled after our Strowlers World Bible, this will be the definitive guide to the world of JourneyQuest and The Gamers.
Join writer Matt Vancil on a trek through a world of many ages, ancient gods, mysterious wyrms, interstellar travelers, and so much more!
You'll learn the history of Fartherall, the major and minor gods and religions, the sentient species (past and present) who vie for dominance and survival, systems of magic, geography, kingdoms, organizations and factions, and all the backstory you could dream of.
Plus, at the $100 reward level and up, backers will have the opportunity to make their own official contributions to the world in the Heroes of Fartherall section, where you will have a chance to create and share your own character. Then, from $250 and up, Matt will work with you to gather information about your hero or villain and write them into the history!
You can check out the Fartherall Wiki for core information and a taste of everything that Matt has planned for this book.
BIBLE STRETCH GOALS
Backers at all levels will benefit from stretch goals that will expand the scope of the bible considerably, adding tens of thousands of words of additional content. Plus, backers at $100 and up will see stretch goals that transition the book to hardcover, upgrade to premium paper, add foil stamps to the cover, and other physical changes that will make this a unique, deluxe collectible!
After our experience publishing the Strowlers World Bible this year, we're excited to bring similar upgrades to this book as well.
- $137,000 – The History of Fartherall, Expanded (First through Ninth Ages), approximately 32 additional pages
- $144,000 – The Peoples of Fartherall, Expanded, ~30 additional pages
- $150,000 – The Epics of Fartherall, ~20 additional pages
- $152,000 – Locked
- $161,000 – Locked
- $169,000 – Locked
- $172,000 – Locked (would complete all additional possible materials for the world bible!)
After over a year of broadcasting weekly tabletop adventures with our friends at HyperRPG, they moved to Los Angeles and we opened our own livestream studio, where we're currently broadcasting Masters of the Metaverse on Twitch.
For this campaign, Matt Vancil has written an original adventure that will feature Christian Doyle as Perf and Brian Lewis as Carrow, exploring how their party began the quest that had been going for five years when we joined the story in JourneyQuest Season 1. Barring unforeseen technical difficulties (which could move us to a backup broadcast on Twitch), the first episode will air on Kickstarter Live on September 22nd, then be available for replay afterward.
But we're not just going to livestream. We're planning on involving you, our backers, in the adventure! Your pledges will not only reserve you fantastic rewards and help fund JQ 3.5 and the world bible, but they will help affect the livestream adventure. As we reach funding, social media, and backer milestones during the campaign, you will unlock buffs and trolls that our heroes will be able to use in the adventure. Plus, you'll have the opportunity in chat to offer input and feedback in real time at key moments!
The biggest reward for pledging, of course, is that you help us continue the story! We're committed to putting over 70% of dollars received straight into our production budget. And the rest? It goes towards Kickstarter and credit card fees, campaign management, and creating some kick-ass rewards!
Here's what you can reserve with your pledge:
- CREDIT - Your name, in the credits. Yes, it's a lot of names. Yes, it's worth it to thank every one of you for making the show possible. (Just don't, you know, try to sneak something evil or defamatory past us. We read every name. EVERY. NAME.)
- STREAM - Watch the new video content first with a private link to enjoy what the public will need to wait until Season Four to see.
- THE FANTASY NETWORK - We'll give you a month of free access to our new video streaming platform, The Fantasy Network, where you can watch all of our shows, plus incredible shows from other fantasy producers from around the world. Available in your browser and with apps on iOS, Android, Amazon Fire, Roku, and more, this is an awesome way to catch up on everything. And it comes with your pledge of $10 or more!
- DOWNLOAD - A digital video download of JQ 3.5 and our livestream adventure. Always DRM-free. Just what it sounds like. Comes with all pledges of $20 or more!
- WORLD BIBLE PDF - The complete digital edition of the Fartherall World Bible!
- DVD or BLU-RAY - A backer-exclusive disc (your choice of format) of Season 3.5 and the Livestream adventure. (We may have to edit the livestreams to fit. More comedy in less time!) Available at $30 and up.
- WORLD BIBLE SOFTCOVER - A unique 8.5" square format that will fit perfectly next to our recently released Strowlers World Bible. Available at $50 and up. And at $100 and up we'll also sign it!
- CREATE A HERO OF FARTHERALL - We'll ask you for NAME, SPECIES, CLASS, LEVEL, and a 30-character description of your hero, then we'll put her in the World Bible and on a...
- ETCHED METAL HERO CARD - Remember the awesome metal cards from JQ Season 3 that had your Orcish word, definition, and name on them? Now you can carry a hero in your pocket. And you have our permission to whip out the card every time you need a character for your next tabletop campaign! Available at the $100 level!
- CREATE AN EPIC HERO (OR VILLAIN) OF FARTHERALL - This is where Matt Vancil starts writing about your character. You get everything from the $100 level, plus a much longer character description and history that integrates your character into the world more fully. Yes, she's canon. She'll be a part of the official lore forever. Available at the $250 level!
- CREATE A DEMI-GOD OF FARTHERALL - A child of a god and a mortal, the demi-gods stride larger than life across the history of Fartherall. And now you can make Matt Vancil turn your character into one of them. These heroes (or villains) are legendary. And to reflect that legendary status, they also come with...
- A LARGER ETCHED METAL CARD - The same size as our Red Cards, these will be limited, etched with your unique character information, and did we mention that they're larger than the other metal cards? Available at the $500 level and up.
THE HIGHER LEVEL REWARDS
In the immortal words of Darkwing Duck, let's get dangerous!
- $1000 LEVEL - You're going to create a guild. Or an organization. An alliance. A group of people who exert power in Fartherall. Maybe a thieves guild. Or a merchant caravan. An adventurers club. And then you'll make yourself into a key character from that organization. Yes, Matt Vancil will write all of this into the world bible. But then we'll invite you to visit the JQ 3.5 set to APPEAR AS YOUR CHARACTER in the Bard College. This isn't a speaking role, but as an important guest of the bards, this will show how vital your story is within Fartherall.
- $2500 LEVEL - Why lead an organization when you can create a kingdom? Matt Vancil will write the history of your kingdom. Then fantasy artist Rob Carlos will paint you as its ruler. We'll display your painting in the series, then you get to keep the original artwork! Plus, you'll receive Associate Producer credit for JQ 3.5 and JQ 4. (You're also welcome to visit set, although a ruler likely wouldn't appear in the bards college.)
- $5000 LEVEL - Create a god. Receive a larger original painting, again by Rob Carlos, of the god. Affect the pantheon of Fartherall forever. Also comes with Co-producer Credit on JQ 3.5 and JQ 4. (You too are welcome to visit set, but not as the god.)
In other words, Matt Vancil is going to do a whole lot of writing. And yes, he gets the final say on how to execute your ideas. He has to make the world work effectively!
A second time, because it's important: the creator of JourneyQuest will decide how to write and present your character. We can't predict what he will do. And we'll all choose to enjoy his interpretation! Cool? Cool.
We will charge for all shipping after the campaign in BackerKit. In order for your rewards to ship, you will need to pay shipping fees at that time. Do NOT add shipping fees to your pledge now.
- International Backers: expect to pay less than $9.00 in BackerKit for base shipping on the $50 reward.
- Domestic Backers: expect to pay less than $5.00 in BackerKit for base shipping on the $50 reward.
The JQ 3.5 campaign will be fulfilled by our partners at Ship Naked. If we have enough European pledges we will fulfill from the Ship Naked shipping depot in Germany. If not, we'll fulfill from the USA in as EU-friendly a way as we can manage.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Our policy for excess funds pledged during the campaign is to spend them on producing JourneyQuest 3.5. Any amounts that you gift over the cost of a pledge level will not count as credit in BackerKit. Only give more than a pledge level if you want us to spend your money making the show awesome.
If you're a creator who loves JourneyQuest, this may be the most exciting news of all: we're releasing the World of Fartherall under ZOE's new Shared Cinematic Universe License Agreement (the SCULA).
What does this mean?
It's like the Open Gaming License and Creative Commons had little license babies: it's an agreement that gives you permission to create, adapt, and release your own derivative works within the world of Fartherall!
Check out the web page for the full details, but the fast, dirty, and legally-nonbinding summary is that as long as you abide by the terms of the agreement, you have the freedom to create non-commercial AND commercial Fartherall derivatives. Make a roleplaying game. Shoot a web series. Create your art. Sell it if you want. Or give it away. It's your choice.
You, the fans, have made these works possible and this new agreement helps us give back. Come and play, you're invited!
Just remember to Share Alike, Transform (don't copy), provide accurate Attribution, and don't break the law.
Plus, if you want your creations to become a canon part of the world, we offer a path to make them official. And a cool seal. It's pretty awesome.
Thank you for supporting more creations within the world of Fartherall! We're thrilled to bring back JourneyQuest and to help make Seasons 4 & 5 easier and faster to shoot. And to tell the complete story.
We are a fan supported and creator distributed company and we exist entirely because of the support from fans like you.
We also know that money isn't the most important part of your pledge. A pledge is an emotional investment in a shared goal. You're a key part of our community, whether you're giving one dollar or a thousand.
And a pledge is only part of the process. We succeed when we work together: to fund the campaign, to spread the word, to encourage the creators, and to create a community where everyone is welcome.
Welcome to the ZOE family!
Risks and challenges
While we work hard to mitigate our risks, the unforeseen can always throw a curve ball. Sometimes we have to recast a role at the last minute. Sometimes we have to redo work in post if it doesn't meet our standards. Sometimes product gets delayed at the manufacturer. But with a nine-year track record of success, our reputation should speak for itself.
Additionally, we now have excellent relationships with manufacturers, our fulfillment partners at Ship Naked, the team at BackerKit, and everyone else who's part of making sure that our campaigns are completed to your satisfaction.
While the story that we create may not match the one in your head, we're excited to move closer to the epic conclusion of JourneyQuest in Season 5, where all of the pieces fit together and resolve. We know, we've read it. Let's get this story told!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)