The creators of Shadowgate are developing a new, epic version of the first-person fantasy adventure smash hit. Help make it happen! Read more
This project was successfully funded on November 25, 2012.
Happy New Year!
We hope you have had a fun-filled holiday season and that your New Year has started off right.
We've had some great success this year already, Shadowgate was greenlit on Steam! Thanks to everyone who helped support us with your Up Vote and getting the message out! We were greenlit in 8 weeks and the comments have been phenomenal! Here are some interesting numbers from our Steam Greenlight page, including (in parenthesis) a comparison to the average top 50 games that were on Greenlight at the time:
- Unique visitors: 47,987 (32,434)
- Yes Votes: 14,626 (9,838)
- Favorites: 1,231 (630)
We will be getting the official Shadowgate Steam page up soon, as well as a page on the Zojoi site to allow folks that didn’t participate in the Kickstarter to pre-order the game.
So far we've been busy putting in the remaining features for our Alpha delivery. It looks like we will most likely declare Alpha within the next 10 days.
Cool things just added...
- Death and Game Over: We've hooked in the game-over functionality which drops you from the game and back into the main menu. Also the death sequences have just been linked in. This means that doing something foolhardy during gameplay (like jumping in that deep, deadly, lava-filled chasm) now matters and will end your adventure for good! As you might imagine, this now makes playtesting that much more difficult!
- Cinematic Cut Scenes: The cut-scenes are built and have been added to the game script. You can now see and experience Lakmir in all his magical glory! It's awesome to see the story unfold during game play!
- Map Features: The map is now fully functional with correct tie-ins to each location. In addition, interesting items that you run across will show on the map in the form of "notes". These can be used to help solve puzzles or remind you of unique areas that you visited.
- Inventory: We've revamped the inventory to handle objects in a more efficient manner. We've also added an indicator for items that are currently equipped by the player.
Relax and take a look at the video that Sarah has compiled showing some of the latest features.
As you can see, we've made great headway and will be at Alpha soon. So what's left to do you might ask? Well, I'm glad you did...
- The Darkness: A key aspect to Shadowgate centers on managing your torch supply and keeping the darkness at bay. This means that we need to control the light level in each room based upon your torch level and any ambient light in the room. When it's too dark- it’s deadly to a player. We are adding this logic for gameplay during low-light and no-light situations as we speak.
- Winning: Shadowgate would not be much of a game if there wasn't a payoff to solving the adventure. By this, we mean appropriately handling the awards, achievements, and other various and sundry things one gets after saving the world!
- Final Assets: Placeholder animation and audio is being replaced with final assets. The real trick to this is syncing the audio with the animation. We'll be doing this from now until the game is released I am sure!
- Play Test and Polish: Be assured that we intend to play test and polish this game as much as possible! To that end, we will be setting up our beta test soon. So stay tuned for an upcoming announcement about that.
We have word that our game boxes have just shown up at the Port of Los Angeles from places overseas. The box design is awesome! We are in the process of getting these shipped to the Port of Richmond and then to our staging area where we plan to collate the boxes once the game is ready.
The Humble Store keys went out a few weeks ago to all our backers. These keys allow you to claim your digital rewards. Please let us know if you did not receive yours or if you have any issues. You can always email us here!
You guys are awesome! We want to thank you for your continuing support, especially as we start our final push to get the game completed!
Karl and the Zojoi Team