As part of the pre-production phase of the game, we are working out how the UI might look and operate. Our goal is to make the experience immersive and the UI un-obtrusive yet accessible in every situation. We're in the middle of working out the command system (how you examine, take, manipulate, open/close, etc. the objects and environments) as well as the mapping screen but we thought we'd share some of the other UI concepts.
- Full Screen environment: We definitely want you to feel like you are immersed in the game hence the room or environment will be full screen. In the past, the rooms were, at best, 1/4 of the game screen.
- Command system: Like we mentioned, we are working on this now and determining if the commands spin up around the object when needed or are available on screen at all times (or both!) Shortcuts will be available as well.
- Text box: The game is heavy on the narrative and the text box will most likely be available at all times and perhaps scalable.
- Torches: You knew there were going to be torches. :) You will always have one available in your left hand and be able to tell how much life is left in it with a glance. The fire itself will also be subject to the conditions in the environment so keep that in mind.
- Objects at Hand: Your right hand will contain the object you wish to use in any given situation. In this case, an iron shield.
- Inventory/Spellbook: The ornamental object on the left of the screen brings up your full-screen inventory or spellbook. It is possible that we will show a subsection of your inventory/spellbook here as well for the convenience when using objects.
- Map: The ornamental object on the right of the screen brings up your full-screen map that allows you to see where you are, where you have been and the layout of the rooms.
- Yoric: The skull in the upper left is Yoric, the skull of a long dead wizard that provides you with important commentary and information that may be important in your quest.
Inventory and Spellbook
- Objects: Based on the command system, objects are added to your inventory and are placed in such a way that they are easily accessible. In the case where the object in the room is very small (e.g. a key), they will appear much larger here.
- Commands: The same command system can also be used here (e.g. You can examine an object in your inventory as easily as on the main screen.)
- Text Box: The Text box is available here as well.
- Torches: Your torch is located in the same place here as it was on the main screen. To light a new torch, simply drag an unlit one from your inventory into your left hand.
- Objects at Hand: To use an object in the game, simply place it At Hand by dragging it from your inventory (or spellbook) into your right hand.
- Spellbook: The Spellbook tab is available here as well. The Spellbook will contain all the scrolls and spells that you find throughout the game and operates similarly to that of the inventory.
There you go. Early concepts but hopefully it gives you a better idea of how the UI might work.
THANKS AGAIN for supporting us and sharing the campaign!
The Zojoi team