Sim: A New Kind of Smartwatch
Sim: A New Kind of Smartwatch
Simplify everything with a flick of the wrist. Sim is powered by cutting-edge NFC to automate tasks on your phone.
Simplify everything with a flick of the wrist. Sim is powered by cutting-edge NFC to automate tasks on your phone. Read more
About this project
To answer the question: yes, the 'SIM STEAL' reward tiers include an entire watch, not just straps. But they won't last long!
How to Program Sim in Under a Minute
Sim makes life simple. Personalize your watch to perform your favourite phone functions, and do it all with a flick of the wrist. This means more time living, and less time letting life pass by.
100% genuine leather, rose gold plating, and three unique, integrated NFC transmitters. A new, yet familiar match.
(1) Simplify everything. Take instant photos and video, tap to share your contact info, automatic calls and texts, save battery life, even unlock doors... all with a flick of the wrist. Never fiddle with your 'Settings' again. No charging, no updates, no fuss.
(2) Classic, timeless style. Take your style to a higher level. The design alone will turn heads. Then, wow them with hands-free control.
(3) A special Kickstarter price. Kickstarter cuts out the middleman to bring you a special price. Retailers will mark Sim upwards of $250. It's $147 for Kickstarter backers.
Sim uses NFC transmitters to tell your phone what to do.
NFC stands for “Near Field Communication.” A cousin of RFID, NFC uses radio waves to transfer data between devices. NFC is passive, which means no battery, no charging, and no problems.
Use your phone to 'write' instructions to any of Sim's three transmitters. Then, the fun begins. Equipped with directions on what to do, your watch can then control your phone with a tap. You can customize the capabilities you want in your NFC Watch with easy-to-use third party apps from the Android PlayStore, Windows Store, or BlackBerry World.
Sim combines classic craftsmanship (an aspect neglected in most smartwatch designs) with NFC technology to simplify your life. We made Sim Watch, because our alternatives aren’t enough…
(1) Get Future-Proof! Technology is advancing fast. In other campaigns, by the time backers get their watches, the technology is dated. Sim is the future of information transfer (built into many phones already!), with thousands of new uses introduced every single day. Thus, Sim appreciates over time.
(2) Distracting. You already have a phone that keeps you occupied. Do you really need another, less optimized one to distract you on your wrist? Sim Watch simplifies. We believe your phone and watch should be working together seamlessly, not fighting for your attention.
(3) Is this a toy? Many smart watches look cheap with plastic, toy-like components. Sim is based on 500 years of proven craftsmanship. 100% genuine leather, rose gold plating, and three embedded NFC transmitters.
Customize Sim to perform your favourite actions on your phone. Here are some examples of what you'll do with a quick tap...
Sim is designed to add solid, classic value to any outfit.
For this project, we have partnered with a traditional watchmaker with over 15 years experience in crafting exceptional timepieces. All straps are genuine leather, and are available in either black or brown leather.
Here are some of the specifications...
(1) Stainless Steel Case Meet Rose Gold Plating
(2) 19.85mm Lug Width (Width of Genuine Leather Strap)
(3) 38mm Face Width
(4) 8 Size Notches Means an One-Size-Fits-All Solution
(5) Japanese Quartz Movement
(6) Scratch-Resistant Glass
(7) 5 ATM Water-Resistance
(1) Write. There is a variety of apps you can use to customize NFC from Google, Windows, BlackBerry, etc. We use the top-rated Android app Trigger, offering 166 320 possible function combinations. You can find it in the Play store under "Trigger". To get the most out of Sim, we strongly recommend getting the PRO version. It's only $1.99.
(2) Select. Select "Write Tag."
(3) Place. Place the 3 sections of the Sim up to your smartphone one at a time.
(4) Pick. Pick which functions you want for the 3 different areas and enjoy!
Will this work with my phone? Great question.
Every Sim needs a smart phone to program it! NFC technology is on fire, with NFC to be included in 2 of every 3 phones by 2018. Each phone has a sweet spot where the Sim will work best. Find it and simply tap to activate your favorite functions. Android, Windows, and BlackBerry phones can use NFC already. iPhones are not currently built with NFC, but can be made NFC-compatible using certain cases, such as the CashWrap.
Every watch comes boxed for protection and easy gifting. Once opened, you'll notice the hands of the Sim have been stilled by a white, plastic insert. That's because the journey to the simple life doesn't start until you're ready!
Simply remove the plastic insert, set the watch to the appropriate time, and push the metal dial inwards to start the hands ticking. Feel free to program functions to any of the three NFC transmitters at any time.
Sim is water-resistant and comes with a 18-month warranty on manufacturing defects. If, in the next 18-months it fails you due to a manufacturing problem, send it back. We'll replace it. Or, we'll give you a refund plus 10% (within this 18-month period). Gently wipe with a damp cloth if needed.
At this point, production has been secured. We have Sim working prototypes, but have come to Kickstarter to make Sim ready for the world. With the funds raised, we will be able to produce Sim on a large scale. Some expenses will include mold fees, tooling costs, raw materials, and more. The Sim you receive will be tested for quality and NFC functionality.
However, Kickstarter is about collective innovation. If you have ideas you'd like to see implemented, we'll consider them for Stretch Goals or next generation Sims! Take a look at the development up until this point. This is just the beginning. Now, be part of the story.
(1) June 6, 2014: Kickstarter Campaign Begins + Runs for 33 Days
(2) July 10, 2014: Kickstarter Campaign ends
(3) August 1, 2014: Pledges and surveys are Processed
(4) August - October 2014: Production is Paid for + Processed
(5) October - November 2014: Fulfilment + shipping for Sim
(6) November 2014: Sim arrives at your door!
Would you or someone you know LOVE to be first to control phones with a flick of the wrist? Please share!
Dropbox with Photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5tp87esa8s1k6gd/AAAbQ_1yPaeBWy688oiflChYa
Risks and challenges
For the Sim project, we have opted to produce a one-size-fits-all item with only 2 SKUs. We believe this simplicity will help everyone receive their Sim quickly and easily.
Having said that, the largest potential delay to the delivery of rewards is unanticipated demand. In the event that many backers join us, we'll be with you every step of the way, informing you how demand affects production times.
It helps that we do not have any software to create. adapt, manage. We kept it simple so the dates will be much more accurate with an even less chance of a lengthy delay.
Our backers deserve excellent, timely products. So, we're going on record and making a promise. Once funds have been received following the campaign (14 days after completion of project) we will deliver within the next 5 months, and every Sim shipped out is protected for 18 months. If it ceases to function due to its manufacturing, we'll replace it. Or, if you wish, we'll issue a refund. We'll even pay you 10% extra.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (33 days)