STRETCH GOAL UPDATE (11/06):
We've reached our minimum funding goal and passed the $10,000 mark! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
- We've reached $10,000, so we will increase all creator payments by 50%. The talented writers and cover artist are the main reason this book turned out so beautifully, and they deserve to share in this campaign's success.
- If we reach $12,500, we will create an audiobook edition of DANGEROUS WOMEN! I've been talking to voice talent friends and pricing out professional rates, and at this level we would have enough to create a beautiful audio version of DW and provide it to every backer whose reward includes a print edition!
- If we are so fortunate as to reach $15,000, then creator payments will double. Again, the creative talents that have participated in DANGEROUS WOMEN are the key to its success, and if we double our goal, then they deserve double pay. :-)
It's time… to take over the world!
Since Northwest Press published its first prose collection of gay super-villain stories, The Lavender Menace, readers have been asking for a collection of stories about queer female villains, and now that book is finally here!
DANGEROUS WOMEN: TALES OF QUEER VILLAINY—edited and with an introduction by lesbian comics tastemaker Erica Friedman—brings you thirteen short stories of power, destruction and chaos by women who love other women almost as much as they love taking over the world!
These 238 pages of deliciously dastardly stories of super-powered villainy are contained in a wraparound cover by artist Agnes Czaja (Anything That Loves) and contain contributions from a group of visionary writers.
The Financial Plan
We are trying to raise at least $7500 to produce a lush 5.5"x8.5" trade paperback collection, cleanly designed and offset printed with a beautifully finished cover.
- Our writers and cover artist will be paid from a pool of about $2000—more if we exceed our minimum goal!
- Postage to send out books will range from $500-$1000, based on the number of international pledges. (We don't want to underbudget for postage, as that's the number one cause of delays in fulfilling Kickstarter projects.)
- We've included an additional $500 to cover corrections, unanticipated costs, and promotional expenses.
- Our last collection of similar length and content, The Lavender Menace, cost $3300 to print and incurred $700 in shipping and additional costs.
Northwest Press has been producing fantastic LGBT-centric comics and graphic novels since 2010, and we're going to offer a wide selection of rewards above and beyond a copy of DANGEROUS WOMEN.
You can pledge a small amount and get a digital copy of the book in a number of formats, compatible with just about any digital device. Or pledge a little more and get the print edition, produced to Northwest Press' exacting standards.
You can opt to get a twin-pack of DANGEROUS WOMEN and its companion collection The Lavender Menace, for 26 tales of queer villainy in all! (Early-bird contributors can get The Lavender Menace included for free!)
We've also got reward tiers that include our award-winning anthologies Qu33r and Anything That Loves, first issues of our comics series Dash, A Waste of Time, Rise, and The Legend of Bold Riley, and even a deluxe "mega pack" that includes every still-in-print book and comic that Northwest Press has ever released!
"Evil. Was it born this way? Maybe these villains knew from the very beginning, maybe not, but by the time you get to meet them, they've come through the crucible and learned to accept themselves for who they are."—from the introduction by Erica Friedman
Date Night, by Tristan J. Tarwater (Hen and Chick, The Valley of Ten Crescents) — "Her real passion: taking advantage of security loopholes to amass a fortune, exposing hypocrites in all levels of government in the most damning and soul destroying way possible and fighting Lady Brawn, who she loved to punch in her stupid face."
Gentleman Jack by Barbara Ann Wright (Coils, Paladins of the Storm Lord) — "The gold rush in California beckons. They say a man can make his fortune there, but I intend to be a queen."
Eden's Revenge by Missouri Vaun (Valley of Fire, Whiskey Sunrise) — "David Fleming had been the catalyst for something that had become a much larger crusade for Eden, the demise of the so-called free market system and the wealthy assholes who profited from it."
Fallen by Audrey Chase (debuting in Dangerous Women!) — "A killing spree hadn’t been a part of her plans but she rarely plans. Chaos is its own reward."
Glitter Bomb by Emily Kay Singer ("Kitsune Tales," Parmeshen) — "Who would have thought the glorious defender of Brighthaven would shove a kid out a window? Totally impressive. And kind of incredibly hot."
For Want Of A Heart by A. Merc Rustad ("What Becomes Of The Third-Hearted", "The Gentleman of Chaos") — "I take Mirdonna's hand. She lifts it and kisses my knuckles. Her chill breath burns my skin and I shiver. It's not unpleasant, this pain. 'Ask and you shall receive,' I tell her. 'Oh, I will.'"
So Many Things Seem Filled With The Intent by Jude McLaughlin (Wonder City Stories, Ephemera) — "Mom and Dad are such decent people. I can't imagine what they'd think of me if they knew about the… killing part."
The Prado by Chance by Leia Weathington (Deep Engines, The Legend of Bold Riley) — “Keep your gun on the table if it will make you feel better.” Rachel said. “But I insist we eat before the food gets cold. I put a great deal of time into assembling the menu.”
Jaguar Light by Susan Smith (Of Drag Kings and the Wheel of Fate, Burning Dreams) — "For years the world had been her territory, roaming freely and alone, seizing up any bright beautiful thing that caught her attention, pretty girls, glowing gems, sparkling baubles, leaving it all as easily when the urge to roam seized her."
Final Grades by Erica Friedman (Shoujoai ni Bouken, "Playing House") — "Yes, you burn with passion, yes, you desire vengeance and control, of course you have devastating plans and amazing powers, but there is so much more to supervillainy than that."
Risks and challenges
Northwest Press has been producing the finest quality comics and graphic novels for six years, and fulfilled numerous Kickstarter projects. DANGEROUS WOMEN has been completed in full, so sending it to press and putting it in the hands of readers shouldn't present any challenges, if we at least make our minimum goal.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)