The safest and most technologically advanced pair of cycling gloves ever made. Period.
Our Kickstarter campaign is over, but you can still get a Zackees Turn Signal Glove. Head over to www.zackees.com for more info and to place an order.
Those who try our gloves, love them!
VentureBeat - “...the greatest gift to cyclists since the helmet.”
Self Magazine - "...it makes us feel safer about riding the streets at night."
HuffingtonPost - "A pair of gloves could save your life"
CNET - "...enough to encourage a new era of turn signal use."
NBC Bay Area - "...the next fashion in cycling gloves. One that could only come from the tech world."
Fastcoexist - "...the same turning indicators as cars, so everyone knows where you're going."
Tree Hugger - "The gloves are ridiculously easy to use...nicely made, comfortable and very well padded, better than the riding gloves I wear now."
Welcome to the future, now here are your turn signal gloves...
What makes these turn signal gloves so great?
- High Quality Textiles. We wanted to create the best possible glove that would compete against the top glove makers. Therefore we added comfortable leather palms, an absorbent towel around the thumb, retro-reflective trim and breathable spandex throughout.
- Washable. The turn signal electronics are protected with a water proof coating, allowing you to wash your gloves like other delicate clothing.
- Super bright LEDs. How can they be so bright when using such a small battery? Efficiency. Our LEDs are some of the most efficient on the market at converting power into light. A light sensor boosts light output during the day!
- Super long battery life. We hate changing batteries as much as you do. That's why our gloves get 3-6 months of daily active use (when used with four minutes of active blinking a day).
- Metal contact switch. We spent months making the perfect activation switch between the thumb and index finger. We found that metal rivets are by far the most natural to use and the sound they make is strangely addicting.
- Durability. We use premium thread, ultra-flex wire and we encase the electronics in a durable polymer. These gloves are designed tough.
To buy the gloves, click the "Back This Project" button in the upper right corner and we'll send you a pair of gloves as a reward. The amount you donate will determine the type of glove you get as a reward.
- $69 will get you our standard glove, with a free set of high-capacity batteries that will run for an incredible six months with daily use! Replacement batteries can be found at most grocery and convenient stores.
- $99 will get you our standard glove + Ultrabright upgrade. This upgrade uses includes four exotic lithium-ion rechargeable coincells and a custom designed USB charger. We are calling this combo the Ultrabright upgrade because the gloves are significantly brighter with rechargeable coincells. If $99 is too much, you can buy the $69 version and upgrade later through our website at zackees.com!
Buying now will save you money. Our bare bottom price is made possible because we are shipping directly to you, cutting out the middleman. This means that our price on Kickstarter is less than retail. If you miss the Kickstarter and buy your Turn Signal Gloves at retail, you will pay more for the same glove because of markup.
Using the Gloves
The gloves are designed such that you can signal in front of you without having to take your hands off of the handle bars. Signaling behind you is easy as well; simply extend your hand and press the contact plates together. The light will flash toward drivers behind you so that they can see your intent.
Signaling Behind: Changing Lanes
You may find yourself needing to get around a car that's blocking the bike lane. Extend your left hand and active the turn signal gloves and check the lane for oncoming traffic. Signaling your intent before you pop out of that bike lane will go a long way in making your intent clear, keeping you safer from other drivers sharing the road.
Signaling Behind: Turning Right
Bikes and skateboards typically don’t have brake lights that show drivers that you are slowing down. When you’re using the same lanes that cars use, this can be dangerous. The turn signal gloves make it obvious that you are about to change direction, letting drivers know that they need to be cautious of their speed.
Signaling in Front: Turning Left
You are approaching an intersection. Is that car coming toward you going to turn right, turn left, or go straight? Do they see you? Make sure you’re clear about what you plan to do to take confusion out of this situation. The turn signal gloves make this easy.
Signaling in Front: Turning Right
You approach a four way stop at the same time as the car in front of you. The car in front wants to turn left. You want to turn right. Who has right of way? The person making the right turn? Or the person in the bigger vehicle? The law says it’s you. Be seen and make that clear.
Crossing an Intersection
It’s getting dark and you have to cross a busy intersection. Signal your presence using the turn signal gloves and take the risk out of getting home from your run.
The gloves support two types of batteries, rechargeable and disposable. The rechargeable batteries can deliver larger bursts of power and we have tuned the gloves to be the brightest when using the rechargeable battery. With disposable batteries, we have optimized the performance of the gloves for improved battery life. The gloves can detect which batteries have been installed and adjust their performance accordingly. A low battery is indicated with quick, dim blinks of the signal.
USB Battery Charging
We couldn't find a charger for the rechargeable coin cell batteries that met our standard of quality, so we are creating our own!
The charger is simple in its design, safe, and easy to use. Just plug it into any USB port and insert your batteries to start charging.
Feedback from the community
You have something to tell us? Let us know. Fire away, we love hearing you opinions and you can help us make the product better by filling out our 1-minute questionnaire.
About the Makers
Founder of Zackees. Prior to starting Zackees I was a Software Engineer at Google for five and a half years where I was known for integrating Google Earth into the Audi Navigation system for the A8 (and later other car lines). Url: http://y2u.be/t_YlOMrSm2I
I started working with electronic clothing in 2010 when a friend of mine in Fashion crashed at my house after burning man. I’ve been hooked ever since. In April of 2013 I invited New York fashion designer, Wheylan Dean-Ford, to make electronic clothing with me. We came up with five designs which can be seen at www.futuretechwear.com. One of these designs was our earliest prototype of the Turn Signal Gloves. From April until now I've been improving the look, usability, and durability. In August of this year I realized that I had something very special but it became clear that I could not bring these Turn Signal Gloves to market as a hobby. Therefore after much soul searching I decided to leave Google in August and dedicate my time to bringing my Turn Signal Gloves to the market.
Co-founder of Zackees. I work as a Senior Design Engineer at Nuvation (www.nuvation.com). I design electronics for a living! You may have seen the combat robots I’ve worked on after hours with my buddies at Nuvation (http://www.nuvation.com/tags/combat-robots) along with a bunch of the other cool stuff we build there. I joined the Zackees team in June and created the electronics that make the gloves work. I helped realize the high level of integration between clothing and electronics that the Zackees Turn Signal Gloves embody. I have built interactive electronic clothing in the past and I was fortunate enough to have my work featured in the San Francisco WearTechCon (http://instagram.com/p/WYztSkr458/). Check out this video for a closer look! http://y2u.be/H7mVQotDiDs.
1. We will be successfully funded (thank you!)
2. We start ramping production on electronics and glove manufacturing. We have built a relationship with a major glove manufacturer who will take our circuit boards and put them into gloves. Estimated completion date is end of March. First samples arrive at the end of February and we start our quality control processes.
3. Final units start being produced and tested. Shippable gloves are ready by the end of April.
4. We send your glove, along with many others to our fulfillment partner who then sends your Turn Signal Gloves to your home.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The biggest challenge that we've had is how to get high volume manufacturing at a quality that our customers expect at a price they can afford.
My cofounder and I have spent the last three months going to trade shows and networking with companies that have experience in contract manufacturing. From this networking we've established business relationships with trustworthy brokers that are assisting us in creating an amazing gloves. We understand that building 10 of something and building thousands of that same thing are two vastly different activities and have been preparing to meet this challenge since we started down this path of bringing our vision to you.
The electronics are going to be made right here in America and the cofounder of Zackees, Murat Ozkan is especially qualified to oversee this production.
Sending the final packaged product out to all of our backers is another challenge we are anticipating. This kind of logistics is usually the sort of thing you don't see but can become a major obstacle if the proper preparation isn't done. This is another area we have budgeted time and effort for in our project plan.
We are offering the gloves in sizes extra-small, small, medium, large and extra-large.
Why did you decide to have the turn signal point at a right angle? Shouldn’t the arrow point toward the knuckles?
The US, Canada and Europe allow alternative signaling in which you extend your arm out in the direction that you intend to turn. This is how we recommend you use Zackees Turn Signal Gloves.
Furthermore, having the arrow position in our product allows you signal in front of you without having to take your hands off the handle bars!
If the signal is not blinking, they’re already off! The gloves wake up from their off state whenever they detect that the contact pads are pressed together.
If I throw the gloves in my backpack and the contact pads get stuck pressed together, won’t that drain the battery?
The gloves will automatically shut themselves off after a set period of time of being on to prevent the battery from draining in situations like these.
Mounting the turn signals on the bike has four main drawbacks:
1) The turn signals can be stolen while the bike is parked.
2) The placement of lights under the seat is not very visible.
3) It's cumbersome and time consuming to mount.
4) Signaling in front and behind requires two sets of mounted turn signals.
Zackees Turn Signal Gloves are a better solution because the gloves can't be stolen off your bike, the lights on the gloves are more visible, there is no mounting involved, and there’s less clutter on your bike.
This is not an easy question to answer since it is heavily dependent on how you use them. If the gloves blink for a total of 5 minutes per day, based on the behavior we have given them right now you will get:
• 6 months of use for disposable batteries riding at night
• 3.5 months of use for disposable batteries riding on a bright day
• 16 days of use for rechargeable batteries riding at night
• 8 days of use for rechargeable batteries riding on a bright day
We are still tweaking the behavior based on battery type and brightness in daylight, dusk, and dawn conditions. We plan to work with our early adopter backers to tweak these settings so that they strike the right balance between performance and battery life.
Two types of batteries are supported, both in a “2032” size (20 mm diameter, 3.2 mm thick):
1) Disposable batteries supported are 3 volt “lithium” cells. Battery models of this type will include the following names on the package: “CR2032”, “BR2032”, “DL2032”, “EA2032”, “ECR2032”, “LM2032”, “5004LC”, “KCR2032”, “L14”.
2) Rechargeable batteries supported are 3.7 volt “lithium ion” cells. Battery models of this type will include the following names on the package: “LR2032”, “LIR2032”.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
Pledge $1 and get a virtual hive five! We'll also keep you up to date with everything happening with Zackees Turn Signal Gloves. You can also sign up for updates at www.zackees.comEstimated delivery:
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
Zackees logo on a vinyl sticker. Show your support for Zackees by getting a high quality sticker in the mail!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Come party with us in San Francisco on Saturday, January 25th! The location will be determined by how many people sign up for this reward package. The more people that come the better the place we can rent out.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $49 or moreYou selected
One standard Turn Signal Glove to wear on one hand. We are calling this the MJ edition after the king of pop!Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $59 or moreYou selected
100 backers All gone!
EARLY BIRDS Help us get started! One pair of Black Turn Signal Gloves. This glove pair will retail for more than $100. As a special thanks, you'll get your glove pair from the first mass production batch. Free shipping to USA. (Add $15 for international shipping.)Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $65 or moreYou selected
298 backers Limited (2 left of 300)
EARLY BIRDS - SECOND CHANCE! Miss the first Early Bird special? Here's your second chance! One Pair of Black Turn Signal Gloves. As a special thanks, you'll get your glove pair from the second mass production batch. Free shipping to USA. (Add $15 for international shipping.)Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $69 or moreYou selected
One pair of Turn Signal Gloves in black spandex, as shown. Free shipping to USA. (Add $15 for international shipping.)Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
One pair of Turn Signal Gloves in your choice of colored spandex. Available colors are Red, Blue or Pink. Free shipping to USA. (Add $15 for international shipping.)Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $99 or moreYou selected
Ultrabright rechargeable Turn Signal Gloves! These gloves are obscenely bright, considerably brighter than our standard gloves. This brightness increase is due to high performance lithium ion rechargeable batteries. You get your choice of color from Black, Red, Blue and Pink. In this package you will get four lithium-ion batteries - two to use while the other two charge. We will also include a high quality Zackees charger that plugs into a USB port. (Add $20 for international shipping.)Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $399 or moreYou selected
4 backers Limited (56 left of 60)
Want to be first to get your hands on the ultrabright rechargeable Turn Signal Gloves? You are an EARLY ADOPTER! Made right here in San Francisco, we begin building your glove as soon as you make your donation then ship your glove pair within a week of the campaign ending. Note that Early Adopter gloves can't be machined washed, and the supplied charger for the batteries is generic. (Add $20 for international shipping.)Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (1 left of 2)
Founding Partner - The Founder will fly out to your location within a few days after the campaign ends and deliver your ultrabright rechargeable gloves on a silver platter. Let's talk business! The platter will double as a plaque personally thanking you for your support.Estimated delivery:Add $2,000 USD to ship outside the US
- (30 days)