About this project
UPDATE: WEDNESDAY, NOV. 6, FROM 6 PM PST UNTIL 10 PM, play some fun games with us by controlling a fully mobile telepresence robot from anywhere in the world! Play beer pong bowling and make us drink every time you knock down a pin! Navigate a maze and make it out alive! Play robot soccer and knock a ball into a goal!
For a turn with the robot, go to our Kickstarter page, pledge $5 and select the reward called "ROBOT GAME LIVESTREAM TICKET." We will contact you with details on how to connect to the robot and start making AWESOMENESS happen!
UPDATE 10.30.13: Check out a new reward, the CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE REWARD! For a $50 pledge, this reward puts you in the driver’s seat. We will make a video just for you, and you can guide and shape how it turns out! You pick the scenario you want to see Ava in and choose how she responds along the way, and we’ll make a video based on your choices. We’ll also work in a name or phrase of your choice. There are only three of these rewards available!
Misfits. Knife-fights. Government cover-ups. Ancient curses. Good versus evil. Overlords from another dimension.
That’s right. This web series is going to punch the internet in the face.
We started the journey ourselves – writing the scripts, assembling a team, shooting as much of the project as we could afford – but we can’t complete this adventure alone. To go above and beyond the scope of a traditional web series, we need help from you to make it all happen.
Here are a few clips from what we have already filmed:
Ava has been through a lot of shit in her life. Her mother died when she was very young, she mostly raised herself, and she is a frequently unemployed graphic artist due to her morbid tastes and problem with authority. Life has made her hardened, cynical, and sometimes difficult to be around – but she has never stopped fighting for the things she believes in. Her struggles have made her strong, and she’ll need every ounce of that strength to face the dangers lurking right around the corner.
Grimsley and Mercer
Grimsley (above) and Mercer (not pictured) gained physical form and built a kingdom in the Realm of the Dead, a dimension of dead energy that had previously been formless and barren. Unable to sustain their kingdom with the energy they had, they turned their attention to the energy of the living. With Ava’s immense inner-strength, she became their prime target.
Kylee is Ava’s best friend and fellow outsider. She’s shy and a little awkward, but she’s extremely smart and tries to see the bright side of things. She may not be the ass-kicking machine that Ava is, but she’s very helpful to have around in a pinch – if she can learn to believe in herself!
Nervous, paranoid, and a strong believer in UFOs, many people look at Maynard as the town weirdo, but beneath all that he’s an insightful, soulful guy. Ava claims that she hates him, but considering all the mischief and misadventures he gets into, it may only be a matter of time before their paths cross.
Ava's neighborhood is populated by all sorts of odd characters. With mysteries and secrets at every turn, you never know who she is going to run into!
Zack and Arielle met in Los Angeles in 2009, fell in love, and moved in together. They have always been happy with each other but found themselves struggling with the other parts of their lives. Both creative types, they were frustrated by the obstacles involved with breaking into the Hollywood entertainment industry and doing all the menial odd jobs to get by in the meantime.
So they created Ava Snow as their own personal hero to inspire them. They channeled their hopes and frustrations into Ava Snow, and she became a hybrid of the traits they needed and wanted: someone who never took crap, who never stopped fighting, who refused to conform to what others wanted. She became a hero forged by the real life struggles of her writers.
The whole thing spiraled from there to include imaginative sci-fi-fantasy landscape in which Ava tries to figure out her real world problems while stumbling upon mysteries, epic adventures, and parallel worlds. Writing these stories inspired Zack and Arielle to keep fighting, and now they want these tales of heroics to do the same for you!
A good idea can only take you so far. You need really great people to help you execute it. That's why we're really proud of the talented group of people that make up our team, which includes a visual effects artist from Game of Thrones, a promo editor from Tron Legacy and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, a stuntperson from The Dark Knight Rises, No Country For Old Men, Space Trek: Deep Space Nine, and numerous Seth Rogen movies, the director of photography of Ridley Scott's TV show Prophets of Science Fiction, and the sound designer from 50/50 and The Expendables.
- Arielle Max Davidsohn: Ava Snow (also co-creator/co-writer/producer)
- Christopher Jenkins Holmes: Maynard Sherman
- Breeanna Judy: Kylee McGue
Also featuring Sam Proof, Robert Paterno, and John Baumgaertner.
- Zack Drisko: co-creator/co-writer/producer/director
- Andrew Parkhurst: co-producer/director of photography
- Matt Prater: producer
- Russ Glasgow: editor
- Neil Fernandez: associate producer/camera operator
- Bob Jackson: sound designer
- Andrew Mendoza: production sound mixer
- Daniel Scruggs: visual effects artist
- Steve Rizzo: stunt coordinator
- Rachael Nisenkier: associate producer
- Carmen Sprague: makeup and hair
- Rebecca Hu: production consultant
- Mark Roe: Kickstarter editor
- Nick Stewart: behind-the-scenes editor
If you want to learn more about individual members of our team, check out our site!
We're looking to make a complete pilot episode with the funds. We have a lot of people ready to contribute their skills for free, but even then, there are still things we have to pay for. Here are the major places your funding will go:
- The costumes, special effects makeup, and props for the overlords: If our villains don’t look scary and badass, and they aren’t wielding the most devious instruments of evil you’ve ever seen, it kind of ruins the whole thing, doesn’t it?
- Food for the cast and crew: Shooting on an empty stomach turns a film crew into zombies. Fact. Stopping the zombie apocalypse is enough of a priority for us that we’re willing to allocate some funds to do so.
- Lighting and grip equipment: We have already gotten cameras and some of the other gear donated, but we still need to rent some lights and stands to make sure it looks great.
- Music: Great music makes you feel the suspense, the scares, the laughs, and the adventure so much more. Imagine Indiana Jones saving the day without the typical fanfare playing in the background. How about “Inception” without those thunderous WHOMPS? For the above clips we temporarily borrowed music to give you an idea of where we’re going – but ultimately we need our own music, and we want to make sure we get the best.
$8,000: Our $5,000 initial goal allows us the BARE MINIMUM required to get what we need to make the pilot. This first stretch goal gives us the ability to get exceptional quality.
$43,000: If we hit this number, we can make an entire season of “Ava Snow Battles Death.” We’ll tell you the story of girl meets boy, girl loves boy, boy gets possessed by the Overlords of Death. It’s a fun-yet-heartfelt story, and we have some great fight sequences, effects, and general epicness that we can’t wait to show you!
Risks and challenges
There’s always the risk when doing sci-fi-fantasy that it comes off as completely ridiculous and not believable. We also will have to contend with potential scheduling conflicts, difficulty obtaining permits, last-minute cancelations, and many of the obstacles that get in the way of a low-budget production -- or any production for that matter.
That’s why we’re choosing to do this campaign. Meeting our fundraising goals help us really do the things we say we’re going to do and give you the awesome web series that you deserve. We can continue to achieve a high-level production value and be better prepared to respond to any challenges that may arise along the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (40 days)