Powered by our patent pending technologies, iFind is the world's first Bluetooth item locator that requires no battery.
Funding for this project was suspended by Kickstarter on June 26, 2014.
See full bio
Use this space to cheer the creator along, ask questions, and talk to your fellow backers. Please remember to be respectful and considerate. Thanks!
For people new to the comments section here and wondering wth this is all about, this is for you.
Hints that iFind was a scam:
1) The reports the team has posted are using numbers that aren't really possible. (that's the talk about the wifi routers, etc. The routers they used do not output 300/500mW like the report states)
2) There's no mention of the shake-to-find-your-phone feature they advertize.
3) No videos of a working prototype. That little clip in the video they show isn't real. You can see on the top of the iPhone screen that the Bluetooth system is off, which you would definitely need to have on to pair a Bluetooth device.
4) The dimensions they give are too small to house the surface area an antenna would need to pick up all the EM's they claim. Also, they report that the device uses/needs other EM sources but never say what those other sources will be.
5) At the very, very least the iFind will have to be "recharged" by placing it next to a strong wifi signal once a week or month. In retrospect, this would be fine. Yet WeTag has not brought this up when asked.
6) The transparency is completely non-existent.
7) As Mr Bungle pointed out, Apple will not allow apps to "rope" at 5 second intervals. It must be less than 2, which makes the 2nd report even more suspect.
8) All "testing" has been done themselves. No one outside the company has seen anything including some of their main benefactors.
9) Their company address is some guys house. Who knows if the house belongs to any of them.
10) WeTag only posts to attack commenters and constantly accuses them of working for a competitor. They do this to move the important questions down thread where people won’t see them.
11) WeTag claims to update the FAQ’s “every single day” yet hasn’t touched them since June 10th. Before that, June 1st.
12) The patent numbers (US: 14281043 EU: 14172842.8) don’t yield results according the the US Patent Office.
The "creators" based this project on hokey science, and they have a lack of respect for genuine concern. From day 1 their comments have been nothing but sarcastic, demeaning and hostile. This was a scam and couldn't prove otherwise to us or Kickstarter!
The Refined Geek (best article imo)
Slashdot: News for Nerds
Faced with overwhelming backer documentation about the problems with this project, KS actually did the right thing. We'll never know what took them this long to do it but the net result is the same. Thanks, KS!
"• A related party posing as an independent, supportive party in project comments or elsewhere
• Misrepresenting support by pledging to your own project "
Yeah ... we are the trolls ... be glad you didn't waste your money on their Hawaii vacation.
Oh and thanks jeffrey, too!
Thanks KS. I never believed fully in their claims and I was observing till the end, when I would have taken down my pledge. It is a pleasure that this time they acted and we do not have another visionairre affair (which I was lucky to escape).
Thanks kickstarter. Faith in you restored. And thanks to people like sarah, dr tune, roma, kitty and the many others who were persistent in letting us know the red flags about the project. Lurked the comments section for weeks and glad this project has been shut down. Coming out from silently reading to say my thanks.
Will keep this project in my Fav for a while to see happiness :)
This could have been the second "Visionnaire Fountain Pen". I'm glad kickstarter caught this just before it gets funded.
Sorry, what happened?
meh. Well, it appears all the trolls won. If this was actually legit, you just ruined a good project. So I sure hope you were right, otherwise you're just stupid.
What the hell happened here?!
What happened ?
Well done peeps :) justice and common sense prevails!
Done. Period. I definitely have faith in KS.
Wow! Great job kickstarter! I feel very safe with you watching over things! Thanks!!
What I should say now :)
@Jeffrey. Gah!! I knew they were pledging to their own kickstarter. Freaking rats!
@Ian You are probably 100% right.
WoW Kickstarter, you have gained my 100% trust back! awsome!!!
This is a message from Kickstarter’s Trust & Safety team. We’re writing to notify you that the iFind - The World's First Battery-Free Item Locating Tag project has been suspended, and your $1.00 USD pledge has been canceled. A review of the project uncovered evidence of one or more violations of Kickstarter's rules, which include:
• A related party posing as an independent, supportive party in project comments or elsewhere
• Misrepresenting support by pledging to your own project
• Misrepresenting or failing to disclose relevant facts about the project or its creator
• Providing inaccurate or incomplete user information to Kickstarter or one of our partners
Accordingly, all funding has been stopped and backers will not be charged for their pledges. No further action is required on your part.
We take the integrity of the Kickstarter system very seriously. We only suspend projects when we find strong evidence that they are misrepresenting themselves or otherwise violating the letter or spirit of Kickstarter's rules. As a policy, we do not offer comment on project suspensions beyond what is stated in this message.
Kickstarter Trust & Safety
I imagine it took so long because KS gave ifind a window of time to correct all their problems and when ifind failed to do so within the window KS did what they had too.
THANK YOU KICKSTARTER
Yes! Kickstarter!!!! Funding Suspended!
Not yet Ian, I reckon KS has some explaining to do. Why it took so long.
Project suspended! all faith in KS restored?
iFind is SUSPENDED! Well done KS! FINALLY!
I take my hat off to you Al, for being very brave. I sure hope you get your money back later down the track.
here is another example, they are not getting to much attention but I still figured it out with a couple of minutes on google. http://kck.st/UFEt1y
@Tan Huynh if you read my comments on mbolk, I like to see the better in everyone and as I have said here, I will be the first one to buy this product once it hits the market with great reviews, however it is too risky to get in early.
@Tan Huynh, I know and I gave up taking to Al, however I know from experience that kickstarter will not interfere, its upto the backers to do something. here are some great examples of backers taking down scams, and I'm proud to have helped.
number 2 erased his entire post, however you can see it here before he erased it: http://www.iamabacker.com/2014/06/wi-stick-wireless-flash-drive-for-all.html
@Simon+Al Calavicci: I would suggest you guys stop talking about this. It is impossible if you want people do either way and will keep forever on your topic. Also there are many logical evidences showing this project is not real. Let's wait and see action from Kickstarter.
well before he posted that, it did jump by about 10k, so either he did it or someone else did.
@AL, Can you post a screenshot of your payment to this project for $10k? I'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is.
On a different subject, I have a favor to ask everyone who is still here. I have been following http://kck.st/1mAeSQy for a while and his first project was unsuccessful, he is making works of are and they are fully customizable , and cheaper than brand names like pandora, trollbeads, persona to name a few. his project is about to end, please take a look and if you like his work please help him out, btw check his first project for more examples of his work.
if people change bids to 1$ nothing will happen. they will get paid and people will lose money.
if everyone changes to $2500 and dispute in 15 with amazon. Both amazon and kick-starter will have to respond.
I'm convinced they paid him to do this!
lol, ok. your giving them money and allowing the project to be successful so they can steal $500k.
I think you are the person work for weTag if you can't understand my logic.
No! the only 100% protection is $1!
Ok, change your pledge to 2.5k for 100% protection.
Some of the projects I mentioned in my post http://www.iamabacker.com/2014/06/ifind-alleged-scam-raised-550k-and.html have been funded over a year ago with nothing to this day..
15day is nothing and $2500 is not 10k...
Max, $2,500 after 15 days.
amazon has refunded money on several of my failed projects in the past.
If amazon refunds you kick-starter removes you as a backer, even after the project is successful.
You don't understand. I agree it is a scam. And the only way to stop it is to make kickstarter end the project. Buy changing your amount to $1 your voice will be unheard and the project will be successful. To change it to 10k your voice will be heard when the pledge amount skyrockets. Kickstarter will have to respond.