Traditional Fitness and Yoga mats are often clumsy and frustrating to roll up. We all have seen people walking out of the gym or yoga studio with their mats half unrolled or even falling out of their bags. Not to mention how many rolled up mats unroll themselves into a mess in the back of a car. Yes of course, you can use straps or even stuff them into a fitness bag, but there has to be a better way… and there is!
Innovation : Solution
Our Inventor, Aaron Thornton, a fitness and yoga enthusiast, decided to find a solution to solve this annoying problem. He set a goal to design a fitness / yoga mat that will roll up by itself and stay rolled up tightly while traveling or in storage without the need for straps or bags.
Inspired by a simple slap-on wristband and through many trials and errors, Aaron created a prototype of the very first self-rolling yoga mat. In the process, he not only invented a mat that rolls up by itself, but he also created a mat that stays completely flat while it is in use. Although the two self-rolling bands were still fully exposed in this early stage of the development, he knew he had something so unique and innovative that he began the process of applying for a U.S. Utility Patent.
Aaron, along with co-founder Dino May, then paired up with a long-time friend Yu Tsai, creative director of 88 Phases and celebrity/fashion photographer. The team began collaborating on the next phase of the design process to create a mat that is both functional and aesthetically beautiful.
Working intensively for a year, together with the help of engineers, product designers, and art director, YoYo Mats was created and our patent was granted!
How Does It Work
1. With TOP side facing up, simply toss or unroll your YoYo Mat away from you.
2. Unroll the mat completely, then give it a click to lock in your YoYo Mat to stay flat.
3. Practice your fitness or yoga with no worries of your YoYo Mat curling or bunching up.
4. When you finish, simply FLIP your YoYo Mat over. There are many ways to flip the YoYo Mat over. Your YoYo Mat will always roll up all by itself.
5. Or flip your Yoyo Mat over completely flat and then just give it a click. Your YoYo Mat will also roll up all by itself.
6. Give your YoYo Mat a tap and twist if necessary. Your YoYo Mat will stay tightly rolled up without any straps or bags.
1. Custom-designed anti-slip surface pattern helps your grip even when the mat is wet.
2. Custom-designed round corners.
3. Dual-layered and 5.5 mm thick to provide a perfect balance of comfort, support and portability. Its light weight design makes travel a breeze.
4. Closed-cell construction seals mat from moisture, bacteria and odor.
5. 72” long and extra wide 28” to accommodate self-rolling bands so they are not intrusive to your fitness practice.
6. Made using TPE - an eco-alternative material that’s biodegradable, latex-free, PVC-free, and free of: DEHP, DBP, BBP, DINP, DIDP, and DNOP phthalates.
Final Logo Selection
We have already, in collaboration with our manufacturer, successfully built the prototypes that you see in our demo videos.
Our next step is to go from prototype to manufactured products. Our manufacturer is in place. The machines are on stand-by, ready to be switched on, with our dedicated team ready to roll.
Stretch Goal #1
YoYo Mats in the News!
Risks and challenges
Manufacturing YoYo Mats
To make sure we do not run into design problems and unexpected costs, we have been reviewing our prototypes and production process with our manufacturer. We have studied various design, production constructions and material options. Our creative team has the experience and is ready to address any unforeseen challenges that may arise during production.
Shipping in November 2015
We plan to place the manufacturing order by end of September 2015. We will be reviewing samples in October and expect to have YoYo Mats ready to ship in November.
- (60 days)