About this project
Creative Activities to Cultivate Joy, Wonder, and Discovery in You and Your Garden
Hi there, I’m Gayla Trail, the obsessive gardener behind YouGrowGirl.com. Over the past 17 years I have published 4 books, as well as thousands of articles on urban gardening and food growing. My next project is a different kind of garden book and I want to publish it with your help.
Unlike my other books, Grow Curious is not about how to grow a garden or even specifically why to garden. It’s about connecting to your garden.
Connection is a crucial part of the human experience: We need and crave closeness with people, nature, and ourselves. Yet these sorts of deep relationships are something that many of us feel are missing, or just not quite fully realized in our hectic lives… for those of us living in cities and spending hours behind a computer screen, a connection to nature can feel especially out of reach. It’s why so many of us set out to grow a garden in the first place.
Grow Curious is a guidebook and manifesto to help gardeners interact and connect more deeply with their gardens through seasonal as well as open-ended activities that promote exploration, discovery, inspiration, and creativity. As an urban gardener who has grown in just about every conceivable space: from a roof, to a community plot, a guerrilla street garden, and a backyard, I know that gardeners and gardens are not one-size fits all. Whether your garden is an expansive acreage, a balcony, or is a part of a community allotment, I’ve written this book to help you see your little piece of the earth from new angles and experience gardening on another level. This book is playful, but also serious and my goal is to help awaken and develop curiosity, pride, learning, and most importantly, joy.
There’s no other book like this for gardeners out there. I hope you’ll be a part of making it.
- The experienced gardener who has lost their way and become disenchanted with their garden or the act of gardening.
- The perfectionist who is results oriented but wants to break away from their constraints and have more playful fun in the garden.
- Anyone who wants to explore another side to gardening, learn to love it more, and be more creative, attuned, and playful in the process.
- The beginner gardener who is looking for inspiration, direction, and/or permission to experience their garden on another level.
I am funding this book through Kickstarter because the cost to publish and print a high-quality book like this is insurmountable; I need your help to bring it to life. In order to encourage the possibility of making this project happen, I have set the target goal as low as possible. Professional editing, printing, Kickstarter fees, and taxes are all that is covered. However, I will not be paid for my work and neither will my partner Davin Risk, a professional graphic designer who is donating many hours of his time to illustrate, design, and typeset the book, as well as convert it to 3 different digital formats. This project could not come to fruition without his talent and generosity.
- Print a second book edition.
- Distribution and marketing.
- Possible salary for designer Davin Risk and myself.
- Help to fund work on the next book.
GAYLA TRAIL is a leading garden writer and photographer who has been running YouGrowGirl.com for over 16 years. She is the author of best-selling books on urban gardening, garden to table cooking, crafting, and home preserving including:
- You Grow Girl: The Groundbreaking Guide to Gardening (Simon & Schuster)
- Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces (Clarkson Potter/Random House) [with translations in German, Croatian, and Portuguese.]
- Easy Growing: Organic Herbs and Edible Flowers from Small Spaces (Clarkson Potter/Random House)
- Drinking the Summer Garden: Homegrown Thirst Quenchers, Concoctions, Sips, and Nibbles
Risks and challenges
While I don’t anticipate any risks, there are a few steps that will be out of my hands and delays are possible.
1. Printing Delays: I’ve worked with printers as a graphic designer and I’ve been through the entire publishing process many times before, from writing and editing, to artwork, to design and layout, to working with the printer. I also know from these past experiences that delays can occur.
2. Technical Issues: This is not our first experience preparing a book as efiles; however, technical glitches can occur, causing a short delay.
3. International Shipping: International customers assume the cost of any customs charges due upon delivery. Shipping times may be unpredictable and slower than anticipated.
However, in the unlikely event that delays occur, you will be notified by email. Should this campaign not reach its goal, you will not be charged and this book will not be printed.
Thank you for supporting my work and this book!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)