About this project
Sprinting (or Dancing) to the Finish!
Good News for Singaporean Backers!
We're pleased to announce that thanks to a special transport arrangement, all backers in Singapore only have to pay domestic US shipping rates (i.e. none at all)! So, if you're based in Singapore, please update your pledges! Now, please help us reach our stretch goal and benefit Hurricane Sandy relief efforts!
Thanks to you, we attained our initial goal of $8,000 on November 8. This 8 thing is proving weirdly lucky! So can you now help us reach $18,000 by Nov 18 so we can publish Vol. 2, unlock more rewards, and support Hurricane Sandy Relief efforts? Get details here!
MEET THE DIM SUM WARRIORS
What happens when you mix delicious Chinese delicacies with sensational Chinese martial arts adventures? You get the Dim Sum Warriors, of course!
A HIGH-KICKING COLLECTION
We want your help to transform our critically-acclaimed interactive bilingual iPad comic series about three kung fu-fighting dumplings who take on an evil mutant pot of instant ramen into a gorgeous 144 page, full color, 5.5” x 7.5” deluxe paperback book with library quality binding!
The book will collect episodes 1 to 6 of Dim Sum Warriors, our iPad comic app with interactive features that support the learning of Mandarin and English, which has been featured by Time magazine and the New York Times, and earning praise like:
- “Sodding brilliant!” - Chris Claremont, legendary writer of the Uncanny X-Men
- “What a great app! My kids and I loved tapping the interactive word balloons and switching back and forth between the languages!” - Gene Luen Yang, National Book Award nominee and Eisner Award-winning writer, American Born Chinese
- “...it’s hilarious... It not only has the usual entertainment reach of a kid-oriented manga title, it has built-in value for parents and educators around the world.” - Rob Salkowitz, author, Comic-Con and the Business of Pop Culture
- "Dim Sum Warriors is an outstanding application of digital technology, as an artform and a teaching tool.” - Ana Visneski, blogger, FliptheMedia.com: At the Crossroads of Media, Culture, and Technology
- "With Lee’s delightful illustrations and Goh and Woo’s engaging narrative, the characters could have been ingredients in a Waldorf salad and still been interesting." - Publishers Weekly
FROM PAD TO PRINT
We love digital technology and all the cool things we can do with it, but we know there’s something deeply satisfying about sitting in a comfy seat and leafing through actual pages, and also gazing at it as a beautiful, independent work of art on your bookshelf. That’s why we want your support to publish and distribute a print collection of Dim Sum Warriors, and bring their adventures to whole new audiences beyond just those who use tablets.
DIM SUM WARRIORS Volume One:
Enter The Dumpling!
While dodging his royal duties at the Palace, Crown Prince Roastpork ‘Porky’ Bao stumbles upon a sinister plot brewing in the peaceful kingdom that will soon pit the four Dim Sum Warrior clans – the Fried Kung Academy, the Boiled Kung Temple, the Baked Kung Sisterhood and the School of Steam Kung – against each other. Will even their legendary skill and bravery be able to overcome the forces of intrigue and suspicion, and the machinations of the suave but unsavory Colonel Quickynoodle? (Imagine a cross between Robert Downey, Jr. and an evil pot of instant ramen.) Can Prince Porky rise above everyone’s dismissal of him as a pampered lump of dough and rescue the kingdom?
With a script by multiple award-winning screenwriters Colin Goh and Yen Yen Woo, and gorgeous full-color artwork by Soo Lee and Lauren Baker, this crazy martial arts adventure comedy about kung fu-fighting dumplings will make your belly jiggle with laughter, and maybe rumble with hunger.
LABOR OF LOVE
Hello and ni hao! Dim Sum Warriors is an all-ages, crazy martial arts adventure comedy about kung fu fighting dumplings. It’s written and produced by us: Yen Yen Woo and Colin Goh, a mom-and-pop team who made a decision 15 years ago, when we moved to New York, to try and engage in as many different creative experiences as possible.
So far we’ve:
- produced a satirical website that’s gotten us debated in our home country of Singapore’s parliament.
- published a dictionary of Singaporean vernacular English which the Times of London has called ‘invaluable’.
- written, directed and produced Singapore Dreaming, a feature film that’s picked up a bunch of awards like the Montblanc New Screenwriters Award at the San Sebastian International Film Festival, the Audience Award for Narrative Feature at the Asian-American International Film Festival in New York and the Best Asian Film Award at the Tokyo International Film Festival. It’s been screened in numerous countries and even at the Smithsonian Institution and the Brooklyn Museum of Art.
We were planning our next movie when the hugest creative experience of all happened - we had a baby girl. Our daughter was born very prematurely at 30 weeks, which means there was no third trimester. Taking care of her had to be our top priority, which meant shelving film, with its crazy, erratic schedules. So after some soul searching about what we could still achieve under the circumstances, we came up with Dim Sum Warriors.
Besides filmmaking, Colin's been a professional cartoonist for over 20 years, while Yen is an Associate Professor of education with a doctorate from Teachers College at Columbia University. We also wanted to do something for our little girl, for fighting so awesomely throughout those scary early days. (She’s now a healthy, happy 3 and a half year-old.)
Growing up in Singapore, both our families had two weekend rituals in common: going for a dim sum brunch, and then watching kung fu movies. Naturally, we continued this tradition in New York, with its great dim sum restaurants and bountiful DVD stores. Put all these things together, and it was kind of obvious to do a comic about kung fu-fighting Chinese snacks!
We also wanted it to give our daughter a sense of both her ethnic Chinese as well as her American heritage, so Yen Yen used her education background to design the comic as an interactive app that could also support learning English and Chinese. In the app, you can do cool things like tap word balloons to change the text from English to Chinese and back, or summon translations complete with hanyu pinyin pronunciation guides, as well as activate audio performances of the dialogue.
But we also met a lot of folks who sighed and said they couldn’t afford an iPad, and we knew we wanted them to enjoy Dim Sum Warriors too.
So we would really like your support to bring our wacky cast of characters to the printed page. All funds received will go towards the printing and distribution of Dim Sum Warriors Vol. 1 for an estimated late November release.
WE CAN’T DO IT WITHOUT YOU
As independent filmmakers, and now publishers of our own work, we're all too aware of the vagaries of the mainstream distribution and sales process. But we're also greatly invigorated by the opportunities that avenues such as Kickstarter offer independent creators like us, especially in terms of flexibility and connecting with our community.
In fact, we have actually gone ahead and sent the manuscript to the printer in order to deliver the print edition to you as quickly as possible after the Kickstarter campaign ends. We just hope enough of you support us, or else we'll be in real trouble!
To thank you for spreading the word and because we know you'll love our lovely dumplings once you read the comic, we've decided that for the duration of this Kickstarter campaign (21 days), we will give away:
- every single episode of our interactive bilingual iPad app FREE! Usual price $2.99 per episode) (Please note: free issues will stay in your iPad as long as you don't delete the app. Apple's in-app purchase system will not allow you to restore free downloads once deleted or on another device.) Click here to go to the App Store now.
- the iBooks edition of Dim Sum Warriors Volume 1 FREE! (Usual price 9.99) (Please note: this works on iBooks on the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.) To download, please look for Dim Sum Warriors through your device's iBooks store.
- the Kindle edition of Dim Sum Warriors Volume 1 FREE! (Usual price $9.99) (Please note: this works on all Kindle platforms, including the Kindle app on the iPad and iPhone, but not the Kindle desktop reader. This is a limitation of Amazon's.) Click here to download the Kindle edition now
*Recommendation: for technical reasons, if you intend to read Dim Sum Warriors Volume 1 on your iPhone or iPod Touch, we recommend the iBooks edition over the Kindle edition.
If we're super-lucky and somehow manage to raise more than our goal, we will be channelling all the additional funds into continuing the Dim Sum Warriors story (it's an epic saga with at least 3 volumes to go, if not more), and adapting it for new formats and media. We will also publish new titles!
In such a fortunate event, we'll definitely have a wealth of new gifts for our backers to express our gratitude for your support. So do bookmark this page and check back often for updates. Tell your friends too!
We're deeply committed to Dim Sum Warriors and we hope you'll join us on our adventures exploring this new publishing terrain!
Risks and challenges
We've spent the past 3 years putting Dim Sum Warriors together - from writing the script, to designing the characters and completing the artwork, the app and the eBook. We've been bootstrapping everything till now!
For the print edition, we have prepared all the artwork and files, proofed the colors for any distortions caused by the change between RGB and CMYK, and checked every single page to ensure they're trim-safe. We've chosen the high quality paper stock and the library-quality binding method.
We even sent the manuscript to the printers, who very (very!) kindly provided us a tiny number of preview copies that we were able to show at New York Comic Con (October 11th-14th). So we already know how beautiful the final edition will look!
The primary risk in not fulfilling this Kickstarter campaign is if we don't raise enough money to pay our printers so we can produce and distribute the actual run of the books. That would also land us in huge debt!
We're deeply, deeply committed to meeting all our obligations and we hope you'll join us for the crazy ride into the world of kung fu-fighting dumplings!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (21 days)