Production Update for March 2019
This is an important update, so please take time to read!
We know it says in our estimated delivery that the game will be released this April 2019, but unfortunately, that’s just not gonna happen! While most of the game’s content are done, we still need to consolidate them, put them in the game, apply proper polish, make sure that they’re all working properly and that everything are neatly tied together.
We’re still aiming to release the game this Q2 (May-June), and we’re working double-time to make it happen. However, if we get hit by further delays, it might get extended to Q3 2019 (June-September).
We’re very, very sorry about this. We know delays are not exactly what you guys want to hear, but the game is just not ready at this point. Our number one priority is to give you all a beautiful, polished game. Unfortunately, that takes a loooot of time to do, so we humbly ask for a little more of your patience and understanding.
So, what exactly is the state of the game?
For the past updates, we’ve been telling you all about the things that we’ve finished with the game. So for this update, let’s do the opposite of that. We’ll tell you what still needs to be done in each aspect:
- Scripting of character emotions and movements for each scene. Applying appropriate sound effects and background music. We need at least two-three more months for this.
- Balancing of story events. We need to make sure all the waifu routes are balanced, conditions to trigger each scene are working properly, and that all endings are achievable based on the needed relationship, stat, and other requirements.
- Extensive playtesting and balancing of the campaign (RPG). While our core systems are done and already implemented, we have yet to sit down as a team for the last time and actually play it to check how “fun” it is. If it’s still lacking, we might need to further tweak the mechanics.
- Final polish of the remaining CGs. All of our senior artists are hands-on on this, so unless something really terrible happens, we're positive that it'll be done this April.
- CG Animations. While our animators are working hard, we might need at least two-three more months for this due to the sheer volume of our CGs (100+).
- Battle Animations of the 2 additional bosses that we’ve added, which we felt was needed to spice up the RPG part of the game. This was put on hiatus to make way for CG animations.
- Additional 25++ item sprites. We realized that our current item sprites is just not gonna cut it. So we decided to add more to beef up the content.
- Recording has officially started! For the next couple of weeks, we will be joining our VO director and our actors during their recording sessions to provide feedback whenever necessary. We’re aiming to wrap everything up by the next month, including the audio engineering side of things.
- Cast actors for our 9 new minor characters. We were supposed to reveal the new characters this update, but we decided to postpone it in the hopes that we could announce them together with their respective VAs! We have already posted previews for some of these characters over at our Patreon, and will continue to do so over the next few weeks.
- Playtest the game once the Full VO is placed.
- Extensive QA of the game and all its features to make sure everything's running smoothly.
- Polish all the remaining unrefined parts and features. Our game is still lacking a lot of polish at this point, and generally not up to our standards yet.
- Extensive bug testing of the RPG mechanics/levels (related to game design).
Since all of the game's writing are done, we can now start localizing the game! As much as possible, we want the following languages already available on launch:
- Chinese translations, courtesy of Shanshan! She also provided the Chinese translations for our other game, The Letter.
- Portuguese translations, courtesy of our backer, Gerrion! Thank you so much for volunteering!
- Spanish translations, courtesy of our backer, Axc! Thank you so much for volunteering!
- Russian translations. We're still looking for volunteers who'll help us localize the game into RU. If you're interested or know someone who is, please message us!
Please message us if you'd like to volunteer in translating Love Esquire, either for the languages already stated above, or for a new one (i.e. German, French, etc.)!
- Implementation of 70+ achievements (+ art assets).
- Implementation of the gallery (where you can view all unlocked illustrations).
- Steam trading cards, badges, etc. (+ art assets).
- Update Yangyang Mobile’s website and Love Esquire’s website.
- Prepare trailers: teaser trailer, gameplay trailer, release trailer.
- Prepare any other necessary marketing materials that we’d need in the future (teaser images, posters, etc.) We haven’t made a list yet since we’re still busy with the game’s development.
We might’ve missed a few things, but this is basically the gist of what we still need to do. No doubt that we're already in the final stages of development, but the remaining 20% or so can be twice as hard and time-consuming than the rest of the dev cycle, because this is the point wherein everything is put and tested together.
Time flies by so fast when you’re working in the game industry, but rest assured that we’re doing our best to get Love Esquire into your hands as soon as possible, in a quality that we’re proud of!
Thanks for reading! ♡