Shovel Knight Unearths Alpha
We hit alpha this week! Wooo! While this is exciting news for us, lots of people were left scratching their heads… what exactly is an Alpha, you ask?
That answer changes a lot depending on the studio, but for us it means we have first pass completion of all content in the game. All features are implemented. All levels are playable. All bosses are fightable. All items are gettable! Everything is there. You can play the entire game from front to back. It’s all real!
The next step is heading towards beta. For us, beta means we will have all of that content finished, and the only outstanding issues in the game will be fixing small bugs and issues that remain. In the remaining weeks, our time will be spent doing playthroughs, playtesting, balance, iteration, polish, dialog, localization, testing, certification...exciting stuff. The polish that happens now is one of the most important phases of development!
And if you’re wondering why it took so long, let’s just say the game got a lot bigger than we originally intended, and we think everyone will be happy with that!
To celebrate this achievement, we created a NEW TRAILER...but you can’t see it here...keep reading...
Did you ever look at our web site and think it was a little… lacking? Maybe it was ironically bad, and we needed some spinning skull gifs or a harsher color scheme to really make your eyes hurt. Yeah, we knew it wasn’t so great…
Well, bleed from your eyes no more! We have totally retooled our web site into a destination for all things Yacht Club and Shovel Knight related! Videos, news, streaming schedules, character spotlights, insight into our design process, blogs about games, and general video game love will all be present here. We have a few posts already up there to start us off!
So come on! Visit the new site! We'll be mirroring all of our Kickstarter updates here, as well as lots of other fun stuff.
A moment of great excitement has occurred. To see the new trailer, go to our blog post about it!
Shovel Knight is the Cover of Nintendo Force!
What’s Nintendo Force? It’s a really cool magazine dedicated to all things Nintendo! If you remember Nintendo Power, this is like the spiritual successor, with many well-known contributors. We’re honored to grace the cover!
WOW! Check out this awesome cover art Erin did. Every main character in the game, lovingly rendered on a full two-page spread! NF hasn’t revealed the whole piece yet, so we have to keep the rest a secret for now. Inside the mag is an interview and preview, more cool art, and some new surprises too! It’s chock full of juicy SK info. Read more about it here:
Humble Store Survey Transfers Begin!
Remember when you filled out that Shovel Knight Kickstarter Survey? Good times...good times. Well, starting today we will begin transferring all of the digital delivery only information to the Humble Store datacenters in preparation for the game’s launch. We posted some information about the specifics of Humble Store before, but we’ve made some updates so that we’re all on the same page:
I received an email from Humble Store! Does that mean I can download the game? I can’t seem to find it!
- The game is not ready yet! Humble Store emails will be sent out before the game has officially released. This will allow you to do a few things:
- Confirm your email address, platform choice, and reward tier
- Download digital rewards (instruction manual, etc) as they become available
- Setup a Humble Store account so that you can log in later (optional)
How will the Humble Store work?
- The email that you provided in the survey will be the email used to redeem the game through the Humble Store.
- Once we have uploaded the Shovel Knight game to the Humble Store, we will send a message to the applicable reward tiers with a link that you can use to redeem Shovel Knight through the Humble Store. The same goes for digital rewards.
- If you requested a Steam Code, we will send a link to codes which can be used to redeem Shovel Knight on Steam.
- If you requested a 3DS or Wii U version, we will send a link to codes which can be used to redeem Shovel Knight on the Nintendo eShop.
If you requested a 3DS or Wii U version, you will be able to select your console’s region at time of code redemption. We are doing everything we can to keep the release dates as close as possible, but it is possible that different regions will be released on different days. In this case, additional regions will be selectable once Shovel Knight becomes available on that region’s eShop.
- The PC, Mac, and Linux versions will all eventually be available for direct download, DRM-free, via the Humble Store as they are released.
- Future updates to Shovel Knight can be downloaded through the Humble Store as they are released for PC, Mac and Linux. Steam, 3DS and Wii U will have updates delivered through that platform’s usual update method.
We chose to partner with the Humble Store for several important reasons:
- They are genuinely great people! They were super helpful and very flexible with us, which was a huge help when considering how to distribute Kickstarter reward downloads. They also wear some spiffy t-shirts.
- Easy and consistent distribution; a better experience than we could otherwise provide on our own.
- Unified Kickstarter distribution + direct orders = saves us a lot of time that we can spend on the game instead. Ability to provide all of the info / downloads for all platforms in one place.
Humble Store Accounts:
If you don’t already have a Humble Store account, you can create one here: https://www.humblebundle.com/signup This is not required, but we do recommend it.
Email Matching (IMPORTANT!)
If you do already have a Humble Store account, your Humble Store account email MUST be the “Email for game delivery” that you entered in your survey, otherwise you will not be able to add Shovel Knight to your Humble Library.
What if they don’t match?
Humble Store members can make any changes should something be incorrect, so fret not; just send us an email explaining what needs to change: firstname.lastname@example.org
I still have some questions about Humble Store!
The folks at Humble Bundle are around to help with all sorts of questions regarding their site. Send an email on over to email@example.com to sort out any details.
I still have some questions!
We’ve been furiously working on the game, day in and day out, but are always happy to take an email break! Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll do what we can to help!