Connect - social connectivity for everyone
Connect - social connectivity for everyone
A new and functional connectivity app integrated with the powerful social media tools we have available to us today
A new and functional connectivity app integrated with the powerful social media tools we have available to us today Read more
To support a social location-sharing app aimed at connecting people with the help of social network integration. To support a utility tool which enhances current social networking by providing new features with visual and personal interconnectability.
We are crowdfunding to support the servers required to run Connect, as we have created the app already. Your contribution will help make Connect available for as many people as we can distribute it to.
Connect was originally an idea conceived to solve a subtle yet important struggle young people face when leaving home to start their new lives. The most social environments in the world exist at colleges and universities, but even modern communication lacks a certain interpersonal and physical aspect, aiming to replace it rather than enhance it. Immediately after, we realised that our idea could be expanded to encourage catchups between old friends and meetups between new acquaintances.
Current social networks are remarkably lacking in the location-sharing area. Checking in on Facebook, for example, only shows your location to some of your friends who are currently looking at their news feeds. We're trying to make the most out of existing social networks, not reinventing the wheel.
The uniqueness of our app, Connect, comes from the fact that Connect is a tool designed to facilitate physical meetups and increased social interaction through social media rather than trying to replace it with intangible clicks and texts. Connect, with all its integration, makes it practically effortless to get in touch with contacts and set up meetings - coffees, work, dates, dinners, anything.
At its heart, Connect is a social tool designed to take current social networks and integrate them into an interface with real, interpersonal meaning. Using Connect, it becomes incredibly easy to facilitate meetups, find your way, and discover both exciting new areas and people - all on a single screen in a single app.
Integrating Lists from Facebook and Circles from Google+ makes it fantastically simple to toggle the groups of friends you're currently with. This makes days out, parties, and meetings all so much easier to organise and carry out.
- Visual location-sharing with contacts allows your mind to absorb all the information you need in a single glance
- Static check-in and broadcasting to notify others that you've arrived in a certain place (or to hide yourself for a certain period of time!)
- Lists and Circles from existing social networks to help you organise all your different friend groups together
- One-click calling, texting, and social media communication from one swipe on the map
- Set meeting points and times with friends and get timer notifications (so you don't forget) and directions (so you can find your way). This is a great help for users in unfamiliar areas
- Notification when a contact enters your city/town
- Acquaintance meetup: friends of friends who toggle this feature will appear when nearby and can be contacted!
- None! We think that Connect is really cool so we want to release it to as many people as we can for free. Anyone will be able to use all of our features upon release, and beta testers will be able to give feedback and influence beta development.
Funding and rewards
100% of your funding (gifts aside) goes into server costs and development tools. We consider this a non-profit project and greatly appreciate the support you give us, and to the future users of this app.
As soon as the campaign finishes, rewards will be processed and beta keys for Android should be available by late October/early November. iOS keys should follow soon after.
In the case of overfunding, we will be able to support servers and development on the Windows Phone platform and possibly others. Accessibility is our number one goal and therefore excess funds will go towards achieving it.
Thank you for supporting us!
- Holly Mo-Vyse
- Ciarán Mitchell
- Emily Killgore
- Kevin Wang
- Jack Speir, Alasdair Revie, Rachael Burrows, Ollie Carruthers, Alice Gray, Beth Hegarty
- Lead Sunglasses (Calum Matheson) - original music track
Risks and challenges
Similar apps do count as competition, but we believe that our take on location-sharing integrated with social media is unique, and differentiates itself by promoting physical interaction rather than supplanting it. As mentioned previously, we are using social media rather than trying to create an entirely new network. This results in Connect having a user experience which is heavily personalised and makes it feel like you've been using it for years.
Our funding goal is an estimate and server costs could be greater than we expect, but we are limiting the number of beta testers so we can make sure everything is okay before launching the app to the public.
We will have a great community of passionate and dedicated backers who will have a voice during beta testing - perfect for ironing out any problems we have and being able to get feedback so we can release new features with the support of the community. We are fortunate to have access to crowdfunding so we can build support from a great beta userbase who actively contribute to the future development of the app.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)