Make Wyrd Con 4, a better storytelling convention on Sept 19th - 22nd 2013.
Wyrd Con 4 will run on September 19th - 22nd 2013 in Southern California.
Wyrd Con is an Interactive Storytelling Convention. Interactive Storytelling is a concept where the audience and actors are both part of the performance. Participatory events are ran throughout the conference to encourage both exploration and immersive play, including, but not limited to, Live Action Role Playing (LARP), Alternate Reality Games (ARG), Live Simulations and innovative Transmedia experiences.
The conference provides a fun opportunity to engage in all aspects of the cross-platform storytelling. Wyrd Con strives to not only entertain, but also educate others in Interactive Storytelling. This knowledge can be applied to both professional development and daily life in a variety of ways. Through immersive gaming, we can evolve our understanding of different social roles and entertain ourselves while gaining confidence to grow as a leader. We learn much from participation and the observation of immersive play that enhances the development of our own interactive story worlds.
Much of our panel and educational programming provides presentations and discussions on how different social scenarios and storytelling environments have multiple psychological effects on the participants, giving insight on how to expand a storyline to other media and market these concepts to generate new opportunities. Education is central to us and allows attendees the ability to better understand, build, and convey their story in the most interactive way possible. If you have ever had a desire to build a complex storyworld that involves extensions into live participatory gaming environments, solve a mystery, fight the enemy, or experience an event that mixes theater, costuming, and dialogue about the changing face of the entertainment industry, Wyrd Con is the place to be. Fans and producers of Anime, History, Science Fiction, Fantasy, and other genres are all a part of the Wyrd Con experience.
- Experts as guest speakers and panelists in interactive storytelling, role-play, transmedia, and the film and game industry (see list below).
- Live Events and Games:Live Action Role Playing (LARP), Alternate Reality Games (ARG), Live Simulations, Dungeon Crawls
- Weapon training in battling with foam weapons
- Workshops for making your own props and costumes or even your own language.
- Vendors that carry unique items that you can't just find anywhere and can add to that character or event you create.
- Film screenings
We've had incredible guest speakers such as:
- Jeff Gomez—President & CEO, Starlight Runner Entertainment (last year's keynote speaker)
- Jesse Albert—Producer/Consultant
- Maria Alexander— Interactive Writer and Designer, wrote and designed for Lovecraftian interactive theatre, graphical virtual worlds and online games.
- Nina Bargiel—Television Writer and Transmedia Producer. You may know her from such projects as MTV2′s “Savage County, Current TV’s “Bar Karma,” Sony/Crackle’s “Woke Up Dead” and EFE/MTV’s “Valemont.”
- Mike Bonifer--Author, Educator, CEO at GameChangers
- Sarah Lynne Bowman—author and researcher of The Functions of Role-Playing Games: How Participants Create Community, Solve Problems and Explore Identity.
- Jay Bushman—Writer & Experience Designer, Fourth Wall Studios. Social Media Story Producer. Enterprising Fabulist.
- Sean Copeland—Historian, Creative Development
- Nick DeMartino—Media and technology consultant, former SVP, American Film Institute
- Flint Dille—Owner at GZP and Consultant at Blizzard Entertainment
- Philip Gable—EVP of Witchfactory Productions
- Brian Seth Hurst—EO, The Opportunity Management Company
- Esther Lim—Executive Director Digital Experiences at George P Johnson
- Micky Neilson—Publishing Lead at Blizzard Entertainment
- Alison Norrington—Transmedia Producer & storyteller, StoryWorld Conference chair, Online Community Manager for TEDxTransmedia, Novelist, PhD researcher
- David J. Peterson—President of The Language Creation Society Creator of the Dothraki Language for HBO’s Game of Thrones
- Jenni Powell--Head of Content & Speaker Coordination, VidCon
- Lori H. Schwartz—Tech Catalyst and Principal, World of Schwartz
- Lauren Scime—CEO of Witchfactory Productions, Transmedia Producer
- Bret Shefter—Founder, Diversion By Design; Game Designer and Writer
- Lizzie Stark—Academic, Author of Leaving Mundania
- Bernie Su—Head Writer/Executive Producer of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries
- Scott Walker—CEO of Braincandy, Inc. Storyteller, world builder, creative catalyst, typing monkey.
- James Waugh—Senior Story Developer at Blizzard Entertainment
- Lance Weiler—Story Architect / Experience Designer
- Aaron Vanek—Founder, Live Game Labs
Wyrd Con puts thought into every detail of the experience. Even the backer rewards will feature special one of a kind chalices, sigils and badges similar to the ones below.
Rewards shown are examples, final products will vary. Each reward tier offers only the specific rewards of that tier, but all reward tiers will let you vote for location and date of Wyrd-Five. See the rewards on the bar to the right for details, or contact us if you have questions!
This is pretty awesome! You mean to do better? How?
- We want to try new venues
- Increase the level of engaging interaction and opportunity to explore stories
- Better games
- Improved Entertainment
- Cooler experiences
- Better LARPS
- More props
- Bring in more exciting special guests and speakers, experts in niche topics and skills that would increase story, character development, as well as craftsmanship in production.
- Boost the community connection in interactive story telling by making the convention cooler all around.
When will Wyrd Con run?
Wyrd Con 4 will run September 19th - 22nd 2013 in Southern California.
One of the primary purposes of this Kickstarter is to determine when the next conventional run. All contributors will have the opportunity to select their preferred time, and Wyrd Con 4 they would like the convention (Wyrd-Five) to next run.
Got Questions? Send them to us and we will answer them here.
What is the date and location of Wyrd Con 4?
Wyrd Con 4 aims to run on September 19th - 22nd, 2013 in Southern California. About 15 minutes from the John Wayne Airport (Airport Code SNA).
What do you mean by voting for the next site and date of the convention?
At Wyrd Con 4, those who have participated in the Kickstarter, and Sponsors, will be given a vote on when and where Wyrd-Five should run. We will announce the results of the vote at the end of Wyrd Con 4 on Sept 22nd 2013
I want multiple Sigils or T-Shirts, is that possible?
Yes! Add an addition $20 to your contribution for each T-Shirt or Sigil you would like. Just make sure to mention what you want in the comments field of the closing survey when the time comes!
Special thanks to Charlie Rohrer for providing music in our videos.http://soundcloud.com/ringtrick
Thanks to Liz for helping us assemble the videos.
Thank you Giant Hamster for letting Ira out of his cage.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The greatest challenge with running a convention is coordination and communication. Bringing together the guests, events, and activities that makes it a worthwhile endevour. We are entering in to this Kickstarter with the experience of three years on our backs already established. In addition to that, the staff of the convention have experience in many conventions from local gaming conventions (with a few hundred people), to the World Science Fiction Convention (with many thousands of people).
Wyrd Con started itself from the operations of running a Live Action organization for many years and formed when the world of Live Action, Transmedia, and Augmented Realty combined. It has built a large support community that stands behind it, and these individuals act as the volunteers and staff that make the backbone of Wyrd Con so possible.
By day, Wyrd Con's founder Ira Ham is employed by a multi-billion dollar organization where he is managing large scale implementations and projects at an international level. He holds a Masters Degree in Business Administration, and several certifications in his field.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.