About this project
NOTE from the Artists: The count-down and celebration party is Saturday March 31st starting at 7PM at Monkey Paw in San Diego - See the most recent update for details.
We met our goal on Thursday March 29th! Any additional pledges before our deadline on March 31st will help us with the following expenses, so please keep sharing our project, and please consider pledging if you haven't already. None of these expenses were included in our initial budget of $5,484, so every pledge still counts toward helping!
- Kickstarter Fees (5% of total funds, around $280 now)
- Credit Card Fees (3-5% of total funds, around $250 now)
- T-shirt Production ($500)
- Supplies & Materials related to fulfillment of additional backers' rewards
Reminder: No matter when you pledge online, your credit/debit card will not be charged until March 31st at 10:00 PM Pacific Time.
Check out our updates up above!
- #1: Photos of Art and Pricing
- #2: ArtWalk Display Pans and Event Details
- #3: Funding Progress after 2 weeks
- #4: Letterpress Illustration Revealed, & New Rewards!
- #5: Sculptural Lighting is a GO!
- #6: Come Celebrate with Us! March 31st Countdown Party
WOMH T-Shirt: $25 - get it alone, or add this to any existing pledge!
Shawn Michael and Rachel Eva are Work of My Hands, an artist team in San Diego. Their new work explores lighting as an artistic element in sculpture, designed to highlight organic textures and industrial elements. The Sculptural Lighting Collection is scheduled to be launched at San Diego’s biggest art walk this April.
This project is designed to give backers original artwork, give us the funding we need to finish the art for the show, and cover costs associated with the event. Please see below for more about our story, the event, reward details, and use of project funding.
Whether you back this project or not, please tell your family, friends, co-workers, and art-lovers about us! Getting the word out about what we're doing is as valuable as financial support. Thanks Everyone!
We (Shawn and Rachel) began creating art when we met and became friends in 2006. When we were married in 2008, we actually made a painting at our wedding! Shawn likes to say that being a creative person just means you show deep love toward whatever you do—it doesn’t have to be fashion or design or art. It could be watering a plant, baking a cake, or formulating an excel spreadsheet.
A big theme that we like to explore in all of our work is the relationship between nature and industry.
We’ve been working really hard the last few years to make art a professional endeavor. With full time jobs, finishing a bachelor’s degree, and renovating our work spaces, it’s been a lot of work. But we are energized by creating, and just keep going.
One thing that’s important to know about us is that, after paying off all of our debt in 2011, we are committed to not going back into debt. This project will enable us to create art while remaining debt-free.
We love the art that we’re making right now! Working with lighting adds so many dimensions to a piece of art, and with these sculptures, we love giving a great big kick in the pants to traditional lighting, and providing pieces of interest and fascination that intrigue the viewer. Shawn Michael actually saw someone do a double-take the other day when they caught a glimpse of this Japanese-inspired chandelier through our living room window:
To be successful, an artist essentially has to have a mini, transportable gallery space that makes the art look great to visitors. The main reasons we decided to do ArtWalk is to gain exposure by showing our work to art collectors, gallery owners, and retailers, and to sell our art, so we can make more art.
Event Details: http://www.missionfederalartwalk.org/
Work of My Hands Artist Location: #151 & #153 (Beech Street, just west of India)
Your Name on our Website: We will publicly thank you in a blog post on our website: www.workofmyhands.com
Thank You Print: A 5 x 7 thank-you card with a woodblock print on the front, which will be signed, and could easily be framed as a small piece of art!
WOMH T-Shirt: A grey American Apparel t-shirt in the size of your choice, with the illustration from the Letterpress Print on the front! $25 each - get it by itself, or add one onto any other backer level by adding $25 to your pledge.
Letterpress Print: An illustration by Rachel Eva of the things that inspire us as we create, printed on a Letterpress machine with archival paper and ink. Image size: 8 x 10, finished paper size: 11 x 14. Limited edition of 300 prints. Print will be with dark grey ink on white paper. For international shipping, please add $10 to your pledge.
Quote in our Art: Back us with $50 or more, and you can submit a word, phrase, or quote (15 words or less) to be included in an art piece that will explore the individual and collective ideas that form communities. We’ll make the art, and publish a blog post about it, and probably have it at an art show in the future. We do reserve the right to reject overly vulgar or offensive content. Be creative! Speak your mind!
Pendant Lamp: We’ve been making our own fittings for pendants, and you can’t find these anywhere else. This is kind of like choose your own adventure:
1. Select the style of fitting (left to right: industrial metal, high finish black, distressed white)
2. Select your bulb type (left to right: beacon bulb, original Edison, radio bulb)
3. Select your cord color. All cord is twisted cloth-covered cord. (left to right: red, black, putty)
4. All pendants come with 10 ft of cord and a plug. Tell us if you’d rather have 5 ft of cord to hard-wire into an existing ceiling fixture (installation required)
International Shipping: please add $10.
Tour of the Artist’s studio followed by a 5-course Dinner ($300). You get to spend an entire evening with us, see our private studio, pick our brains about art (or gardening, or theology, or whatever), and then relax while we cook you a great dinner, with ALL the trimmings. Travel to San Diego is not included, but this reward does not expire, so come when you can.
Original Letterpress Drawing in Pencil or Ink ($350). The original drawing of the Letterpress Print was first drawn in pencil, then an inked version was created to make the plate for the print. For $350, either of these original works of art can be yours. Both will be signed by the artist, and professionally matted for an 11 x 14 frame.
We’ll Make and Name A Piece of Art After You ($1,000). If we’re not familiar with you, this reward includes an interview, or a coffee date, or something that enables us to be inspired by your essence. We’ll make the art, publish a blog post about how you inspired the piece, and then give it to you. Art pieces and blog posts will be completed on a priority basis: 1st backer in summer, 2nd backer in fall, and 3rd in winter.
Your Pledge Amount toward artwork displayed at the show or toward a commissioned piece of custom lighting. The straight cash option, which includes the Thank You Print and a Quote in our Art. Letterpress Prints and Pendants are not automatically included. Here’s how it works:
- If you see something at our show at ArtWalk, or in our video, you can apply the amount that you pledged toward its purchase price. Photos and Prices will be posted as an update.
- If you have a specific art budget, you can pledge that amount, and we’ll make you a piece of art for that amount. If you have a specific amount in mind, but don’t see it to the right, you can always enter the specific amount you want on the next page.
- If you have a specific art piece that you’d like to commission us for, but don’t know how much it would cost, send us a message, including your phone number, and we’ll talk to you about it and let you know about how much it would be.
We can make custom artwork in the following formats:
- Chandeliers (small and large)
- Table art lamps
- Wall-mount or sconce art lamps
- Floor to ceiling art installations
- Miniature accent lighting
- Any other really cool idea that you want to bring to ‘light’
USE OF PROJECT FUNDING:
We will use the funds from this project to pay for the following:
- A limited edition fine art Letterpress Print. This print will only be produced if we meet our Kickstarter goal. ($885)
- Art Supplies related to fulfillment of rewards. ($2,600 & up, depending on who backs what levels, and how many do!)
- Desperately needed tools for the workshop - chop saw, scroll saw, belt sander, and some small tools. Offline donations accepted. ($640)
- A few bulk supply items needed to finish art for the event: cord, bulbs, sockets, hardware, & more ($360)
- Business Cards & Literature ($429)
- Display structures ($175)
- Portable Power ($290)
- Show promotional materials ($145)
- Packaging & Shipping ($120)
- Misc. show costs & transportation ($200)
To be completely transparent with you about money and funding, and show you how serious we are about making this art, these are the expenses we’ve already paid for, or plan to cover on our own. These expenses are NOT funded through Kickstarter.
- Rental space at ArtWalk ($840)
- Art materials and tools purchased since October 2011 ($4,249)
- Administrative expenses ($197)
- Business Development/promotional materials ($1,305)
- Anticipated Kickstarter fees and credit card processing fees ($500 & up)
Thanks to Branches for allowing us to use their music in our film. Please check out this new group here: www.branchesmusic.com
Thanks to Drew Renaud (www.drewrenaud.com) and Matt Wenhardt for photos and video.
Support this project
- (22 days)