About this project
What would you do to survive the zombie apocalypse?
... Lie? ... Steal? ... Murder?
Find out on The Road, a post-apocalyptic survival card game set in the zombie-infested Australian outback.
Work together your fellow survivors. Battle zombies. Scavenge for food and useful items. Make your way across the zombie-infested Outback in the hope of escaping this blighted land. You need each other to survive -- but food is short, and your “friends” are eyeing you hungrily. How far can you really trust them?
We have been developing The Road for the past three years and it is finally ready for production. The rules have been tuned and tested. The art and card design by Anthea Wright and Leigh Tuckman looks amazing. We’ve done all the hard work. Now it’s time to shut up and take your money!
The Kickstarter campaign for is to cover our production costs and to facilitate a bulk order. We will be selling the game through TheGameCrafter website. A large initial order will enable us to get much cheaper shipping rates so you get the game for less.
How to Play
The Road is a 4-player "cooperative" game. You and your fellow survivors are travelling through the zombie-infested Australian countryside trying to reach a nearby airfield which promises the chance of escape.
The journey takes place over a series of days, and each day is divided into Morning, Noon and Night phases.
- In the Morning you must decide whether to eat (if you can) or risk going hungry. As hunger and tiredness accumulate, you chance of losing health grows, but who knows when you'll find more food?
- At Noon you choose where to travel that day. Each day there two different locations in play, offering different opportunities for scavenging loot, but also different levels of danger.
- When you arrive at a location you must fight whatever zombies are revealed. Combat is a combination of strategy and luck. Sometimes your only choice is to hide or run away.
- At Night you sleep -- and hope that noise in the bushes is only the wind. Not a zombie coming to eat you. Or a "friend" with a knife aimed at your back.
Cooperation on the Road is a necessary but fragile thing. Survival comes first. Is your friend coveting a can of beans? Or is that a loaded gun under their pillow? Can you keep the group together to make it to the end? Or is it time to run before they turn on you? Such are the choices faced on The Road.
For those interested in learning more, a print-and-play demo of the game will be available later this week.
There are three editions of the game you can order, depending on your budget:
- For $70 you will receive the Full Game with rules, cards, dice and tokens for four players.
- For $50 you will receive the Budget Edition of the game, for those on a tighter budget. It includes just the rules and cards, you will need to provide your own dice and tokens.
- For $130 you will receive the Deluxe Edition of the game, which includes the Thief, Coward, Murderer and Cannibal stamps and whatever other extra we can imagine.
On top of these, there are a number of extra goodies (all of which include the Deluxe edition of the game).
- For $200 our artist Anthea will make you a Zombie, creating a custom zombie card for the game based on your portrait.
- For $300 Anthea will make you a Survivor, creating a custom survivor card (and corpse) based on your portrait.
- For $500 you will get the one-of-a-kind plush Teddy Bear, lovingly made and distressed by the very crafty Sayraphim Lothian.
International Backers: We can only offer Australian shipping at the moment. International orders can be made through The Game Crafter when the game is complete. In the meantime, we have some lovely postcards with art from the game.
$10,000 Break Even: if we make it to this level I will break even on the development costs for the game. That will be pretty exciting! (For me, at least)
$15,000 3-5 player expansion: The Road is designed to be a four player experience. A lot of careful tuning has gone into making it balanced. If we reach the $15k target, we will create a 3-5 player expansion, including a fifth player character and possibly some other goodies.
$20,000 Fiasco Playset: Famous Game Designer™ Grant Howitt (Goblin Quest, Paranoia Fifth Edition) has agreed to design a Fiasco playset for The Road so you can role-play your favourite post-apocalyptic tragedies.
$30,000 Stories From The Road graphic novel: One thing we love about The Road is its ability to tell stories. Each game is its own unique tragedy. If we hit the $30k target, we plan to create a Stories From The Road graphic novel, based on YOUR stories from the game, with art by Anthea Wright and friends.
Risks and challenges
Risks are few. The design and art are already complete and the game has been extensively tested. It is ready for printing and shipping to your door. We have selected a reliable printer (TheGameCrafter) who can also handle the supply of dice and other game bits. Your support will help us put the final touches on the layout and then arrange for a bulk order to ship to Australia.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (40 days)