Most people think hitchhiking is a last resort, either too dangerous, or an activity reserved for the homeless. I hitchhike because I want to.
Most people are afraid of not knowing when they will eat, where they will sleep, or what place they will end up. When I'm hitchhiking, that's when I feel most alive.
I love having to think on my feet, meeting weirdos, and not knowing what's going to happen next.
I have become a more patient, open-minded, resourceful, and knowledgeable person because of hitchhiking. It made me solution-oriented and restored my faith in humanity.
I want to make my exhilarating experiences accessible to the world.
You can read the article here: http://star.txstate.edu/node/7157
My name is Hoang-Chau Nguyen. Most people call me Woncho (like poncho). I currently attend Texas State University. I feel as normal as the next person, but I think my experiences are very unique, and I probably don't fit the typical image of a hitchhiker.
Starting August 9, 2013, I will hitchhike the Midwest and document my adventures through middle America using video footage, social media, blog, instant film photographs, and a scrapbook. These will tell the stories of the unique people and cultures that I encounter.
On this journey I will make multiple stops in small towns and big cities such as Chicago, Detroit, and Louisville. The trip will last 17 days, until fall classes start on August 26, 2013.
I will use Craigslist rideshare, hitchhike, possibly hop trains, and even try to solicit rides from pilots at private airports. When I need to settle, I will Couchsurf, camp in parks, sleep in homeless shelters, or under bridges if necessary. I will meet random people offering as little as a middle finger and as much as a place to stay.
Please help me raise my goal of $2,200 so that I can have a strong first attempt at documenting my travels. This budget will cover food and supplies, but will mostly provide for camera equipment and funding for the documentary.
(1) $569.00 - Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD Large Aperture Standard Zoom Lens for Canon Digital DSLR Camera
(2) $399.99 - GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition
(1) $349.00 - Rokinon CV85M-C 85mm t/1.5 Aspherical Lens for Canon with De-Clicked Aperture and Follow Focus Compatibility Fixed Lens
(1) $269.99 - Zoom ZH4N Handy Portable Digital Recorder
(1) $200.00 - Various Memory Cards
(1) $169.99 - LaCie Rugged Hard Disk Triple 1 TB USB 3.0 Firewire 800 (2x) Portable Hard Drive 301984
(1) $169.00 - Rode Videomic Shotgun Microphone with Rycote Lyre Mount
(1) $106.99 - LaCie Rugged Hard Disk Triple 500 GB USB 3.0 Firewire 800 (2x) Portable Hard Drive 301982
(1) $79.95 - Promaster Vertical Battery Grip for Canon Rebel T2i, T3i, and T4i
(1) $59.88 - Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Compact Photo-Movie Kit (Black)
(1) $54.50 - ePhoto Premium DSLR Rig Movie Kit Shoulder Rig Mount, Shoulder Support Pad for Video Camcorder Camera DV DSLR Cameras
(1) $39.99 - Rode Deadcat Wind Muff Microphone Cover
(1) $33.99 - Chromo Inc.® 160 LED CI-160 Dimmable Ultra High Power Panel Digital Camera / Camcorder Video Light, LED Light for Canon
(1) $13.84 - Tiffen 77mm UV Protection Filter
The point of this documentary is to offer people insight about hitchhiking, from my perspective, into a world that I’ve grown to love. I want to share my passion with others, whether they want to participate themselves or are simply curious about hitchhiking.
I need your help to spread the word! Please LIKE the page at facebook.com/whereswoncho and youtube.com/woncholikeponcho and FOLLOW me on Instagram via @whereswoncho and Twitter via @whereswoncho to stay involved. Tell your friends! Tell co-workers and classmates! And of course, keep checking here for updates!
Risks and challenges
Barring Acts of God, everything should run smoothly!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (14 days)