About this project
A revolutionary new concept in backpack design
Here's a snippet of how it works:
Find out more and keep in touch:
This new freedom for the pack and the benefits in access, comfort and security are attracting some attention:
"Reinventing the backpack" Daily Mail
“A smart new design" Daily Telegraph
"Wolffepack Fixes the Bag’s Biggest Design Flaw" PSFK Design
"It's a very cool product" Gadgetify
"These clever gents have designed a backpack giving you the best of both worlds" Core77 Design
"Wolffepack solves the biggest problem with backpacks" Trendhunter
To read more of the great reviews, scroll further down to get some links.
The unique benefits of the wolffepack
The conventional backpack is hugely popular and we love it, but we've also experienced some of its frustrating moments when:
- wanting to get quickly into the pack again, but realising you have to go through the routine of whole bag off, put down, bag on, straighten straps
- worrying about what thieving hands might be doing unseen to the bag on your back
- feeling uncomfortable stepping onto public transport, possibly annoying fellow travellers with your pack on
- being bumped by fellow travellers and their backpacks
- seeing that free seat, but having to take the pack off first or perch on the edge of your seat with it on, say on ski-lifts.
So we've designed the wolffepack® backpack to be simple to use.....
and to offer:
This means benefits in a whole range of situations:
- Fast access: get your stuff in a swift and easy action.
- Less effort: avoid having to take the straps and whole backpack off, and then readjust, time and time again.
- Cleaner gear: no more dropping your bag or your knee to the floor when you need to get stuff out.
- Easier travel: avoid annoying fellow passengers by moving the pack from the back to your front.
- Sit with the pack on: no need to take it off to sit comfortably on public transport or on ski-lifts.
- Keep your pack in sight: swing the bag swiftly to your front if you feel uncomfortable or at risk.
- Wear it on your front: specially designed to stay comfortably hooked on your front for however long you want.
A radical concept plus a great backpack
Not only does the wolffepack® have a totally unique advantage, but it is a great backpack in its own right. With our experienced design team we have carefully put together all the features, durable materials and high quality construction you would expect in a premium product and a great backpack.
We've paid attention to the details with gunmetal custom zips and G-hooks, as well as high quality ballistic fabrics.
A design with all the pockets and convenience
A great backpack should have a satisfying place for all the various gear you need to carry for your day. It should be comfortable to wear and easy to handle. Too many pockets is confusing, too little frustrating. With our backpack and design experience we've put together a comprehensive and well-judged package.
Before we tell you more about the concept, you might be wondering how strong those 3 cords are? They are made of Dyneema, a super-strong material, and it's worth seeing an illustration:
We are using industry-leading magnetic catches that work like magic to give a great user experience:
The first 2 models of the wolffepack®
At launch we have 2 models: The Metro and The Escape. (We have big plans for broader ranges, colours, adaptations, but that comes later!)
The wolffepack® Metro is ideal for urban use whether at work, on the move, or at play. It is the slightly larger and sleeker of the 2 models.
The wolffepack® Escape is ideal for more active use, whether walking, hiking or cycling. It is the slightly smaller of the 2 models and has a lighter construction but more external features.
- Size: H 47cm x W 31cm x D 15cm approx
- Capacity: 22 litres approx
- Laptop pocket: 15" padded
- Tablet pocket: Microfibre soft lining
- Pockets: Organiser section, Documents, Front Slip, Side drink etc
- Features: Key hook, Strap tidies, Top handle, chest strap (detachable)
- Exterior Fabric: 900 X 1200D ballistic polyester
- Size: H 45cm x W 28cm x D 14cm approx
- Capacity: 18 litres approx
- Laptop pocket: 13" padded
- Tablet pocket: Microfibre soft lining
- Pockets: Organiser section, Documents, Front Slip, 2x Side drink etc
- Features: Key hook, Strap tidies, Reflector patches, Side compression straps, Daisychain webbing, Top handle, chest strap (detachable)
- Exterior Fabric: 800D ripstop ballistic
Leading technology and materials
The wolffepack® backpack uses our patent-pending expetoSYSTEM®, an orbital trapeze technology. With a heritage drawn from the worlds of mountaineering, sailing and the military, we have a combination of materials and invention that revolutionises backpack design.
The bag is held totally stable on the back by 3 super-strong cords at different points, so that it cannot swing or move until the moment you choose to release it.
It is strong and easy to use
Can a backpack be securely held by cord? We've designed for strength and stability:
- 3 cords (not just one) anchored at separate points on the bag keep it totally stable and securely held to your back when raised, without any swinging
- the cords can pull a load of over 300kg, more than enough for a typical backpack
- Dyneema cords are tough and it's a material used by the military for ballistic protection
It's a simple and easy operation to use the wolffepack® backpack. Here is that video demonstration, once again:
It is for everyone.
And people are picking up on this story. Here are some links to just a few of the reviews out there:
Daily Mail: "Reinventing the backpack" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2802910/the-backpack-opened-without-taking-cord-swings-pack-round-chest-easy-access.html
Gizmag: "Access your backpack – without taking it off" http://www.gizmag.com/wolffepack-backpack/34370/
PSFK Design: "Wolffepack Backpack Fixes the Bag’s Biggest Design Flaw" http://www.psfk.com/2014/10/wolffepack-backpack-design-flaw-fix.html
Daily Telegraph: "A smart new design" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11180436/Swivelling-backpack-could-help-combat-the-Tube-crush.html
Core77 Design: "These clever gents have designed a backpack giving you the best of both worlds" http://www.core77.com/blog/kickstarter/the_wolffepack_a_backpack_designed_to_flip_around_to_the_front_27826.asp
The development process
The product started out 15 years ago as just an idea, born out of watching a postman struggled to get repeated access to the letters in a sack on his back. Personal frustrations with the backpack over the years led to the belief that there had to be a better way to carry stuff, but still get quick and easy access to it.
It has moved from being just an idea, to initial sketches:
to computer-generated designs:
to a final prototype:
driven by a team of experts in their fields:
David Wolffe has an Engineering degree from Cambridge University, and is a lifelong backpack user whether travelling, commuting, skiing, or corralling his 3 kids. Edward and Richard are partners in the award-winning industrial design consultancy, Goodwin Hartshorn. James Jeffrey has designed cool bags for many years for global brands like Crumpler and Knomo. Luke Ireland has been a director of the major bag manufacturer Dicota.
Your support means everything
What we need:
We are now at the stage where the wolffepack® backpack is almost ready to go into production. We've come to Kickstarter because we need 2 things:
- Funding to commission the tooling for scale production in the factory, and to order materials for the first production run
- A community of engaged enthusiasts who see potential in the wolffepack® backpack and will work with us to guide its development and shape its progress
What we'll give:
We are offering rewards in the shape of the first ever generation of the wolffepack® backpack, recognised with Founders status and add-ons, at a level of pledge significant below the retail price. You will be involved in the journey as it progresses, with frequent updates and two-way engagement.
When you'll get it:
We are genuinely developing a new creative design of product here and not selling something that is already in production with finished stock. That's why our timeline means we can't just ship next month.
It is also really important to us that we deliver on our promises to you. We don't want to disappoint by giving overly optimistic dates. Having said that, we are going to try to beat these dates, and if all goes well, that might be possible by a few weeks.
Here is our Project Timeline that we will aim to beat:
Risks and challenges
The risks to delivery of the project are limited in nature due to the huge amount of development and planning that has already taken place. Working prototypes have been in testing for several months and have passed threshold tests. The design is now ready for production and all specifications and CAD has been signed off. Samples have been manufactured but in units only. The transition now is into scale production.
The key risk is delay to the timetable due to unforeseen problems in tooling and production. Regular communication with all supporters will make it transparent how progress is moving and if any delays are emerging.
Yes. The pack is held by 3 Dyneema cords, not just one, as might appear from the video. The cords are a 3 different points on the bag (1 at the top, 2 at the bottom/side) so the pack is held totally stable and does not swing when walking or running.
Yes. The fabric on both models is water-resistant and when in contact with a shower the water either runs off or forms beads.
Yes. They have combined load carrying capacity of approx 300kg and are made of a superstring material called Dyneema, used by the military for ballistic protection.
<img height="1" width="1" style="display:none;" alt="" src="https://analytics.twitter.com/i/adsct…; />
<img height="1" width="1" style="display:none;" alt="" src="//t.co/i/adsct?txn_id=l5566&p_id=Twitter" /></noscript>
Support this project
- (39 days)