** $3500! The second stretch goal is reached, so I'll get enamel pins made for every order. From here on, the sky is the limit. Thank you all!**
The Tarot Restless is an overhaul of the classic Rider-Waite tarot deck. While the suits of the Minor Arcana remain the same, many of the Major Arcana are new creations. The cards feature hand-drawn artwork depicting scenes from a dark fantasy story set in the midst of an infertility apocalypse. Accompanying the deck, Restless Meditations is a 100 page book of short stories that explore the lore and interpretations of each card.
About the Product:
The cards shown in the video and photos are from the promotional version of the deck. Those decks were printed with 310gsm linen stock and a standard gloss finish. They are very smooth and slide very easily, while retaining a slight texture. See the Stretch Goals section for how I would like the final version to look.
The cards come in a rigid, two part box with art on the top and bottom. The box has a matte finish.
Accompanying The Tarot Restless is a copy of Restless Meditations. This is a complete guidebook to using The Tarot Restless, including instructions on how to perform an Inimical Reading, as well as a short story written to explain the lore for every card.
About the Project:
Just over a year ago, I got out of an abusive relationship and found that my closest friends had betrayed me in a variety of heinous ways. I felt too hideous to exist, and that I was desperately searching for meaning in an inherently hostile world. To make the most out of my suffering, I created this deck as an expression of my grief and my search for significance.
Many of the cards were inspired by the strong women in my life. Their struggles with abuse and violence helped me understand my own suffering much better, and I cannot thank them enough.
The purpose of this work is to guide people as they confront their pain and grief. For this reason, some of the cards tend to be macabre or bizarre. It is not a wholly morbid work, though: the themes of revenge, betrayal, and suffering are balanced by those of empowerment, extrication, and relief.
About the Artwork:
The original illustrations for the cards were done by hand, using Copic Multiliner pens and Stabilo markers on bristol paper, with very minor editing and rearranging being accomplished with Photoshop.
The artwork is primarily inspired by video games like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Hand of Fate, and Silent Hill, as well as authors like H. P. Lovecraft and William Hope Hodgson, and a variety of other visual artists like Buddy Nestor, Wayne Barlowe, Guillermo del Toro, Zdzisław Beksiński, and Francis Bacon to name a few.
The goal of the artwork is to create an overwhelmingly rich and vibrant world that gives the viewer the sense that they are only seeing a fragment of an even more vast and intricate universe.
About the Rewards:
I've put together a variety of rewards for those who back this project.
If you choose to back this project, please share a link to this Kickstarter on social media.
- The digital version of The Tarot Restless and Restless meditations will consist of two .pdf files, one with all 78 cards and the other with the full text of the guidebook.
- Poster prints are on premium quality stock, signed and dated. You can pick between having a poster of an individual card or the whole series. If you go to my website and see an illustration, collage, or portrait that you'd like, let me know and I may be able to add it to your order at a discounted rate. Please note that the 11" x 17" measurements are approximate -- the cards are slightly narrower, so posters of individual cards measure around 9" x 17"
- The physical version of The Tarot Restless and Restless Meditations includes everything described at the top of the page. This will be the first edition of the deck.
- Whimper and Bang is my debut stand-up comedy album. It features over an hour of my favorite material. The album comes in a 2-panel digipack style case.
- The Whimper and Bang shirts come in two varieties, and you can see them both here on the shop on my website. I have sizes M-XXL in both. If demand is great enough, I could print more smaller or larger sizes.
- The pin is not really a promotional item, just something I made for fun. It is a 1" pin that reads "Don't Actually Fuck the Patriarchy".
- For the online Tarot reading, I will talk with the backer to determine a good time for the both of us to speak over Skype, Facetime, or some other method that suits you. The reading will last at least an hour, but I can go longer if the readings are unclear.
- The special portrait can be anyone of the backers choosing. I can do a plain portrait, like the ones I've done here, or I can make yours into a unique "79th card" to the tarot deck, with your own lore and symbols.
- The in-person reading can be anywhere in the world. For locations outside of the greater Chicago area, the backer would have to provide transportation and lodging, if applicable.
About Stretch Goals and Successive Editions:
Right now, I would need around $1000 to print the standard edition of this deck. The standard edition would have 310gsm stock, the two part box, and a perfectbound book.
- If I am able to reach $3000, I would like to produce an eBook of concept art for every order. This would include comparisons between drafts of the cards next to the final product, as well as insights as to how and why I decided on the final design.
- If I reach $3500, I would like to make a line of enamel pins modeled after the mutilated hand on the cover of the box. I'm open to ideas for other merch, so let me know if you have an idea.
- If there is interest, I could do special editions of the deck later on, with different card art for the backs of the cards. I am also toying with the idea of making an ultra-deluxe version of the deck where the Major Arcana are holographic. That might be prohibitively expensive, so I will have to do more research before I can offer a price point.
If you have any questions about any part of this work, previous works, or inquiries about future works, please feel free to ask.
You can follow me in Instagram @Calculations
You can find me on Twitter @WinslowDumaine
or you can check out my website at www.winslowdumaine.com
Special thanks to Adielenah Perez for editing the video, and thanks to Francis David Cleary for the audio.
Risks and challenges
As it stands, I see no risks on the horizon. This deck is completed and I have already made and distributed early copies. What I am doing now is gathering resources and interested parties to get it put into full production.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)