PRE-ORDER HERE ON KICKSTARTER TO RECEIVE ISSUE 01 IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS
Wilderness is a quarterly print magazine about exploration, character and grit.
While this magazine is aimed at the common man, the themes are meant for humanity.
We want to start conversations about what it means to be a great man and where modern manhood is headed.
A quote from our Executive Editor @jedidiahjenkins says it well: This magazine is a physical manifestation of those camp-fire conversations with your best friends, when you drifted into some topic that changed the way you see the world, made you feel known, stronger, better. At least that's our intention."
As a physical and metaphorical reality, the wilderness has always been man's greatest contender, so it provides our context to tackle the real questions and challenges that men face. We are not experts and don't have all the answers, but we're certain this is worth talking about.
We won't be giving you tips on how to get shredded abs, more dates, cars, yachts or watches, but we will be having inspiring conversations around some of the weightier issues and themes that men face but rarely talk about: leadership, fear, failure, success, fatherhood, perseverance, and the list goes on...
With timeless content, a fabric bound spine and high quality paper, it's meant to be collected, read cover to cover and returned to years later as a reference.
WHAT'S INSIDE THE MAGAZINE:
Wilderness will be full of photo stories, interviews, thoughtful essays and some of the best thoughts from writers and thinkers of the past that you've always meant to read but never made the time for. Guys like Thoreau, Kipling, Hemingway and more.
The theme of our first issue is Mountains, which will be explored both literally and figuratively.
A few of the contributors and topics we have lined up for Issue 01:
- Eustace Conway on modern culture's relationship with the wilderness (Subject of The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert Eat, Pray, Love, starring in History Channel's Mountain Men).
- Shaun White on excellence (Two time Olympic Gold Medalist and ground breaking business visionary)
- Nate Abbott photo story (Freelance ski photographer, former photo-editor of Freeskier magazine)
- Jedidiah Jenkins on cycling from Oregon to Patagonia (Author and son of renowned travel writer Peter Jenkins, author of A Walk Across America)
- Chris Burkard photo story (Award winning photographer, official TED 2015 speaker)
- Dan Eldon retrospective on the power of documentation (English-born Kenyan photojournalist, artist and activist. Stoned to death by an angry mob in Mogadishu; his incredible journals have lived on to inspire a generation of activists)
- Eric Volz wrongfully imprisoned in Nicaragua as a political prisoner Author of Gringo's Nightmare
- Alex Strohl photo story (Renowned travel photographer shooting in Los Angeles, Paris, and Vancouver)
- Chris Ozer on balancing fatherhood and career (Award winning NYC based photographer)
- Aaron Huey photo story (Award winning National Geographic photographer)
Wilderness will be printed in the good ol' USA on high quality matte finish paper, with a stain resistant matte laminated cover, perfect bound with a fabric spine and sheet fed to ensure the highest print standards. It will be around 100 pages in the book-a-zine realm, perfect on your coffee table, book case or in the loo.
WE'RE GIVING BACK:
We want to put our money where our mouth is so proceeds from Wilderness will go towards supporting The Mentoring Project which exists to rewrite the fatherless story through mentoring. Learn more here.
*Note that these are mockups below, intended to communicate the clean aesthetic of the design of Wilderness. These are not final layouts so don't judge us.
The Backer Beanie: Limited edition watch cap guaranteed to keep your head warm and you looking cool. Sewn on W. label.
The T-Shirt: Tri-blend charcoal USA Made tee with a subtle W. label on it so you will actually wear it.
WHAT IS WILDERNESS COLLECTIVE?
Three years ago I realized that all my friends and I wanted was to get away, to push our limits, to have a real adventure. So I started WC, a company that takes men on trip-of-a-lifetime experiences like riding off-road motorcycles to the Grand Canyon or riding snowmobiles across Alaska. Over 200 brothers, sons, fathers and friends have joined these adventures. To watch one of our many films about these trips and to learn more click here.
Risks and challenges
Over the past 10 years I've started and successfully run several apparel brands. Most recently, I have built the business of Darling Magazine, a quarterly publication founded by my wife that is now carried in over 300 retailers in the U.S. and abroad including Whole Foods and Anthropologie. I am all about creating disruptive brands that challenge the status quo and push consumers to think differently. I am committed to making a magazine that is still in print when your kids leave home.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)