Creation of a new animated series for children, based on educational, healthy and constructive values.
Bring an inspiring and positive role model to the lives of children
Three fathers one day dreamed of combining all of their creativity and effort to produce a new animated series for children, based on educational, healthy and constructive values. The series would follow the adventures of a 10-year-old boy facing the same daily realities experienced by all children around the world. The character, WILBY, would become an educational, lovable, funny and inspiring model; a guide to help children around the world prepare themselves for a fulfilling life.
It all started with these little drawing!
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
• Creation of a new animated series that illustrates different lessons to be learned in the family, society and school, through fun adventures and real situations of a child's daily life.
• The purpose of this series is to motivate children to adopt appropriate social behaviour, examining and elaborating on the many challenges raised by the demands of socialization and education.
• WILBY, the main character is a 10 year old who just finished his fourth year in school. He receives letters from children in which they share their feelings about events and situations past or anticipated. His faithful ally, Slicky, the green snake, is a wise soul offering him advice and always encouraging him to search to find the solutions necessary to overcome problems
• Without weapons, armour, a mask or magical powers, the main character is the only superhero who doesn't need a disguise or magic to resolve conflicts. Instead, he uses his natural human abilities, problem-solving ability, intelligence, ingenuity and resourcefulness. This is a down-to-earth example and an inspiration, a real model that children can relate to!
WHAT DIFFERENTIATES WILBY FROM OTHERS?
• Unlike the majority of other characters, WILBY is human and has to face the real situations of a child's daily life (school, family, friends, home life, weekend activities, etc.)
• WILBY encourages children to stay in school. He attacks the problems of school dropouts, bullying and delinquency at the very root. WILBY helps children to develop healthily, socially, psychologically, physically, emotionally and scholastically.
• WILBY encourages children to express themselves, to speak about their problems, their worries, and their fears. Children can use WILBY's mail as an outlet for their emotions.
• Children without parents or with little guidance from them, will find a source of inspiration, a model, a confident, someone with whom they can identify, with whom they can share their feelings, someone who will help them to think for themselves in order to find solutions to their problems.
• The whole WILBY concept has been thought out to interest and concern the parents as much as the children. WILBY will become an almost indispensable tool for parents, and even a complementary tool for schools and teachers.
• There is currently an important lack in the market concerning characters for children. Dora the Explorer has been wildly successful around the world in the last 10 years, but her audience rarely goes beyond 5 to 6 year olds. There's a gap to be filled for the 6 to 10 year old audience.
• Our children confront realities, challenges and difficulties in their life from a very early age. At five years old, their world is transformed, they must go to school, navigate new unknown environments, develop their autonomy, their independence, their sociability, and their emotions and in addition tackle the challenges of schoolwork. Not only is it a tremendous challenge for the children, but also for their parents and teachers.
• No character for children is currently oriented to supporting and accompanying them through these trials of daily life.
• This reality applies to children all around the world, whatever their country or language.
• The timing is perfect! There is a tremendous opportunity! Children around the world are ready to welcome a new character into their life!
• WILBY will encourage an opening to the world, the learning of other languages, and the discovery of different countries and cultures.
100% WEB BASED
• WILBY episodes will be broadcast on the Internet, a medium revolutionizing communications, present in almost every home and school. Highly accessible and affordable, the Internet allows us to distribute the adventures of WILBY effectively on the broadest scale (without license restrictions, broadcast fees to be paid or other elements limiting expansion.)
• The use of the Internet as medium allows the children of the whole world to view the episodes of WILBY on their computers, tablets or their iPod, any time of day or night, without limit, constraint of language or TV network.
• We want to offer children an interactive environment stronger than anything currently available. (WILBY episode with integrated interactive games that let children interact with the video in real time as the story unfolds. Possibility for children to choose how the story continues by selecting among possible choices.) Once WILBY's popularity is ensured among children and parents thanks to the Internet, we can discuss with TV channels the possibility of rights to broadcast WILBY episodes.
WE BUILDED A COMMUNITY AROUND WILBY THROUGH A SAFE SOCIAL NETWORK!
In order to mobilize children and their families and rally them to our cause, we have created a fun, educational and 100% safe social network. This idea was born from a very real and current need, arising from a parental and social concern in many countries around the world: how to provide a safe Internet environment for our children and thus protect them from the risks of cyber bullying, cyber predators and other dangers threatening our children through unprotected use of the Internet.
A FINANCIAL CHALLENGE
The costs associated with creating an animated series can easily amount to several million dollars. Most are financed by influential producers and by major TV broadcasters. Unfortunately, this is the reason very few new animated series produced by independent creators see the light of day...
In order to create our first pilot episode, we invested our own personal funds and were helped by friends who believed in our project. We built a small super effective multidisciplinary team and WE DID EVERYTHING 100% OURSELVES, from the first pencil stroke on a sheet of paper, through the script writing, 3-D virtualization, to the posting of the first eight minute episode on YouTube.
We have invested thousands of hours, days, evenings and of course weekends, throwing ourselves heart and soul into the project. Of course we have been called crazy, unrealistic, chasing an impossible dream... We've been told it is impossible to create an animated series unless you are supported by a big producer and many millions of dollars. We wanted to show the whole world, that it was still possible today for young creative, audacious and imaginative artists to create innovative projects on an international scale.
PROUD OF OUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS!
To begin with, we enjoyed three solid assets: A DREAM, TALENT, AND INDEFATIGABLE DETERMINATION!
On the other hand, we had very limited financial means, and no experience in animation, writing for children, 3-D production, sound editing, musical scores, etc. To be brutally honest, we knew absolutely nothing about such a project. We studied up on the subject, taught ourselves about the different creative areas, production techniques and so on.
The adventure which was to take three months at the start, ended up taking nine... Nine long months of arduous work day and night to create a simple episode of only eight minutes! What a crazy time we had!
The great day we finally put our first episode on line, was like the end of a nine-month pregnancy, the birth of our little baby WILBY! :) We were very nervous, not knowing how our offspring would be received. Would it be appreciated, or rejected, or simply ignored...
To our great satisfaction, several thousand people viewed our first episode (in French and English). In only a few days, we received hundreds of positive messages, congratulations and encouragements. Even better, a number of parents wrote to us to mention that their child had fallen in love with WILBY at first sight, and were asking when the next episodes would be available!!!
WOW, we were overjoyed! Such a great reward, the greatest of all! The recognition of our effort with smiles, positive comments and the appreciation of the children for whom we created this beautiful project.:) This period in our life was euphoric, we were surfing on the wave of satisfaction of a job well done.
WE NEED YOUR HELP TO REALIZE OUR DREAM!
One of our greatest regrets is that we have not been able to offer a second episode to our fans. Because of our lack of financial resources, we were forced to put this project on the shelf...
Recently we heard about KickStarter and we immediately thought that this would be the ideal platform to present our project and raise the necessary funds to continue the production of our animated series and offer new episodes to children around the world!
Here is our objectives : Raise at least $85,000 for the production of a second 10 minute episode. We want to improve the quality of our animated serie and create a long term success.
The more money we raise, the more additional episodes we can produce to gradually create our series:
- With $160,000 we can create 2 new episodes.
- With $240,000 we can create 3 new episodes.
- With $400,000 we can create 5 new episodes.
- The most episodes we will create, the most chance we have to interest influential producers and TV Broadcasters.
Important note: All funds contributed will serve exclusively for the production of the next episodes of the universe of WILBY™
FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT OUR ANIMATED SERIES
Presentation of existing characters:
Wilby is an amusing and brilliant 10 year old boy. He is bright, smiling and always eager to learn. He loves his family and practices several sports. He sings and plays guitar in a band. He writes his own songs and corresponds by mail with many children around the world. His hyperactivity sometimes disturbs his concentration and it is not uncommon to see him make mistakes.
Slicky is a green female snake, wise and mature. She is a walking encyclopedia and knows almost everything! She guides Wilby in his adventures and helps him to think carefully before acting. Wilby and her are inseparable.
Mary is the mother of Emily and Wilby. She is gentle, generous, creative and very understanding. She is a graphic designer and a painter of great talent and she loves everything related to nature, art and creativity. She is often absent-minded and her imagination can sometimes play tricks on her.
Bryan is the father of Emily and Wilby. He is funny, intelligent and quick-witted. He is an expert zoologist and owner of a business specializing in wildlife. He loves animals, sports, travel and exploring foreign cultures. His excess energy makes him sometimes a bit awkward.
Emily is 5 years old and is Wilby's younger sister. She doesn't let herself be pushed around, and despite her young age, she is quick to give her opinion on almost every subject. She loves to laugh and play tricks. She is sometimes impulsive and easily loses her temper when things do not go the way she wants.
Pedro is the best employee in Bryan's business. He is very sociable and loves company. He is of Mexican descent and speaks several languages including Spanish. He is an expert on animals and knows almost everything about them. Criticism affects him a lot and he tends often to take it too personally.
OTHER CHARACTERS TO BE CREATED: Friend(s):
• REGGY, the rebel, loves everything extreme • DAVID, the nerd, fanatic about technologies and science • JIPY, the jock, loves company and fooling around
• DANNY, tall, skinny, shy and unlucky
• ALICE, intense, intelligent, authoritarian, loves music
• MARYANN, sensitive artist, practices music and dance
• ROSY, sporty and cheerful, practices karate Relatives:
• SANDY, the older adolescent cousin, cheerful, confident, intelligent, feminine, loves clothes, cinema and photography.
• BOUTCH, the older cousin in the mid-20s, mature, masculine, sporty, loves music, mechanics and outdoor activities. Experts, professions:
• JACK, the mailman, funny, happy and proud
• ANITA, 4th year school teacher, friendly, understanding but very authoritarian
• PHILIPPE, ambulance driver, likable and rigorous
Our aim is to positively influence and educate children and parents concerning: physical health, mental health, good lifestyle habits, positive values, social living, overcoming fears, the importance of expressing one's feelings and opinions, family life, life at school, staying in school, life lessons, the environment, international awareness.
LIST OF THEMES TO BE COVERED IN THE COMING EPISODES:
• Fear of being alone in the dark
• Fear of being laughed at, embarrassment
• Participating in a new sport (new activity)
• Attention deficit, difficulty to concentrate
• Learning to play a musical instrument
• Speaking in front of an audience
• Life at school
• Tips for good eating; WILBY's recipes (several different episodes)
• Making friends
• Ideas for playing outside
• Recreation and hobbies
• Getting in shape and playing sports
• Bullying at school
• Fear of the dentist
• Year-end performance
• Respect for others
• Health and hygiene (several different episodes)
• Protective equipment; wearing a helmet.
• Travel in a foreign country; WILBY's travels (several different episodes)
• Respecting the environment and nature
• Foreign cultures and languages (several different episodes)
• Living with a brother or sister
• Expressing your opinion
• Being approached by strangers, in the street or on the Internet, prudence and safety
• Safety rules (several different episodes)
• Cleaning the house, one's bedroom, household chores
• Learning about animals (several different episodes)
(From left to right: David Banford, Jimmy Bouchard, Rejean Gauthier)
The idea of WILBY was conceived by three audacious and creative fathers with a fervent desire to help young people. With your help, we will be able to realize the dream to bring Wilby and all his universe to life!
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
After the big learning curve we faced during the creation of the first demo episode, we can now guarantee to our backers that we have a super effective multidisciplinary team with great experiences to create and produce the next episodes of The Universe of WILBY™. We have everything needed to build a great and long term success!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.