A mother-daughter project to create a well-written and stunning children's book to celebrate a classic Vietnamese folktale never before told in English and Vietnamese.
Ever since my friends started having children (you know who you are!)—I’ve loved gifting and sharing my love of books. Often though, I can never find beautiful, well-written, bilingual children’s books illustrating the fun and rich wisdom of Vietnamese folktales. At the same time, I had been searching for a project to work on with my mom, Tuoi Tran. Back in February 2018, we picked a favorite folktale, and enlisted the help of a burgeoning Vietnamese illustrator, Mai Dang.
With a year of work behind us, we are on schedule to print the first copies by March!
See some snapshots of the various stages of our work below!
A heroine's journey in picture-book form, filled with animals, adventures, and the discovery of self-empowerment
Why Toads Rule The Sky: Vì Sao Cóc Là Cậu Ông Trời is a story about toads, pandas, dogs, bees, friends, adventure, and playing to our strengths!
We’d love to have your support in bringing it to market: buy a book, or two, or ten. Share our Kickstarter campaign with friends who may know children and adults who could enjoy this fun, bilingual folktale.
For those interested, see our Project Timeline below!
- February, 2018 - selected folktale, and completed initial drafts of the Vietnamese and English versions
- March, 2018 - completed draft #2 of the Vietnamese and English versions
- April, 2018 - connected with Mai, our illustrator, to talk through the story and vision
- May, 2018 - final draft of the Vietnamese and English versions; book cover completed with initial sketches of scenes
- June - July, 2018 - revised sketches after feedback, and color roughs completed
- July - December 2018 - combine text with illustrations
- January, 2019 - launch of Kickstarter!
- March-April, 2019 - hard and soft covers will be shipped out!
Risks and challenges
At this point, the book is created! What's left is just the "small" matter of printing it, ensuring print quality, and then bringing it to market.
The only risk we face is not getting enough backers on Kickstarter to print our first initial set of 100 hardcovers.
I'll be reaching out to as many people as possible. We'd be so grateful if you could help share this campaign with others!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)