WOW we met our first goal
Thank you everyone for helping us reach our first goal, now we are aiming to meet our stretch goal of a beautiful travel case (see below). Thank you everyone.
Firstly, Whytes Watches Ltd is an independent watch company based in Western Canada.
Secondly, our aim is to design and produce the highest quality mechanical watches without the usual associated cost, and without compromising on design, movement and style.
Finally, to do this we have spent time sourcing the best components from the best suppliers globally to make you a solid, dependable and stylish watch that you will come to love. We offer no gimmicks, just honest to goodness upfront quality at ludicrously low prices.
We are surrounded by mountains, lakes, rivers and cities and a rich historical heritage. The BC Lower Mainland was at the heart of the gold rush of the mid 19th Century and also an important trading centre for commodities. The gritty, strong pioneering people who explored, worked and settled on the land, together with both the natural rugged and urban landscapes of our home provides the inspiration for our watches which combine modern precision technology with historical and classical undertones.
The Discoverer Mk1 and the Pioneer Mk1 mechanical watches
The Venturer Collection.
The Venturer Collection is a duo of watches alike in fundamental design but unique in their individuality. They are the embodiment of our ethos – quality, robust and stylish watches at an amazing price.
While most new watch companies use an ‘off the shelf’ generic watchcase to reduce cost, we have challenged ourselves and designed our own original case reflecting the inspiration for the watches. We are proud of our unique Whytes custom watchcase which is made from tough surgical grade 316L stainless steel, resistant to corrosion and knocks, and is the same steel used by the worlds most prestigious watch manufacturers. Rated at 10 ATM water resistance, you don’t need to worry if you fall in the water whilst canoeing, or take a spontaneous dip in the ocean. Take a close look at the lugs standing out from the case to meet the strap, they are unusual and give the watch a definite aura of originality.
Eleven concise features of our watches
We don't need to be wordy or flowery, we believe our watches can speak for themselves.
1. Designed in Canada - 100% of the design is completed by our designer in Canada. No part is a standard part (other than the movements of course). Our aim for the future is to bring the whole manufacturing process to Canada and source as many components as possible from within the country.
2. 316L Surgical Calibre stainless steel - The case and buckles are made with 316L stainless steel, as used in the highest quality watches and surgical instruments.
3. Anti Reflective Coating - The Venturer Collection comes standard with Sapphire glass that only diamonds can scratch and have an Anti Reflective (AR) coating applied to the inside.
4. Calf Skin Leather Strap – A soft leather hand stitched strap that feels great on the wrist and looks the part. Available in caramel for the Discoverer and black for the Pioneer.
5. Buckle - The Whytes buckle is also 316L stainless steel and each person who supports our campaign by funding a watch will be given the opportunity to choose either a standard buckle OR the Butterfly buckle after the campaign ends, included for free.
6. Quality 100% - First and foremost we see quality as the driver for our watch production, from the design, parts and suppliers through to the packaging and transportation. Believe us, quality and attention to detail means everything.
7. Screw down back - We don't use the standard means for securing the back case (whole case screw or press down). Instead we use six individual screws giving a 100m waterproofing feature as used by top class watch manufacturers.
8. Screw pin strap bar - As part of our design we screw in the strap, making it simpler to replace when you feel the need, we don't use a standard pin which is the norm with most watches. Our screws add that extra rugged security you would anticipate from a quality timepiece, and is a feature of the 19th century watches from which we draw inspiration.
9. Waterproof - the Venturer Collection is waterproofed to 100m (or 10ATM) and provides that extra security when you swim that challenging river, drop it on a muddy slope or battle the raging storm.
10. Attitude - Now we have done all the quality stuff, don’t you think the watches simply look great too, on both men and women? Definitely attention seekers!
11. Strictly limited to 250 of each design sold globally. The chances of running into someone wearing the same watch is approximately 14 million to 1. This is what will set you apart from the crowd, maintain exclusivity and make you feel a little special. To remind you of this fact, the edition number is etched into the reverse of each case.
Now take a look in a little more depth
The watch dimensions are sized to provide a sense of presence when worn, but not so large that it won't fit under your cuff when wearing a jacket at a restaurant or in the boardroom. Case is 42mm diameter, depth of 12mm, strap measuring 20mm in width giving the watch a restrained presence on the wrist.
The Venturer Collection is constructed with extremely hard sapphire crystal for the most superior scratch resistance. Additionally, the classically flat crystal comes standard with an anti-reflective treatment, making the face easy to read, even in difficult lighting. Applied hour markers and numerals on the ceramic face add depth to an exquisite dial. The hands and indices are lumed with superluminova C3.
Straps and clasps
The straps further enhance the solid, rugged feel of the watch and are 20mm wide, hand stitched, soft calf’s leather. The strap is held on to the case by a unique ‘screw’ that provides a classic but strong feel to the watch.
The Venturer Collection is powered by one of the most reliable movements available – the Citizen Miyota 9100 calibre. This includes a date window on both watches and the Discover has the Day and Month dials while the Pioneer retains the 24hour dial at 6pm. Both movements beat at 28,800 vph, resulting in an ultra smooth sweep of the second hand. It is also shock resistant, making it one of the best value movements on the market. Wound by the movement inherent in the movement of your wrist, the watches need no batteries, ever.
The Discoverer Mk 1 Mechanical Watch
Your Whytes Discoverer Mk1 watch shows the time in hours, minutes and seconds, together with the day, date and month and complete with a power reserve dial. To change the date on the watch, you could use a wooden toothpick. We say no to that! We include a custom made Titanium pin to do the job. You may only ever use this pin once in the lifetime of the watch (you do not need to change at the end of each month either, it is automatic), but once is enough for us provide a quality product in keeping with the exclusivity of the watch.
The Pioneer Mk1 Mechanical Watch
Using the Miyota 9110 and utilizing the 24 hr watch face at the 6pm position, this watch truly provides a feeling evocative of its name -The Pioneer. The Pioneer Mk1 features raised traditional black numerals, power reserve indicator, 24 hour dial at the 6pm position showing the current time in a 24 hour format, date indicator, luminous hands and second markers. Again made in classic stainless steel.
Each watch comes with a 12 month warranty against mechanical or production flaws.
We invite you to join us on our journey. Our friends love what they see.
- Watch review - "I always get a bit too much excited when I hear about a new Canadian watch brand and with Whytes Watches happened the same way."
- Wrist Watch review - "What spoke to me the most about this watch: It presents an attractive alternate look against the minimalist watches that dominate Kickstarter."
- The Time Bum - "Overall quality and fit and finish were excellent. One would be hard pressed to peg them for prototypes. Elegant dials, interesting movements."
- Watch Paper - "Design wise, the Venturer collection seems to be a blend of dressy elegance and sporty details."
Exceptional quality Mechanical watches at unbeatable prices
In the hopeful event that we secure sufficient funding from our Kickstarter campaign, we will then be able then to go straight into production of the watches. We have invested our own resources but initial production costs of such a quality timepiece in a limited edition range are high, and we have been successful in keeping the cost to you down to a minimum. Everything is in place and we are poised and ready to go. We just need your support, and we thank you for that.
A huge thank you to the following people who are assisting us with this campaign to date:
- Film and photography - Alex Beaucage @ bocajj.com
- Hospitality - Thanks to O5 tea shop in Kitsilano, Vancouver for their hospitality
- Music - Peter Rudenko - Snowing & Suedey - Buzzin Hard
- Thanks to Alex Bocajj
Please feel free to ask us any questions you may have.
We will publish the questions and our answers to this page for the benefit of other readers.
Stretch Goal 1 at $60,000
We are pleased to offer an unique Watch Travel case as our first stretch goal. This beautiful full leather case embossed with the Whytes logo is the ideal case to hold your watch in when travelling or when put away at home.
Stretch Goal 2
Stretch Gaol 2 at $68,000
We are pleased to offer for the reaching of stretch gaol 2 a stunning NATO strap in leather. this strap looks magnificent on the watches and echo our goal to make the reminiscent of the 18th century watches worn by the Pioneers and discoverers that fought the wilds of the Canadian landscape. We love the look of this strap on our watch and so will you.
Risks and challenges
Our risks and challenges are the same as others with product-based Kickstarter campaigns – typically this is production delays. With the selection of our suppliers complete and test dates trialed and achieved we do not anticipate delays beyond our timeline; however, there are no guarantees in life and so it is possible that something unanticipated could occur during production.
If something were to happen, rest assured that we would keep our Kickstarter community appraised of the situation.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)