Aubrey, Nick, and Tim are three friends on a casual camping trip. As they trek deeper into the woods, their fun weekend turns awry after being forced to set up camp. Lost, afraid, and alone, their worst nightmares come to life and the trio learn the unnatural will always for one's need for survival.
Croak is a three-issue horror miniseries written by Cody Sousa (Sonitus, CORPUS Anthology), drawn by Francesco Iaquinta (Rumble Kid), colored by Chris O’Halloran (Ice Cream Man, Lockjaw), lettered by Dezi Sienty (New 52’s Batman, Justice League), that is now being transformed into a 96-page graphic novel.
The concept originated from Cody's distaste with most horror films released at this time. Every film seemed like it would recycle the same tropes without much a difference. The endings were predictable, and so he sought out to create a story that would pay tribute to the genre while also indulging in the tropes in a way that would offer something new to the audience. Originally the story was written as a short film, but after some misfortunes with production and Cody's desire to dive deeper into the story, he paired up with talented creators, thus the miniseries Croak was created!
Published digitally by Alterna Comics in 2016 where it won the Ghastly Award for Best Limited Series, Croak was later printed physically on newsprint in 2017. Now in 2018, Croak is being turned into a graphic novel, featuring updated text/letters, with brand new pages, and zero issue breaks to create one flowing story.
The graphic novel edition features a brand new cover drawn by Adam Gorham (New Mutants: Dead Souls, The Violent) and colored by Mike Spicer (Extremity, Shirtless Bear Fighter) to give this edition an entirely new feel!
In addition to some behind-the-scene material, there will be a pinup gallery featuring artists Philip Sevy (Tomb Radier, The House), Emily Pearson (The Wilds, Cult Classic: Zero Short), Marco Roblin, Elena Ominetti (Puck), Chris Shehan (Deadbeat, Prometheus), Max Gagnon, Robert Geronimo (Blood Realm), and Francesco Iaquinta.
- Two separate print sets (a pinup and cover print set)!
- Every edition of Croak (physical and digital)!
- All three issues of Sonitus (in comic shops today) printed on classic newsprint. Sonitus has a story by Cody Sousa and Dan Sheppard, art by Cecilia Lo Valvo (2018 Top Cow Talent Hunt winner), colors by Dee Cunniffe (Her Infernal Descent, Redneck), and letters by Dezi Sienty. All single issues will be signed by Dan Sheppard and Cody Sousa!
- A landscape pinup print drawn by Marco Roblin!
- Commissions by Croak artist Francesco Iaquinta!
- Having your likeness drawn in a future project written by Cody Sousa!
- Original Croak interior pages drawn by Francesco Iaquinta!
- Original cover of the Croak graphic novel drawn by Adam Gorham!
- Every backer receives all three digital issues of Croak when pledging $3+
- Every backer receives the digital edition of the Croak graphic novel when pledging $7+
- $6,000 - NEW CROAK STORY!
If we raise $6,000 then I'll be writing a brand new 12-page Croak story titled A Bee and It's Sting to be drawn by Chris Shehan, colored by Dee Cunniffe, and letterered by Dezi Sienty. Anyone who pledged $7+ will automatically receive this story upon its completion!
- $7,000 - CROAK PINUP PRINT BY CHRIS SHEHAN!
If we raise $7,000 then everyone who pledged $25+ (or selected either pinup print set) will receive a print of the Croak pinup piece designed by Chris Shehan!
- $10,000 - SONITUS GRAPHIC NOVEL!
If we raise $10,000 then the Sonitus graphic novel will be funded! This edition will be over 80 pages in length and released in 2019. The graphic novel will feature a pinup gallery, a new cover drawn by Cecilia Lo Valvo, and other bonus content! Those who pledged $15+ will receive the digital edition of the Sonitus graphic novel. Anyone who pledged $20+ will receive the physical edition of the Sonitus graphic novel!
All the funds raised for this campaign will go to the shipping and printing of the Croak graphic novel scheduled to be released in October 2018, and the Kickstarter fee.
Risks and challenges
The entirety of Croak has been completed with single issues available on Comixology and local comic book shops. The goal of this project is to fund the graphic novel edition in order for it to be released by October 2018.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)