About this project
Live Dance Marathon Going on NOW!
Watch the live feed, ask questions, watch Matt dance for every new and/or increased pledge.
Who are you and what do you want?
I'm Matt Harding. I dance with people all over the world. I make videos of it and I put them on YouTube to show that the world is a whole lot safer and friendlier than it looks on TV. I'm working on a new project and I hope you'll help.
This sounds familiar. Have I seen one of your videos?
Right! I remember that. Okay. So...you're making another video?
I hope to. That's why I'm running a Kickstarter campaign.
Ah, I get it. You want my money.
Well, yeah. That'd be nice. But I'd be just as happy getting you to dance on video and send it to me.
Why would I do that?
Because if you do, I might come out and dance WITH you.
And why is that a good thing?
Because then you're connected to all the people I've ever danced with, like those Huli Wigmen in Papua New Guinea, and that nice lady in North Korea. And Beyoncé.
Hang on. Beyoncé?
Well, no. But thousands of other people all over the planet. You'll be in good company.
Do I have to give you money first?
How do I send you a video?
I don't want to watch a video. What does it say?
Dude, it's right there in the thumbnail.
- Hold a sign with your location written on it.
- Keep your video it under 20 seconds long.
- Use #dancewithmatt in the upload details.
- Don't include copyrighted music that will cause the video to be taken down.
Got it. And what if I want to give you money?
Hey, thanks! You came to the right place. Just pick a reward tier and...
Hang on. How much does it cost to fly around the world and dance with people? What are you spending my money on?
Right. Does this help?
Fair enough. So what do I get for backing?
At the $10 level, you get three things:
VOTE ON WHERE I GO. Your pledge will automatically count as one vote for the location listed in your Kickstarter profile. It doesn't matter which tier you back at. Each backer gets one vote. You'll be notified of when and where I'll be dancing so you can join in.
THANK YOU VIDEO. We'll scroll the names of all the backers up the screen while I dance to say thanks. I'll have a water bottle and towel handy, because it could take a while.
DOWNLOAD OF THE FINAL VIDEO. When the new dancing video is complete, you'll be able to download it to keep on your devices in the highest quality format without copy protection.
At the $25 level, we'll add:
POSTCARD FROM THE TRIP. Get a signed postcard in the mail of me dancing somewhere strange and exotic during my trip.
At the $100 level, instead of one postcard you'll get:
SET OF POSTCARDS. Get a series of SIX signed postcards in the mail of me dancing in strange and exotic places during my trip.
At the $400 level, we'll add:
DANCE-A-GRAM. I'll send you a personalized dancing video from my trip that includes a mix of exotic locations. You tell me the message and I'll say it while I dance around the world. One-of-a-kind birthday gift? Awkward wedding proposal? Fire an employee? Deliver the message to your friend, loved one, or underperforming subordinate in a unique and memorable way (okay, obviously nothing hurtful or unreasonable).
At the $2000 level, instead of the Dance-a-gram, you'll get:
MATT COMES TO YOU. I'll dance with you where you live anywhere in the world at a mutually agreed-upon date and time. I'll upload the video to YouTube when we're done, but I can't give any assurances that what we film will make it into the final video I release. (Terms and conditions apply. Send me a message to discuss before backing.)
JOIN MATT IN BHUTAN
- Spend three days with me in one of my favorite places in the world.
- Hike to the Tiger's Nest monastery, built on the face of a sheer 1000 meter cliff.
- Take an archery lesson using a Bhutanese longbow.
- Tour the town of Paro and stare in wonder at the many giant, glorious, decorated penis murals that adorn the homes, warding off demons and also people who don't like giant penis murals.
- We'll dance at all the major stops to create a special Bhutan trip video that will be put on YouTube.
(Flights from/to Bhutan not included. Additional guests welcome for a separate, reduced fee.)
JOIN MATT IN MYANMAR (BURMA)
- Spend four days with me in one of my favorite places in the world.
- Ride in a hot air balloon over the lost city of Bagan.
- Fly to Mandalay to walk the U Bein stilt bridge and see Kuthodaw Pagoda; with its 730 inscribed stone tablets that make it "the world's largest book."
- Visit the spectacular Shwedagon Pagoda in the capitol of Yangon.
- We'll dance at all the major stops to create a special Mynamar trip video that will be put on YouTube.
(Flights from/to Myanmar not included. Additional guests welcome for a separate, reduced fee.)
JOIN MATT IN NAMIBIA
- Spend four days with me in one of my favorite places in the world.
- Road trip across the otherworldly Namib desert.
- Visit Dead Vlei; a surreal clearing of sun-blackened trees surrounded by some of the highest sand dunes on Earth.
- Stay in a functioning lighthouse outside Walvis Bay.
- Kayak out to a massive seal colony.
- Take a quad bike tour across the sand dunes.
- We'll dance at all the major stops to create a special Namibia trip video that will be put on YouTube.
(Flights from/to Namibia not included. Additional guests welcome for a separate, reduced fee.)
COMPANY-WIDE DANCING VIDEO. I'll come to you anywhere in the world to create a dancing video with your employees. Optional 30 minute talk about my story and what I learned, followed by a group dance and individual photos/videos with the audience. (Terms and conditions apply. Send me a message to discuss before backing.)
Risks and challenges
I've made a few of these round-the-world dancing videos, so I have a pretty good idea of the work and costs involved. However, this is my first Kickstarter campaign, and my first time working with backers.
This project is far more collaborative than my previous efforts. I'm asking supporters to determine most of what goes into this video, so there is the risk that goes along with any shared creative effort. In addition:
This project will include many far-flung countries all over the world, so there is the risk of both natural and unnatural disasters altering the plan as we go.
LOSS AND DAMAGE
Equipment could get damaged. Footage could be lost or destroyed. All the gear I use is easily replaceable and we'll constantly be backing everything up to the cloud, so those risks are mitigated but still very possible.
One thing that isn't so replaceable: my body. I could get injured to the point that I can no longer dance. Worse, I could die. Let's not dwell on that.
Someone close to me may require my presence to a degree that I'm no longer able to travel. My family is the top priority in my life. If I need to stay home for any of them, this project is going on pause.
The costs of travel fluctuate a great deal. Exchange rates change. Fuel prices rise. Flights are missed and need to be re-booked. These things could limit how far we can make our travel dollars go.
Mailing postcards to backers from remote locations could go wrong for a multitude of reasons. Addresses are miswritten or misread. Postcards get rained on or crushed or forgotten. Stuff gets lost in the mail all the time. We're factoring in the high risk that postcards won't get delivered and will do our best to resend them.
The select few backers who come with me on the trip will be taking on a whole other level of risk. The activities we plan may prove impossible once we're there. The destinations, unreachable. In places like Bhutan, Myanmar, and Namibia, things don't always go according to plan. We'll do everything we can to create a once-in-a-lifetime experience for those who join me on my trip, but if things don't go our way, we may have to improvise.
Support this project
- (30 days)