Fire in the Library is a press-your-luck game from Weird Giraffe Games by Tony Miller and John Prather with art by Beth Sobel and Katie Khau.
Players are heroic librarians rescuing books to accumulate knowledge and earn bravery all while avoiding the flames before the library collapses!
- Easy to Learn: Simple enough for kids to play and enjoy, with depth and strategy that will keep serious gamers coming back.
- Increasing Intensity: Books increase in value all the way until the end but no one knows who will take the last turn. Players must decide if they should save tools for an epic late game point swing or grab points now to take an early lead.
- AI Variants: Experience the excitement of Fire in the Library on your own with the solo game or spice up a multi-player match by adding new challengers.
History is burning—take chances, be brave, SAVE BOOKS!
See the rest of Gameosity's review here.
You can see Jeremy's full review here.
Below is the How to Play video:
Below is a full playthrough video:
Below is the How to Play for the solo version:
Each round of Fire in the Library begins with each player obtaining a turn order card. Turn order cards contain safe and risky spaces for different strategies.
Play then moves to the Saving Books phase where each player, in turn order, draws tokens from a bag to see what they save. If you stop, you’ll score points for any books you save and earn points for bravery if you stopped on a risky space. Books will increase in value as Sections of the Library burn down.
Watch out! Pressing your luck while Saving Books may pull out fire tokens. Pull two fire tokens out—or just one in a risky space—and things will all go up in flames as the fire spreads! Sections of the Library will collapse based on the tokens you pulled during the Saving Books phase if you've pressed your luck too far. This can cause more Fire tokens to be added to the bag, as well as increasing the value of the burned Sections.
Fortunately, not everything is left up to luck. As a resourceful librarian, you have tools at your disposal. You start with two and may gain more during the course of the game. All of the tools provide new options for saving books, changing the odds, or giving more opportunities to press your luck.
Once each player has taken a turn, the Round is over and the fire continues to grow. Burn a Section of the Library by setting aside the Library card that has the lowest Burn Index Number (smaller number on the Library card).
The game ends IMMEDIATELY when the last Library card for any one Section of the Library is removed. The player with the highest score, wins!
Rules, Print and Play, and TableTop Simulator
You can learn from the full rules here: http://fitl.sale/rules (The rules are not final and will be formatted professionally in the final game). If you'd like us to translate the rules to another language, please tell us!
You can download the black and white, non graphical Print and Play here.
Fire in the Library on Tabletop Simulator here!
You can read the rest of Derek's review here.
See the rest of Stuart's review here.
See the rest of Cassie's review below!
See the rest of Lindsay's review below!
Read the rest of Katie's review here.
See the rest of Marti's review here.
You can read the rest of Nicole's review here.
You can read the rest of Matt's review here.
See the rest of the Tantrum House preview below!
See the rest of Jonathan's review here.
See the rest of Ric's review here.
See the rest of Jeremy's review here.
See the rest of Joshua's review here.
See the rest of Andrew's review here.
See the rest of Christoph's review here.
See the rest of Eric's review here.
See the rest of Edo's review below.
See the rest of Andy's review here.
Every pledge grants access to the pledge manager at the end of the campaign.
You can read the rest of Derek's review here.
Fire in the Library Gifts
For the Fire in the Library gifts, we plan on contacting libraries around the country to find out which ones have game libraries and are open to receiving new ones.
If there's any library or other location, such as a Senior Center or Military base, that's near and dear to you, please contact us! We'd love to get the games to the libraries and other locations that could use them.
The Gift backing levels will also come with an additional laser cut Fire in the Library gift token as a thank you for thinking about others! There will be two tokens made, the Library Hero token for anyone who gifts at least one game and the Super Library Hero for those who gift at least three.
To add an add-on to your pledge, click the Manage Your Pledge button, click the Change Your Pledge button, then update the pledge amount.
The Jumbo Laser Cut Token Add-On will come with a set of Tarot sized Turn Order cards to fit the tokens. Shipping is included for US backers, but if you're outside the US, you should add an additional $2 for shipping for each token or bag add-on.
Ultra Edition of Fire in the Library
This Ultra Edition is very special and unique; we'll make a few more than are backed here, but we'll never make a large number of them. Each one will have a unique token that only you will get. These are going to be handcrafted and put together in the US. This will complement the base Fire in the Library game and if you back for the Ultra Version, you will receive both the Ultra and base game. This means you can mix and match the components as you wish to create the game experience that you want.
Help us reach four out of the five social goals and we'll add a Bravest Librarian card to the game! If we meet all five goals, we'll include a special promo card in the game, as well!
People sometimes wonder why they should back a Kickstarter campaign instead of waiting to get the game later in retail. The most important reason not to wait with Fire in the Library is that we currently have no plans to put this game into distribution. If you wait, you may end up missing out as we won’t have many extra copies to sell and unless your local store backs the campaign, they won’t be carrying it either.
- Kickstarter Limited – Fire in the Library might be very hard to find after the campaign, outside of select conventions.
- Help Us Improve Fire in the Library – We have a ton of stretch goals planned to help improve the quality of the components and add more content to the game for everyone!
- Subsidized Shipping – $5 shipping to the USA, $10 to the EU and Canada and $15 to everyone else. We’re going to pay for the rest of the shipping costs.
- Discounted – After the campaign, we will sell the extra copies at a higher cost.
- EU Friendly – copies will be sent from inside the EU to avoid VAT fees for backers.
Most importantly, without you, Fire in the Library would not get created. We definitely appreciate every backer’s support in making our dream a reality.
We would love to support game stores by offering the Kickstarter versions of Fire in the Library to retailers during the campaign. Back the project for $1, send us a message, and we'll get back to you! An invoice will be sent to you before we ship your rewards.
Shipping costs differ based on your location:
- $5 for the United States
- $10 for the EU, Canada, and Australia
- $15 for the rest of the world
We are still working on the fulfillment strategy with several potential fulfillment partners to get Fire in the Library to you the proper way, with fulfillment partners in different parts of the world which will be chosen closer to shipping, as things tend to change over time. We intend to personally be shipping out the copies that have destinations within the United States.
To order a second copy of Fire in the Library, add an additional $24 to your pledge with no additional shipping cost.
I am happy to discuss group orders larger than two copies, but these need to be handled on a country by country basis. Please send me a direct message including country and number of copies to discuss.
Fire in the Library is the third project of Weird Giraffe Games. Super Hack Override was our first project and it was delivered a month early to backers in March 2017. Stellar Leap is our second project and is currently scheduled to be delivered early to backers in June.
Weird Giraffe Games was founded to create games that are easy to learn and play, but layered with strategy.
The Fire in the Library team is made of the following people:
We're looking forward to talking to you throughout this Kickstarter and after! Please feel free to reach out to us directly, in the comments, or in a variety of methods on social media if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. We would love to hear from you!
- Follow Weird Giraffe Games on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Board Game Geek or visit our website.
PODCASTS, INTERVIEWS, AND MORE INFO ABOUT FIRE IN THE LIBRARY
- Breaking into Board Games Episode 59 - Carla Kopp
- Episode 68 - Tony Miller, The Bearded Rogue of Breaking Into Board Games
- MFGCast: Talking with Carla Kopp about Fire in the Library
- Interview with Carla Kopp of Weird Giraffe Games
Engage!: A Family Gaming Podcast: Episode 124: Carla Kopp from Weird Giraffe Games
Delve 157: Fire in the Library
FIRE in the Library - Carla Kopp - Weird Giraffe Games
Flatout at the Table: Board Game Design Talk: 008 Lighting the Fire with Tony Miller and 009 Spreading the Fire with Carla Kopp
Episode 74 - Tony "Bearded Rougue" Miller Comes Back To Set Fire To My Library
The Cubist #66: All Fired Up!
Kickstarter Campaign of the Week: Fire in the Library!
‘Fire in the Library’ is Burning It Up on Kickstarter
Fire in the Library – Salviamo la conoscenza su Kickstarter
Table Crashers - Fire in the Library - Ep.012
THANK SO MUCH YOU!
We'd also like to thank the following people for all of their help:
- Ian Allen, Daryl Andrews, Steven Aramini, Danny Devine, Paul Kluka, Dillon Beck, Justin Brown, John du Bois, Chris Bryan, Steve and Tiffany Caires, Alyse and Danny Capaccio, Chris Chung, Erin and Lee Coduti, Yugo Cohen Nakai, Annette Czech, Jeremy Davis, Jon Duell, Scott Duncan, Randy Flynn, Jennifer Glinzak, Jeff Hale, Thomas Halpin, Scooter Hamilton, Mariah Toles, Jason Hancock, Andrew Hanks, Erica Hayes-Bouyouris, Jamie Kelly, Greg Kopp, Jason Kotarski, Emma Larkins, Janine Mason, Adam McIver, Adam Leamey, Molly Miller, Arielle Nakai Cohen, Daniel Peterson, David and Jenny Pierce, Emily and John Prather, Jessie Prather, Sarah and Will Reed, Brandon Robinson, Chris Rowlands, Paul Schmeltzer, Shawn Stankewich, Moriah Sorter, Jason Tagmire, Barry Tice, Vincent Verrinoldi, Evdokia Sofos, Eric Webb, Spencer Williams, Aaron Wilson, Diana Wray, Ian Zang, Michael Belsole III, and so many other playtesters! This game wouldn't be as good as it is without your help.
- Sarah and Will Reed for their wording help in the rules and on this page.
- Derek Maggs, Eduardo Baraf, Ric White, Jeremy Davis, Jessica & Andrew Fisher, Jeremy Howard, Jonathan Liu, Cassie Friedman-Caffrey, Stuart Dunn, Kevin and Melissa Delp, Derek Maggs, Matthew Smail, Andy Matthrews, Lindsay Miller, Andrew Smith, Nicole Brady, and Eric Yurko for reviewing/previewing Fire in the Library.
- Cardboard Herald, Cathy from Our Turn, Breaking into Board Games, We're Not Wizards, Board Game Gumbo, Flat Out at the Table, Muddled Dice, MFGCast, Rockey from Craven Games, Tyson from Inside Game Design, and Zach from Board with Friends for helping raise awareness of Fire in the Library.
- Royalty Free Music for our video was from: www.hooksounds.com
Risks and challenges
Although we have already successfully funded and delivered a project on Kickstarter, Fire in the Library is a more involved project. We would love if everything went smoothly, but we are also trying to be prepared for any problem that could arise.
Fire in the Library will be manufactured by a reputable company (Longpack) but international shipping always has the potential for delays and complications.
If things run behind schedule, we think the best approach is to always be up front and communicative with backers. It's our goal to make post-campaign updates part of this experience and we plan to update bi-weekly until production has begun in order to keep backers informed of the progress of Fire in the Library.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (24 days)