RPerl v1.1 is a success, THANKS TO YOU and our loyal backers in the previous Kickstarter campaign!
RPerl is an optimizing compiler for the Perl computer programming language, which means RPerl helps make Perl programs run REALLY FAST. RPerl currently supports a low-magic subset of Perl 5, approximately 10% of Perl 5's seemingly-endless list of features, and future versions of RPerl will provide 100% full support for all of Perl 5 followed by Perl 6.
Before the RPerl compiler, Perl has been consistently ranked as one of the very slowest languages for nearly any task other than regular expressions. Now this is all changing.
Everyone who programs in Perl or uses Perl applications should be very interested in using RPerl to speed up their software experience. Fast, compiled RPerl modules are loaded by the Perl core just the same as slow, un-compiled modules. Perl developers, please see the basic usage instructions for documentation. Perl users, please ask the developers of your software to upgrade to RPerl for a major speed boost!
We can now use RPerl to automatically compile and optimize the bubble sort benchmark application at 352x the speed of normal Perl, as well as the n-body benchmark at 217x of Perl. WOW!
RPerl's currently-supported subset of Perl 5 is a combination of Perl Best Practices, Perl::Critic severity 1, and a list of low-magic rules. Our next step is to implement support for all Perl builtin operators, then add medium-magic features including regular expressions, then finally add the other high-magic features currently forbidden in the low-magic rules.
Funds raised by this Kickstarter campaign will enable RPerl creator Will Braswell to continue development of RPerl v1.2 and beyond. Depending upon availability of funds and suitable applicants, an additional RPerl developer may be trained and engaged.
Please make a generous pledge to show your support for the future of Perl!
CURRENT STATE OF DEVELOPMENT:
- Fast C++ Ops / C++ Types Execution Mode
- Ultra-Fast SSE Data Type & Operators
- SDL Graphics Library Support
- Bubble Sort Benchmark Application
- N-Body Benchmark Application
- Eyapp EBNF Grammar Written From Scratch
- Object-Oriented Programming Support
- Windows Operating System Support
- Passes Over 3,200 Unique Tests
VERSION 1.2 FEATURES:
- Release Updated Parse::Eyapp To CPAN For Perl v5.22 Compatibility
- Implement 10 Additional Perl Builtin Operators In CPPOPS_CPPTYPES Mode (Different Operators Than TPF Grant Proposal If Approved)
- Add Windows Operating System Build Test Support Via Appveyor
- Fix Dependencies Warnings For Monolithic Modules
- Implement 20 Additional Tests
- Fix Dependencies File Path Unnecessary Expansion
ESTIMATED PROJECT TIMELINE:
- Halloween, 2015: Release RPerl v1.2
- Thanksgiving, 2015: Release RPerl v1.3 (stretch goal)
- Christmas, 2015: Release RPerl v2.0beta1 (stretch goal)
- St. Valentine's Day, 2016: Release RPerl v2.0beta2 (stretch goal)
- April Fool's Day, 2016: Release RPerl v2.0beta3 (stretch goal)
- US Independence Day, 2016: Release RPerl v2.0 (stretch goal)
Our base-line goal is to raise at least $1,701 for RPerl v1.2 development.
If we raise additional funds, we will work on the following...
$3,500: RPerl v1.3
- Finish All CPPOPS_CPPTYPES Code Generation (make sure all current RPerl grammar productions generate the proper C++ output code)
- 1 New Benchmark Application, Different Benchmark Than TPF Grant Proposal If Approved (taken from the list of Alioth applications)
$6,500: RPerl v2.0beta1
- Basic Loop Parallelization, CPPOPS_CPPTYPES Mode (increase performance of single-nested foreach loops)
$10,000: RPerl v2.0beta2
- Advanced Loop Parallelization, CPPOPS_CPPTYPES Mode (increase performance of all eligible loops)
$14,000: RPerl v2.0beta3
- Basic Hyper Operators, CPPOPS_CPPTYPES Mode (increase performance of arithmetic operations)
$20,000: RPerl v2.0
- Advanced Hyper Operators, CPPOPS_CPPTYPES Mode (increase performance of all eligible operations)
$30,000: RPerl v2.1
- Basic Regular Expressions Support (simple match and substitution without modifiers)
$50,000: RPerl v2.2
- Advanced Regular Expressions Support (all eligible regex patterns)
$75,000: RPerl v3.0beta1
- Basic Medium Magic Support (new RPerl grammar parsing all eligible compile-time-resolvable Perl 5 code)
You deserve some REALLY COOL STUFF!
$1+: RPERL BENEFACTOR, WALL OF BENEFACTORS
Everyone who donates $1 or more will be added to the next prestigious WALL OF BENEFACTORS! Our previous Wall Of Benefactors and all others which follow will remain as digital monuments to the ages.
$10 - $24: RPERL BUDDY, SHOUT-OUT & POST CARD
The RPerl development team will give you a personal shout-out on RPerl social media, your choice of Facebook and / or Twitter! We will also mail you a hand-signed thank-you post card in the mail, a memento which you will, no doubt, treasure for decades to come.
$25 - $39: RPERL FRIEND, ORIGAMI ROADRUNNER
As with our RPerl v1.0 campaign, we will once again offer beautiful and graceful origami creations, lovingly hand-crafted by our own RPerl team members. This campaign will feature origami paper incarnations of "Roadie", the RPerl roadrunner animal mascot.
$40 - $59: RPERL SUPPORTER, COFFEE MUG
Need we say more?
$60 - $84: RPERL ENTHUSIAST, T-SHIRT
Again keeping with the time-honored tradition of "Geeks Love T-Shirts", we have updated and spiced up the now-classic "RPerl is faster than Your Perl" design. We call this design "Faster Mascots".
We have also added a new design incorporating The Low-Magic Perl Commandments, we call this design "Commandment Zero".
And yes, you need to COLLECT ALL THE RPERL T-SHIRTS.
$85 - $149: RPERL PROMOTER, COMBO PACK
You love the mug.
AND YOU ALSO LOVE THE T-SHIRT.
You must have both.
This is your combo pack.
1 coffee mug + 1 t-shirt
$150 - $249: RPERL COLLECTOR, COMBO PACK
You love it all.
You want it all.
YOU NEED IT ALL.
1 coffee mug + 2 t-shirts + 1 origami + 1 shout out + 1 post card
$250 - $499: RPERL USER, TECH SUPPORT
Want help getting RPerl installed and running?
Sounds like you need TECH SUPPORT.
Our friendly and knowledgable technicians will provided you with RPerl v1.1 technical support for 6 months.
$500 - $999: RPERL HARDCORE, CAMPING ADVENTURE
Love the outdoors?
Want to spend some one-on-one time with RPerl creator Will Braswell?
Sign up for a one-of-a-kind Weekend Camping Adventure, guided by your very own Scouting expert! (Travel & additional expenses are to be paid by the backer, and are not included in the pledge amount.)
$500 - $999: RPERL LOVER, LIVE JUGGLING SHOW
Love the fun & laughter of circus?
Want to spend some one-on-one time with RPerl creator Will Braswell?
Sign up for a one-of-a-kind Circus Texas Show, starring your very own cane juggler! (Travel & additional expenses are to be paid by the backer, and are not included in the pledge amount.)
$1,000 - $1,499: RPERL DEVELOPER
Are you an ACTUAL PROGRAMMER?
What you want is a laptop with RPerl v1.1 pre-installed and ready to rock, along with RPerl technical support for 1 year.
Let's start coding!
$1,500+: RPERL MATRON / PATRON
You must love RPerl nearly as much as Will the Chill.
Tell us how we can best serve your RPerl needs!
Risks and challenges
From the previous Kickstarter campaign: "The biggest challenge faced by many software development projects is unforeseen complexity. There may be unknown bugs or limitations in the software upon which RPerl is dependent, or there may be aspects of RPerl's design which are more difficult to implement than planned."
The biggest unforseen hurdles to reach RPerl v1.0 were the need for us to fix the "infamous namespace hack" in the Inline::CPP code (not a bug in RPerl), and the need for us to write our own RPerl grammar from scratch due to the in-applicability of the PPI high-magic Perl parsing library. Both of these challenges, along with hundreds of others, were overcome, and RPerl v1.0 is now a success!
As in the previous Kickstarter campaign, the funding goal for the basic release of RPerl v1.2 is very low, only $1,701, so the associated risk is also very low. The challenge of unforeseen complexity increases with future versions of RPerl beyond the v1.2 release. Other common software development issues include feature creep (adding too many features) and bike-shedding (focus on aesthetics before functionality).
These challenges are met by the use of our publicly-visible RPerl project management website, now updated to reflect the completion of RPerl v1.1:
- (10 days)