1994-2019. For the 25th anniversary of the Little Big Adventure game series, here come the fully-licensed Symphonic Suite based on the music from these cult games by its composer Philippe Vachey, with the official support of the original team lead by Didier Chanfray and Frederick Raynal! This project is, of course, lead by the composer himself!
In the mid-nineties, Little Big Adventure (Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure in USA and Asia) revolutionized the video gaming with an innovative system, a captivating storyline and characters that live in everyone's memories. The hero, Twinsen, fights evil in a journey that leads him to discover the secrets of his destiny and to explore fantastic places around the world, and beyond!
It is the symphonic music composed by Philippe Vachey which adorns the two opuses of Little Big Adventure, with an extraordinary orchestration and quality of writing. These two titles are two standouts in the action adventure and fantasy genre. 25 years after the creation of the game, Philippe Vachey finally realizes the project of arranging the music of Little Big Adventure 1 & 2 for an exceptional symphonic suite, in collaboration with the best talents of the symphonic production in Europe!
Our goal is to make possible a symphonic suite gathering the music of Little Big Adventure 1 and 2, carefully crafted by the composer Philippe Vachey, in a new form and developing different themes as never seen before!
This fundraising campaign works with a company specialized in symphonic production for cinema and gaming, Scoring Production, as well as the chain of professionals that this project requires: the writing, the arrangement, the programming, the performance, the recording, the mixing and the mastering for gorgeous CD and vinyl editions.
Developed in 1992 by the original team of Alone in the Dark, the first Survival Horror in video game history – which, by the admission of its creator Shinji Mikami, inspired Resident Evil - the saga Little Big Adventure is the founding work of the Adeline Software studio. Created by Frédérick Raynal, Didier Chanfray, Yael Barroz and Laurent Salmeron. With its captivating screenplay, colorful and open world, symphonic music ahead of its time, and its unforgettable hero Twinsen, Little Big Adventure and its 1997 sequel captured the attention of the press and the public in a way that few titles did at this time.
Now cult, Twinsen's two adventures are regularly discovered by new generations of players, thanks to recent downloadable versions available on GOG.com and DotEmu. Discover why the critics of the time rated the game as one of the best of its generation!
The original music of the saga Little Big Adventure was already symphonic, with great precision in its orchestration, something very rare for video games of its time. The composer, Philippe Vachey, had nonetheless put many ideas aside and since expressed the desire to work on an unprecedented, complete and ambitious version of his music in the form of a symphonic suite. A new and reformulated odyssey in the most beautiful way for Twinsen and fans around the world. In 2019, 25 years after the release of the first album, it is with the greatest talents from film, music and current technologies that the project can finally come to life.
This symphonic suite will consist of all themes from the two games, redesigned, arranged and orchestrated by Philippe Vachey and the team of the Scoring Orchestra. A long-term work, which will keep the original spirit of the games while changing the music, the themes and their colors, to new horizons, even new emotions.
Original composer of Little Big Adventure (1994), Little Big Adventure 2 (1997), Alone in the Dark (1992), Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet (1994), Time Commando (1996) and Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals (2008). Philippe Vachey is one of the most well-known video game music pioneers, composing music for the first modern Survival Horror (Alone in The Dark, which was one of the most influential games for Resident Evil according to its creator Shinji Mikami), with its innovating musical idea in the service of the gameplay. In 1994, while most of the video game composers were working on hardwares such as the SNES, Philippe composed a fully-orchestrated music for Little Big Adventure, one of the most gorgeous and impressive work for video games of its time. Philippe is the main producer and composer of all this symphony, ensuring the quality of this project for the fans.
Co-creator of the Little Big Adventure series with Frederick Raynal, character and story designer of the games, Didier Chanfray is one of the most talented game designers. He created the entire world of Twinsen as well as most of the characters and graphic ideas behind the games. He is also the “gatekeeper” of the license! Didier will keep an eye on the project and all the following rewards and products. He is also the original architect of the new designs we have for this project, and provides all the archives you will be able to see in the collectible booklet full of illustration and designs, some of which have never been seen before!
Co-creator of the Little Big Adventure series with Didier Chanfray, Frederick Raynal is one of the best game designers of his time. He became Knight of the Order of the Arts and Letters for the first time for a game designer in 2006 with Michel Ancel (Raymal, Beyond Good and Evil) and Shigeru Miyamoto (Mario, Zelda). His vision and creativity allowed gamers from all over the world to have the best video games ideas, from the first Survival Horror (Alone in the Dark) to the incredible gameplay of Little Big Adventure. Recently, he did 2Dark, a new Survival Horror full of inventiveness.
We are also very happy to count the original designers of Little Big Adventure involved into this project:
- Yael Barroz: Lead 2D Art, Background concept, calligraphy concept, colorimetry – LBA1&2
- Frédéric Taquet : Lead 3D SGI – LBA1&2
- Benoît Boucher: 3D Art, storyboard – LBA2
- Arnaud Lhomme: 3D Art, animation – LBA2
Dedicated to the promotion of music first and foremost, Wayô is a label driven by passion, but also by a strong sense of respect for the composers and their work. Past projects: world release of the soundtracks of Ni No Kuni and Ni No Kuni II (Joe Hisaishi), Legend of Legacy (Masashi Hamauzu), Of Orcs and Men (Olivier Derivière), Streets of Rage (Yûzô Koshiro), Sonic Forces (Tomoya Ohtani, Naofumi Hataya, Kenichi Tokoi et Takahito Eguchi), Skies of Arcadia (Yutaka Minobe, Tatsuyuki Maeda), and many more. Wayô is also a specialized concert production company, among composers such as Hitoshi Sakimoto, Michiru Ôshima, Yôko Shimomura, Masashi Hamauzu, Akira Yamaoka… This project is managed by Jonathan Khersis and Romain Dasnoy.
Founded in 2014, Scoring Productions is a France-based music production company dedicated to audiovisual projects, from movies to television through advertising or video games. Created to accommodate these specific needs, the Scoring Orchestra brings together professional musicians trained to the requirements of film music, adapting to any type of projects, from the most intimate to the most grandiose. Scoring Productions also offers all the skills necessary to complete a screen music project: recording sessions and scores preparation, orchestrations and arrangements services, the best orchestra conductors, and seasoned sound engineers able to provide high quality mixing and mastering.
The symphonic suite, but also the original music of Little Big Adventure 1 and 2, will be the subject of a prestigious edition on digital media, as well as on physical media! Thus, you can enjoy a double-CD crystal case and a double-vinyl version, all with beautiful finishes and illustrations of time, sometimes unpublished, as well as an original illustration Didier Chanfray and his team made specially for this project!
CD description: two-disc jewel case with scabbard, 32-page booklet, picture discs, contains the entire symphonic suite and soundtracks of Little Big Adventure 1 & 2.
Vinyl Description: two blue and gold vinyls, gatefold, 140g, large central original illustration by Didier Chanfray, contains the entire symphonic suite and a selection of Little Big Adventure 1 & 2 soundtracks.
*For the purchase of the CD version and / or the vinyl version, the entire symphonic suite and original soundtracks will be available in a digital version.
Reward “Emerald Dreamers”
- An exclusive Shikishi with an illustration from the Little Big Adventure games. A Shikishi is a sheet of fine handmade paper affixed to a hard backing. The edges are decorated with a strip of gold paper. A very high Japanese-quality product, 242*272mm (9,53*10,71in), made in Japan by Wayô Records in an authentic Shikishi factory.
Reward “Dino-Fly Trainers”
- A collectible A7 sticker with the title of the game and a rare design from the games, 80g/m², 74*105mm (2,9*4,15in).
Reward “Sendell Guardians”
- The real Sendell’s Medallion as a high value collectible item, with a diameter of around 70mm. A beautiful replica in metal specially designed for the 25th Anniversary! High-quality product, very limited!
- The Bù Scroll with a very special message from the composer of Little Big Adventure, Philippe Vachey, written in English and French, with the Sendell stamp on it.
- Collectible A4 luxurious piano score of the main theme of Little Big Adventure (297mm*210mm / 11.7in*8.3in) in very high-quality coated paper 400mg/m², with a matte dispersion varnish.
- 8 collectible A5 luxurious cards with the original designs from the game (297mm*210mm / 11.7in*8.3in) in high quality coated paper, 300g/m², colors, heavyweight matte. Each card has an official illustration from the games.
Reward “Temple of Bù Treasures”
- A collectible and limited Little Big Adventure Music Box: a luxury 30-note mechanical movement inside a beautiful box, performing the main theme of LBA mechanically performed. This item is a very high-quality product, with noble materials and an automatic mechanical system which can play the music ten times in a row. A beautiful and highly collectible object, especially designer by Wayô Records under the direction of Philippe Vachey!
- Collectible A4 luxurious piano score of the main theme of Little Big Adventure (297mm*210mm / 11.7in*8.3in) in very high-quality coated paper 400mg/m², with a matte dispersion varnish, hand-signed by the composer Philippe Vachey!
- The original illustration made by Didier Chanfray and his team especially for this project, hand-signed by them, in A3-square (297mm*210mm / 11.7in*8.3in) in very high-quality coated paper 400mg/m², with a matte dispersion varnish!
As the end of the Kickstarter campaign, all the elements will be in place to go as quickly as possible and allow delivery of all objects between the end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020, as part of the 25th anniversary of the series!
- July 2019: end of composing and arranging the music. Conception and final design of all the products.
- August 2019: orchestration and recording working sessions.
- September 2019: mastering and manufacturing of the products.
- December 2019 to March 2020: delivery of all the products. Please note that some of the products can be longer to produce because of their complexity (especially the music box, and the vinyl). We will do our best to send everything by the end of December!
Reaching the main goal would be fantastic, but the dream can go even further and we need your help to make it happen! We can create more music, with more musicians, it all depends on you!
Risks and challenges
Despite all his qualities, Little Big Adventure is now an oldie game, known by a lot of gamers, but not necessary by the newest. This Kickstarter campaign is a real challenge for all the production team, from the original creators and the original composer to the current team involved into this Symphonic Suite.
We are aware that some prices here seems to be a little bit expensive. Please note that this is a fully-licensed project with royalties fees, and we have the manufacturing of the products which is pretty expensive. These prices will allow us to finance the symphony and to give a new start to the LBA license.
Most of all, we don't want to create a low-cost projet. LBA is a legendary game series, and we need the best to show to everyone that 25 years later, this is always a one of a game piece of work, a part of our video game heritage!
We know that with your love for the games and their music, everything will be possible. All together, let's celebrate in the best way possible one of the best game of his time!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)