WAXWORKS SPECIAL EDITION (Canceled)
FPS Action adventure horror game divided into five different time periods with a RPG elements.
WAXWORKS SPECIAL EDITION (Canceled)
FPS Action adventure horror game divided into five different time periods with a RPG elements.
Waxworks SE is a first-person, action-adventure horror game. The game is divided into five different time periods: Ancient Egyptian, Medieval Transylvania, Victorian England, Industrial Mines, and Ixona's Period.
Three of those time periods have a mixture of puzzle-solving and combat, whereas the Victorian England and Ixona ones are mainly focused on puzzle-solving. Once a time period is completed, the player can transfer all his/her statistics to other levels.
In each time period the player moves through a series of corridors using a RPG interface for picking up items, solving puzzles, avoiding deadly encounters and engaging in combat with various opponents. The player can also use Uncle Boris' crystal ball to receive hints and occasional healing items. The main objective is to collect a special item from each of the evil twin ancestors before venturing into the Ixona Period to undo the family's curse.
For the last five generations in your family, twins have been born. One was always good and the other was the extreme opposite - twisted, sadistic, evil and not one bit nice. Your uncle has gathered the four evil twins in his waxworks and you must stop them in order to break the curse a witch cast over your family. With the help of magic, you'll be able to enter the worlds of these twins (enter the waxworks) and kill them and destroy the power that feeds the curse.
MIKE WOODROFFE - THE ORIGINAL GAME DEVELOPER
Still dazed from the strange and terrifying events of the past week, you pause at the cold, forbidding entrance to Uncle Boris' eerie stone mansion. Inside awaits the Waxworks. You really don't want to be here. You want to turn on your heel and flee this vile, revolting place, never to return. But you can't. You must master your fears and go on. Remember that only you can free your possessed twin Alex from the dreaded curse of Ixona and save the world from the diabolical forces of evil he is preparing to unleash. You must face the horrors that await you in the Waxworks and you must face them alone. Lifting the curse of Ixona and saving Alex will not be easy. You'll need extraordinary and cunning skill to avoid the flesh-rending traps and solve the mind-perplexing puzzles that await you. You'll need heroic courage and superhuman strength to face the ruthless fiends that lurk within the bowels of the perilous Waxworks. However, do not fear for you'll have the benevolent spirit of Uncle Boris to guide you if you falter.
The forbidding doors of the mansion slowly open with a low mournful wail. Your flesh crawls as the faint smell of the musty old wax museum pervades the air around you. You find yourself staring into the lifeless eyes of a huge, creepy apparition in a butler's suit. He escorts you through the halls leading to the exhibits. The corridors appear harmless but you still feel uneasy. Things are not as they appear. There are four dangerous and challenging quests to master and survive before you can save Alex: the mysterious land of the Pharaohs, the dark menacing streets of 1888 London, the treacherous iron mines, and finally the unworldly graveyard.
The time has come for you to enter the exhibits and face your destiny. Chances are you won't survive. You'll probably be horribly tortured and gruesomely mutilated, before this is over. You may even lose your life. We wish you luck. You will need it.
WHAT IS YOUR GOAL?
Your ultimate quest is to discover the secret of the Waxworks and lift the curse of Ixona that plagues your family. Try to ignore the gnawing fear in your gut, the feeling of impending disaster that threatens to overwhelm you. The ghastly exhibits inside hold the key to your fate. You have to explore the intricate passages, alleys, and tunnels that make up the Waxworks. Be warned that once you enter an exhibit, the only way out is to solve the puzzle, win a terrible battle, or die a horrible death. When you complete an exhibit, you will be transported back into your Uncle Boris' wax museum, ready for your next adventure.
SEARCH FOR ITEMS!
Each exhibit contains lots of objects you can look at, pick up , and manipulate. Plaques, papers, and other objects may have something for you to read. You can use some objects like swords and knives to perform actions. An object may contain other objects. Some objects have a hidden purpose so you may have to examine things more than once and spend some time to thoroughly evaluate what they do. Even mutilated bodies may hold some secrets. So don't be too squeamish about rifling their pockets.
You can take almost anything you can touch with your pointer, except large, heavy objects, things fixed in place, and decomposing corpses. Some of the stuff is useful, some is not. For instance, you might want to grab a weapon at your earliest opportunity in case something hungry for fresh meat comes your way. Some objects combine with other objects to form a third, more useful object. Other times, you may try to use one object on another object to see if anything interesting happens. The bottom line: objects are not always what they seem at first glance.
HP (Hit Points) go up with your level but can go down when you are under attack by some nasty creature. Uncle Boris may be able to help you increase your HP if you are injured, and have the items he needs. However, If your HP reaches zero, you die and it's not a pretty sight. LEV (Level) goes up as you gain experience and as a result, you are awarded other powers which allow you to gain even more HP and thus fight fiercer, scarier opponents. EXP (Experience) increases as you explore the exhibits, solve puzzles, and kill things. When EXP reaches a certain point, your level goes up. PSY (Psychic Energy) reflects how much psychic energy you have in order to contact your Uncle Boris using the Crystal Ball. It decreases when you get hints, information about the game, or healing from Uncle Boris.
Dying a horrible death doesn't stop someone like your Uncle Boris. He's around to provide you with advice and assistance just as if he were alive. To call him, just position the pointer over the Crystal Ball and click. Only Uncle Boris knows what he had in mind when he created these exhibits so he is more than willing to communicate this information to you as you need it. For instance, if you are having trouble solving some aspect of the Waxworks, at a cost of your psychic energy, Uncle Boris can share his vast knowledge with you, help you face challenging situations, and even heal you.
Anubis, the Egyptian god of the dead, was depicted with the body of a man and the distinctive black head of a Jackal, a dog. He was connected with the mummification of the dead and the journey through the afterlife. The Underworld, the realm of Anubis, was called "Duat" and was believed to be full of terrible and great dangers. Conveniently, this is where you will have to travel in order to save your beloved princess who is held captive by the the God's high priest.
No sane individual should attempt to explore an abandoned mine as there are many dangers: bad air, cave-ins, explosives, ladders, rattlesnakes, shafts, timber, water, MUTANTS, and your twin brother who has unfortunately turned into a poisonous plant monster. Heavy gas clouds full of fungus and bacteria are growing all over the mine and you need to quickly find a solution to rescue yourself and the prisoners captured in the darkness.
Infamous murderer, Jack the Ripper, is one of English's most notorious unsolved mysteries. From August 7 to September 10 in 1888, "Jack the Ripper" terrorized the White Chapel district in London's East End. He killed at least five prostitutes and mutilated their bodies in an unusual manner, indicating that the killer had a knowledge of human anatomy. Jack the Ripper was never captured, and remains one of England's, and the world's, most infamous criminals.
As a Jack's twin, you are in tough position. People are mistaking you for the real ripper and you need to avoid bloodthirsty chasing crowds and local police officers in the streets!
The abandoned cemetery hides lots of secrets about murders, rituals, dark magic, satanism, freaks, creatures, the undead and victims that are whispering in the dark. Is there a Lord who can save their souls from suffering? Is there an Evil being that imprisoned them?
Your twin Vladimir is the necromancer who keeps the dead alive against their will and uses them for his sadistic pleasures. All Zombies in the Graveyard are former living beings that tried to stop Vladimir, but failed. You have to find Vladimir and release their soul.
Between the years 1500 and 1660, up to 80,000 suspected witches were put to death in Europe. Around 80 percent of them were women thought to be in cahoots with the Devil and filled with lust. Germany had the highest witchcraft execution rate, while Ireland had the lowest.
To kill the evil Witch Ixona, the wax museum takes you back to the 16th Century. She lives in the dark forest surrounded by heads of her victims and animal immolation. Thick stench of dead meat is dragged for miles and your powers are limited by her protective spells.
SUCCESS OF THE ORIGINAL GAME
NEW REMASTERED CHARACTERS, ENVIRONMENTS, PROPS...
STRETCH GOALS DESCRIPTION
- 80 000$ > The Museum level is about 80% done, that includes a museum building, the forest, 1 character, 3 exhibits, animations, sounds, and music. The Mine level is about 65% done, that includes 5 characters, 15 props/items, 3D User Interface (partially), AI system (partially), Fighting System, melee weapons, physics, Music/Sfx. Museum & Mine levels maps are completely build up with lighting and a dark atmosphere. The Mine also has oil lamps that can be refilled from other lamps, but you must be careful, once you take an oil out, the lamp runs off and the mine gets darker...even more features are coming...
- 170 000$ > The Graveyard is going to have a big level map with multiple grave variations and statues, also, additional crypts will be added to find more melee weapons and items for crafting. There is going to be 10 creepy characters, secret rooms, potions etc. The level is lighted by moon light but is still a very dark, ivy covered place, and you will have to find a lamp to help you run through the level. Auto mini-map will include labels of important places and will be uncovered as you go through the level. You can also enlarge the map.
- 250 000$ > Jack the Ripper is the most difficult level to make in this game. The player has to find and craft items, go through many strange houses, visit lots of weird people, and avoid a blood thirsty crowd that can jump on you from every corner. The town is large and the real Jack the Ripper keeps killing "innocent" girls in the meantime, and people are getting more scared and stressed out. There are not many weapons to find, it is more about stealth and skills. We are also adding lots of physics into all levels to make this game more interactive. Physics will be used in puzzles, opening boxes and doors, throwing objects etc. If we reach this financial goal, we will also create a new enemy body parts system that lets you rip the creature apart piece by piece. If you cut his/her arms first, it might save your life.
- 345 000$ > The Pyramid is the largest level in this game with many floors. This level is going to have many melee weapons, crafting items, and a variety of creatures such insects, spiders, snakes as well as humans. Lots of levers and buttons will be hidden on the walls in addition to poisonous spears, deadly puzzles, trapdoors, gases and more. We will also add more melee weapons to the other levels and each weapon will have a different strength,which you can update by crafting, that increases the player's EXP and helps you kill creatures faster overall. Once you finish one of the exhibits, your player stats stay with you and you can use them to your advantage in another level. However, you will have to decide wisely how high your stats need to be for each exhibit to make your life easier. We will also add more items to each level to expand the crafting.
- 460 000$ > Reaching this goal allows us to add a brand new level. Ixona's world is a dark, enchanted forest full of ghosts, haunted places, dead bodies, bloody spears, voodoo items, and a demonic atmosphere. She does black magic, tortures humans souls, and creates protective shields just to protect herself from witch hunters. You will have to find her cottage, get inside and find out how to get rid of the curse. We will also make the famous player's death variations! This is a big challenge, but it has been a significant feature of the original Waxworks game and this budget will cover the development. We will add brand new objectives to each level to have the option to follow the main goal or spend more time on secondary goals that increase your player's stats as well. Additionally, there will be several historical events that you will have to solve.
- 600 000$ > Full game optimization, testing and release for Xbox One and PS4.
- 750 000$ > Virtual Reality is our every day cup of tea and we would like to bring it to you as well. This financial goal will also cover the Voice Overs for a full game.
- 750 000 + > More money helps us create orchestral music, come to Expo, and hire more people to the team to speed up the development and most importantly, we will be able to work on other future projects!
WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?
Went2Play signed the license agreement with Horror soft / Adventure Soft company to develop this legendary horror game and take you to the world of Waxworks one more time.
We are a small and independent team of video game developers who want to bring classic titles to a new generation! All team members are skillful game developers with much experience in the video game industry. Most of us have worked together in the past and we are planning to add about 10 more people into the team.
Our team members worked for companies like 2K Games, Bohemia Software, Illusion Softworks, Future Games, Autumn Moon Entertainment, High Voltage Software, ID Software, THQ, EA and worked on games such as Wings of War, The Legend: King's Legacy 2, The Vampire Story 2, Heroes ,The Conduit, Astroboy, Ironman 2, Nickelodeon games, Rogue Racing, Zombies!!!, Fortify SE, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis Special Edition, Stranger Things : The Game, Day of Infamy, Onward, Shadowgate, Lifeless Planet, Insurgency, Carnivroes Reborn, Takedown: Red Sabre, Evochron Mercenary, Orcs and Elves 1 and 2.
Special Edition is a definition of something new and we are going to make it really special. To make new Music & SFX and Artworks is a standard today, but we are also updating the storyline, gameplays and addons to create a new experience along with the classic 1992 Waxworks version.
CORE TEAM MEMBERS
- Creative Director / 3D Artist - Patrik Spacek -the founder of Went2Play with a great passion for video games and horror films. With over 20 years of experiences in the video game industry, he created 2D/3D assets & animations for over 15 games. He is a huge fan of classic adventure games, project lead and artist on fans project Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis Special Edition, skillful Unreal Engine Artist and level designer. Patrik's latest interview were featured in The Art of Point&Click adventure games book.
- Concept Artist - Eugene Negri - concept designer, illustrator, matter, and storyboard artist, with 11 years of experience; working in the game development, film, and experience design industries. He's worked on several award winning projects such as Call of Duty Black Ops 2, which boasts the 2nd highest grossing entertainment launch of all time. He has also worked on the THEA award winning Transformers the Ride 3D for Universal Studios, and the first ever Marvel themed attraction in a Disney themed park, Iron Man Experience. Eugene has worked with several top studios including Universal, Walt Disney Imagineering, Treyarch Activision, ILM, Pixar, Marvel, and Microsoft, among many others.
- Programmer / Designer - Wes Avery - Graduated from Southern Polytechnic with a bachelors in Computer Game Design and Development. Worked at CN2 in Atlanta for a year developing AR experiences. Currently been at Indigo Studios for two years developing VR experiences in Unreal Engine 4 and Unity3D.
- Programmer / Writer / Designer - Yakir Israel - writer, game designer and programmer, with 10 years of experience, working in the game development, film and 3d simulations industries. He's worked on 'Indiana Jones and Fate of Atlantis Special Edition' fans project and 'Plot of The Druid', a new point and click adventure game which is still in development. Yakir works in the film and advertisement studios on several virtual reality projects including: Teaser for the upcoming movie Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, Chester the Cheetah live entertainment which took place in 'The Spotted Cheetah' restaurant,NY User experience for BMW customers, Oscars red carpet experience and more. At the beginning of his career, Yakir serves as a Real Time embedded software engineer working with top Hi-Tech companies including Hewlett Packard and Motorola Solutions among many others.
- 3D Character Artist - Michaela Hybelova - is a 3D artist focused on character and creature design. During her 2 years in the industry, she's been a part of several projects in both game and commercial development. She is currently studying visual effects at Academy of Performing Arts in Slovakia. Michaela artworks has been posted in 3D World #221, #218 and 3D Total.
- 3D Character & Environment Artist - Chris Mclaughlin - hatched from a charred and blackened egg found deep beneath the Earth's crust. Since then he has lived behind a computer screen as a 3D Artist, making character and environment art for different indie games and full productions including several seasons of Archer.
- Composer / SFX - Rich Douglas - an avid gamer, retro gamer, VR advocate, film geek, and full time freelance composer with over 15 years of game audio and music experience. I graduated from The Guildhall at SMU in 2005 with a focus in level design. I was hired by Id Software as a sound designer / composer / level designer.
- Sound designer - Rafael Ruiz - an audio artist committed since 2016 to all aspects of Game Audio Design and Music Production, as well as film and other media. Whether the project calls for Special Sound Effects, Foley Sounds, realistic or designed Ambiences/Soundscapes, Music Scoring or Voice Over production, I will take care of your audio needs with a personal touch, to give each project it's own voice, it's own identity.
We have decided to use Unreal Engine 4 to run our game. UE4 is a high-end engine that supports all platforms which allows us to fully focus on the game. Yakir Israel and Wes Avery are advanced programmers have been using UE4 for years. Patrik Spacek with Chris McLaughlin are senior artists with a great knowledge of Unreal Engine art system.
We are building FPS Action Adventure game that is developed from scratch with lots of custom codes, 3D User Interface, dialogues, clothing, melee combats, item physics and more.
If we reach our desired goals, we will make Early Access to the game on PC first and other platforms will be supported based on the sales.
Went2Play signed a license agreement with HorrorSoft/Adventure Soft to extend the contract if Went2Play obtains financial support for the full game development and that's why we are here and we need your help.
Kickstarter is the best platform for Independent developers that wants to bring great projects to life without a publisher, but it doesn't really make it easier or less responsible. The Went2Play team already put lots of its own money into this project, but it is still far from the full game. Waxworks is a big project that require lots of attention to story, design, art&animations, dialogues, voice overs, packaging, marketing and require the fans' support.
We are making a new version of Waxworks for all the fans of the horror genre. We are building a family here that has strong opinions and freedom in the development process. If you are not happy, we are not happy...we are listening to your requests very carefully and updating our design to your vision. As senior developers, we know we cannot make this game perfect, but with your support we can reach desired quality and release the game in a good stage.
Kickstarter is the best place for building a community, posting updates, listening to your comments, and bringing you all the information you need about development progress.
Risks and challenges
Developing an video game is always a very time-consuming challenge with a huge collaborating effort and responsibility. We must meet expectations, create high quality product, listen to our supporters, deliver all rewards, fulfilled promises and so on.
Ambitious projects are always expensive, sometimes require large team. We don't have any investors that could help us.
Each level cost approx. 50 000$ (net). Its very low budget for such a FPS game and we had to set up a flat-rates agreements to safely and successfully accomplish this project.
Unfortunately, If we won't reach desire budget for each level, we won't be able to continue on this project.
What that means? It means, that we have to wait till we obtain financial support to start work on new update again. Please, help us and step into the museum of Waxworks.
- (60 days)