Water Wings is a fully illustrated musical storybook experience with an immersive musical accompaniment and narrative. Fun for children and adults alike! The story is dedicated to you! To help rebuild after disasters and to help navigate and make sense in times of great change.
The music is performed by world renowned musicians including members of Elephant Revival, The Super Saturated Sugar Strings, Xerephine, the Front Range Strings, and Bluesman Guy Davis. And illustrated by artist, Katherine Breen. Written, Directed & Narrated by Gah-bé (Gabriel Vanaver)
* WAYS IN WHICH TO ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE!
- Enjoy this audio-play musical in the car, as your child turns the pages.
- Read it to your kids, with or without the music: in the morning or before bedtime.
- Learn the music and sing the story to your friends and family.
- Enjoy it all together snuggled up on the couch; listening and turning the pages as a family, letting the music and pictures take you on a beautiful and marvelous adventure.
* What we are producing in this Kickstarter:
- A fully illustrated 32 page hardcover story book
- Musical accompaniment with an all-star cast
- Original Prints of the Illustrations
- Music Book - Sheet music booklet with chords and Vocal melody
* What you are making possible by contributing to this project is:
- Illustration costs
- Recording & mixing studio time
- Production costs - Editing, Assembly & Design
- Pressing & Publishing
- Supporting the arts and this positive message
** Other benefits include:
- Engaging multimedia, without the screen time!
- Beautiful relevant story to read with your kids, sharing quality time.
- Get your holiday shopping done early! Water Wings will make great gifts! Once this project is funded, we can send it to the press, and ship it to you July 2019!
- Hand your child the book, press play, and you just bought yourself a half-hour break!
- More immersive engaging than just a story book, because it comes with a soundtrack you and your kids will love.
- Story is significant to natural disasters - help kids understand, integrate and process natural disasters, together.
- An opportunity to step back and look at life in a different perspective.
- Positive message for you and your little ones.
- Quality music that everyone in the family can enjoy!
~Unlike most children’s music, this soundtrack is full of melodies intriguing for audiences young and old. The beautiful illustrations are exciting, yet soft and serene; bringing the readers on a marvelous journey and setting them up for an enjoyably loving day or a sweet nights sleep.~
A note from our Illustrator - Katherine Breen
“I was drawn to this project, not just because it's a really sweet story, but because I thought it would be so fun and challenging to depict the complex, ever-changing world that the characters move through. It's like almost every page is it's own universe, with so much depth and detail. I feel like I discover something new about this world with each drawing, and it's like I'm also growing and changing and adapting to obstacles along with the main character. I hope our readers have as much fun exploring the books visual environment as I have creating it!”
How Water Wings Came to Be - by Gah-bé (Gabriel Vanaver)
Growing up in a household of world folk music and dance, I was able to witness the incredible power of storytelling. I resonated with the sounds, movement and intricate beauty that lived within this unique art. This further influenced my dreams, and the way I communicated with the world around me, as I felt myself drift away into the endless journey of epic story tales. From Dr. Seuss's- “The Lorax”, and “The Sneetches”, to Chris Van Allsburg's - “Jumanji”, there were many wonderful adventures to dive deep into.
What I noticed was that, as they transported me to these otherworldly places, I seemingly also faced many life questions. This wonder and curiosity inspired a great creative spark within my own personal journey.
As my skills and love for music grew in my younger years, i began to write songs and poetry. I was always writing from a place of figuring out the world and making sense of it all.
When hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast. I was struck by the hurt and hopelessness I witnessed on the news. The government wasn't equipped to deal with this sort of disaster. I saw people pointing the finger on this broken system.
The government did not have the power to help all of the people affected. I thought, How can we, as a people, feel empowered to rebuild after such a disaster? How can we gain the self-efficacy to rise from the rubble? There weren’t many clear answers. I felt this question felt important and needed attention inter-generationally.
When we look at these natural disasters, how can we respond with empathy and compassion for everyone dealing with these difficulties? More importantly, how can we explain these problems to our children? and how can we properly prepare our generations to come?
Looking back upon my own life and how my morals, integrity and strength have emerged, I knew I had to write an empowering children’s book. And so the story of Water Wings was born.
Over the years I wrote several drafts, reconstructing and redesigning the story. I explored the art of rhyming, similar to the style of a Dr. Suess novel, and then leaned towards the format of a short-story. Though, as my life turned toward songwriting, I decided to revisit this story in song form.
With great support from my illustrator, Katherine Breen, as well as our team of musical extraordinaires with the Elephant Collective, this project has been touched by true talent.
I can finally say, the story of Water Wings, is ready to be shared with the world.
~ Thank you for supporting my dream and this project. I appreciate your contribution and spreading this positive message to the future generations ~
Music is so important to a developing mind. It ignites every area of the brain enforcing creativity and confidence. Reading and hearing stories can teach many values in life and help influence and illuminate one’s path and direction in life.
Fusing music with the story makes Water Wings unique among children’s literature. And with this amazing cast of singers and musicians you are in for an unforgettable experience.
If music has made an enormous impact on your life, This is a wonderful opportunity to share that same love of music with your kids, or any other young people in your life.
Music and storytelling are some of the most powerful ways to connect to our collective consciousness. Creating this synergy between story and music we open our mind up to a deeper more impactful understanding of togetherness. Plus it makes us feel good! Get your copy of Water Wings today and bring joy and inspiration to yourself and the young people in your life. Together we can make the world a better place one story-time at a time.
Risks and challenges
I waited to run this Kickstarter because I wanted to make sure I could pull it off in the best and most professional way. I have scraped by for two years, and now I finally am confident that with this final push we can pull this off. We are in the home stretch!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)