This will be the best way to enjoy audio in the pool. After years banging our head against the wall trying to help our swimmers get those fiddly in-ear buds to stay in and not get waterlogged we’ve decided to sidestep the ears altogether. We’ve developed the most durable Waterproof Bone Conduction Headphones ever. They’re completely waterproof, one size fits all, plug and play, ticket to your best swim with music experience ever.
During our successful Kickstarter campaign to bring the Waterfi Swimcast to life, many of our backers asked us to also bring bone conduction technology to the pool. They were looking for an alternative to using the in-ear buds that needed to have just the right size tip, and just the right angle, and just the right amount of headphone goop.
With our special silicone molding technique making these special headphones ourselves was suddenly very possible. Bone conduction technology is a great fit for swimmers. Instead of using the ear canal to send music to your inner ear, it takes a shortcut through your cheek and jaw bones and also will sound even better underwater!
THE MOST DURABLE WATERPROOF HEADPHONES
Fully enclosed in our special soft silicone, the Waterfi Waterproof Bone Conduction Headphones will go deeper underwater than any waterproof earbud. The material will also protect the components against drops, shocks, snow, salt water, hot water, dirt, mud, but probably not fire. Don’t take these in a fire.
ONE SIZE FITS IMMEDIATELY
There are no extra tips included because there are no tips needed. Right out of the package you can slip these Waterproof Headphones under your goggle strap and dive in. No experimentation with different sizes, or jostling around trying to get them to sit correctly. The soft silicone sits securely just in front of your ear so you can swim for hours without getting that painful ear cramp that comes with having your canal jammed full of earbuds.
CUTTING EDGE CONDUCTION TECHNOLOGY
While creating this new set of Waterproof Bone Conduction Headphones for swimmers, our design and engineering team innovated in a lot of areas. They surrounded the speakers with a second material for added comfort and also to help pump up the volume.
PLAYS WELL WITH OTHERS
There are a few options for waterproof audio and we wanted our new Waterproof Bone Conduction Headphones to work with all of them, so we built them with a gold plated 3.5mm headphone jack. You can use any waterproof MP3 player, waterproof iPod Shuffle, waterproof phone, though we would suggest you go ahead and pair it with the Waterfi Swimcast.
BATTERY LIFE FOR DAYS
When swimming with music and podcasts you may have found that that hour in the pool turns into 2 hours, 3 hours, maybe even 4 hours. We wanted to make sure these Waterproof Bone Conduction Headphones will never be the reason you have to take your pruny fingers to the locker room and go home, so we included a rechargeable battery that will last over 25 hours before needing to be recharged. You can listen to every song in the Beatles catalog 3 times over before needing to grab your USB charging cord.
We're ready to begin making small batches of the Waterproof Bone Conduction Headphones at our HQ in San Diego. To really begin getting these out to the pool will require some extra tooling and set up costs with a local manufacturer. With your help we can realize the dream of the most durable, hassle free waterproof headphones ever made.
Founded in sunny San Diego in 2010 by Engineer Royce Nicholas, Waterfi has always been passionate about achieving the impossible: making your favorite gadgets work underwater! Waterfi is a tight-knit, 10 person company in the trendy North Park neighborhood which has spent the last seven years designing and manufacturing the best waterproof products and processes.
Risks and challenges
At this stage of our project, we have:
• Built a working prototype
• Tested Bone Conduction Prototype while swimming laps and doing flip turns
• Designed the electronics & hardware
• Produced products in the past that will use the same in-house manufacturing equipment and suppliers (including the Waterfi Swimcast)
• Produced almost 200,000 waterproof devices over the last seven years, proving we can produce high-quality electronics for swimmers.
Due to the above, we see limited risks associated with our project,
however, we do think it’s worth noting the following:
1. Manufacturing challenges. We’ve created a lot of different waterproof devices here in our San Diego shop though these will be our first headphones. We learned a lot about sourcing components and in house manufacturing preparing the Swimcast for launch which we believe puts us in a good position to execute this plan to create these Waterproof Bone Conduction Headphones.
2. Unforeseen circumstances. We can’t predict the future, so it’s silly to think we know what all of the potential delays could be. Because we have a small team, illness, injury, and other “Acts of God,” could slow us down at any point. We hope we don’t run to any of these, and our years of experience overcoming unforeseen circumstances like these give us confidence we can stay on schedule and make these headphones a reality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)