The $10 Backer Reward now includes --BOTH-- stories, and not either/or. Please enjoy, and tell the world about this new, improved version of this backer reward!!
What's This All About?
This Kickstarter project is all about getting a quality comic book on the shelves and into your hands. But, it's more than that: it's the culmination of over a decade's worth of work: writing, designing, developing... All leading up to this day.
Who Is "WatchGuard"? Teen Force 5?
WatchGuard & Teen Force 5 are two separate entities residing in the same universe, which I call the WatchGuard Universe, or WGU, but they reside at different times. WatchGuard, the focal point of the stories I have to tell, exist today. And so, their stories will be more modern, reflecting the world around them. Teen Force 5 on the other hand, existed before WatchGuard, roughly in what would be our 1990s era. As such, TF5's stories are more 'retro', harkening back to a time that seemed simpler to us, and to them.
What Can I Expect From The Story?
Well, there are two stories being told, as you've probably deduced already. One story focuses on the developments leading up to the formation of WatchGuard, so it's essentially the origin story. It's filled with plenty of action, so don't worry that the origin will slow down the pace any!
The Teen Force 5 story is kind of an origin, but not really. We're introduced to the team, minus two, and we'll eventually have these latter two join up. They will go from Teen Force, to Teen Force 5 and stay that way until they retire altogether from superheroics. So, call it an origin story if you will, but it's just another tale in the middle of many I have stored in my head for these guys! :)
2 Teams! 2 Eras! 2 Pilot Stories! 44 Pages! ONE comic book!!
BOTH the WatchGuard -and- the Teen Force 5 pilot stories will be told as independent adventures, but in one, double-sized, massive comic book! The comic book will feature two covers ('front' and 'back'), each representing the beginning of each story. The WatchGuard story will feature the WatchGuard cover, and the Teen Force 5 story will feature the Teen Force 5 cover, all in 'flip book' style (á la Youngblood #1, c.1994) -- so you'll know where to start reading! :)
Still confused? Please drop me a note and ask away!
Who's The Creative Team Behind All This?
For starters, there's me: Charlie. I self-published my first project, The WatchGuard Sourcebook, back in 2011 and wrote nearly the entire book. Gaming adventures were added by DT Butchino, an experienced writer for gaming supplements, and edits were by author V.V. Wedding. So, I'll be your Writer.
As for art, well, sit down for this!
On the WatchGuard story we have the dynamic artist Andy Smith, who's lines have graced books such as: Green Lantern, X-Men, DC Comics: WWIII, X-O Manowar, The First (from CrossGen), Batman, Armor X, and more. His clients include Marvel, DC, Image, Wildstorm, Advent Comics, Ominous Press, Dynamite Entertainment, Green Ronin Publishing, and more. Andy is a pro with more than two decades experience in the comic book world!
Joining Andy will be Andrew Dalhouse on colors. Andrew has colored JLA, Teen Titans, Irredeemable, Anita Blake and more!
As for the Teen Force 5 story, we'll have penciler extraordinaire Kevin Sharpe! Kevin has drawn everything from the Legion of Superheroes, to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, and on into Nova (Marvel Comics)!
Joining Kevin will be inker Diana Greenhalgh, who worked over his lines previously on Nova #25 and an as-yet unreleased mini-series from Image Comics.
Rounding out the art for TF5 is colorist Eddy Swan. Eddy's clients include several independent publishers, including Zenescope. His previous work on the WatchGuard Sourcebook was so stellar, we decided he's a keeper!!
Ok, Cool! So, What's This Funding Going To Do?
All funding will go into the latter portions of the creation of this book, to include, but not be limited to the publishing fees, printing fees, promotional materials, and possibly distribution fees. The intent is submitting this project to Image Comics, but that will come after this Kickstarter is completed.
Ideally, we'll be able to take this to the next level and begin production on a mini-series for one (both?) properties. That's the point behind the "pilot" issues anyway, right?
So, go! Vote with your mouse by clicking "Back This Project", and enjoy your rewards!!
Reward Achievements to Unlock!
In addition to the regular rewards listed to the right, as we progress successfully toward our goal, you'll be able to unlock new rewards! For example:
• UNLOCKED!! Achieve $1000 in funding: Unlock a unique, one-of-a-kind pinup drawn by Diana Greenhalgh. Fully penciled, inked and on comic book artboard. Female character of *your* choosing! (No nudity, please.) This will be a $200 reward level.
• UNLOCKED!! Achieve $2000 in funding: Unlock a unique, one-of-a-kind pinup penciled by Kevin Sharpe & inked by Diana Greenhalgh. Fully penciled, inked and on comic book artboard. Any character of *your* choosing! (No nudity, please.) This will be a $500 reward level.
• UNLOCKED!! Achieve $2500 in funding: Unlock a unique, one-of-a-kind pinup penciled by Carlos Gomez & inked by Diana Greenhalgh. Fully penciled, inked and on comic book artboard. Any character of *your* choosing! (No nudity, please.) This will be a $750 reward level.
• UNLOCKED!! Achieve $3000 in funding: Unlock the Sentinel Statue! Sentinel, our star-spangled tactician, will be featured in a 8" resin mini-statue, and you can be the first person to own one! Fully-painted, and ready for display! This will be a $2000 reward level. LIMITED TO ONE BACKER.
• UNLOCKED!! RETAILER REWARD! If we achieve $3500 in funding: One retailer gets an exclusive set of (10) Retailer Incentive Cover issues, plus a release day autograph signing by writer/creator Charlie McElvy. This will be a $500 reward level. LIMITED TO ONE RETAIL BACKER.
Sentinel Statue, Work-In-Progress
- (30 days)