Beholder - A dystopian simulation with moral choice
Beholder - A dystopian simulation with moral choice
"Beholder" is a simulation of the life of an ordinary human being at the frightening dystopian World where State controls your life!
"Beholder" is a simulation of the life of an ordinary human being at the frightening dystopian World where State controls your life! Read more
"Beholder" is a simulation of the life of an ordinary human being within a frightening dystopian world in which the State controls the actions of every citizen, including your character.
You play as the State-installed manager of a busy apartment complex. Your main task is to spy on your tenants. In other words, peeping on people and eavesdropping are your job! This entails entering the dwellings of your tenants while they're gone, installing hidden surveillance equipment, and searching their rooms for anything that threatens the authority of the State.
You must watch your tenants closely, listen to their conversations, and collect the information you need for putting together a dossier on each one.
You must not only invade the privacy of your tenants, you must also track their loyalty to the State, suppress illegal activities, and embed in those you oversee the mindset the government desires. You must also ensure the well-being and comfort of your residents. After all, happy and well-fed people violate fewer laws, right?
Despite being a small screw in the vast and ruthless machinations of the State, you will always have a choice between being a diligent but thoughtless executor of the will of the government, or risking it all and remaining a human capable of sympathy and compassion.
You will face many decisions as you go about your job. For example, will you report the illegal activities of the father of a large family, knowing you'll leave his children without a breadwinner? Or will you take pity on him and give him a chance to make things right? Then again, you could blackmail him and obtain the money YOUR family needs. You could also make life in his apartment so miserable, he moves and becomes someone else's problem. The decisions you make will shape each person's fate.
Making choices that affect the lives of people you don't know might sound easy, but would you make the same decisions if the violator were a member of YOUR family?
"Beholder" is story-driven. We plan to have several branching quests, each of which will have its own ending. For example, you could fight evil (the State), and help the leader of the revolution undermine the government. Or you could align with evil and eliminate everyone who hates the State. The path you choose will be based on your moral choice. Just make sure you can complete the quest without dying or being arrested.
Will you accept the position of manager, or remain one of the faceless masses at the mercy of the ultimate authority? The State awaits your answer.
- Grim dystopian world. "Beholder" will be set within a grim dystopian world, where an atmosphere of absolute control and total State surveillance weighs heavy in the air. Anyone can be an enemy of the ruling authority. Neither adults, nor the elderly, nor kids are safe.
- Total surveillance. You will have to spy on the homes of your residents. Different types of surveillance cameras (ranging from simple cameras with a small viewing angle to large-format night vision cameras with recording functions), and tapping devices will be at your disposal. Frequent searches of each apartment will enable you to find evidence that proves someone's guilt.
- State control. Every day, the State will publish mandatory directives. As the manager of the apartment, you are responsible for monitoring whether or not the people living under your roof are following these orders. If someone refuses to comply, he or she could be charged with aiding the enemy and shot. What's prohibited today? Books, topics of conversation, household items, and luxuries? Everything that's legal today could be banned tomorrow.
- Accusations. A bureaucratic state requires constant paperwork characterizing each occupant and providing reports about their behavior and conversations. If you can prove someone has violated the law, the tenant will be arrested and punished.
- Collecting information. By searching the apartments of your tenants, you'll find information about their personalities and private lives, and put together a detailed dossier of every resident. A clean-cut math professor might be a violent choleric who attacks his neighbors, while a friendly baker might be turning customers against the State behind your back.
- Moral choice. You will decide what to do with the information you collect. For example, you could follow the letter of the law and make an official dossier that results in the punishment of the violator. But this is not your only option, as you could also protect your tenants from inspections and arrests and still make a profit by blackmailing those who violate the law. But will writing an accusation be easy when the offender is a member of your family?
- Unique heroes. "Beholder" features over 30 unique heroes, each with his or her own story, personality, hobbies, and animations. Also, the behavior of the tenants changes depending on in-game events as well as the decisions you make.
- Black market. The shelves in the State stores were emptied long ago, so in order to buy something worthwhile, one has to pull strings. The tenants have different jobs, and can therefore provide you with access to various goods. Alas, only those with pull can buy them.
- Interaction with residents. The player has eight apartments to rent plus a kitchen and a laundry room. The premises must be kept in good order, repaired on time, and upgraded in order to house wealthier residents and receive more income. The player should talk to every person, get to know their anxieties and complaints, find out what's new in their lives, and give them gifts in order to secure their trust. The better the tenant treats you, the more he or she can prove to be useful by reporting necessary information, selling unique items, and sharing their life story. If a tenant's trust level is critically low, he or she might start fighting.
- Different game strategies. There are different ways of achieving a goal. By changing your style of play, you can establish a trusting relationship with a resident and gain access to new goods. Or you could put together a detailed dossier and then acquire these goods by means of blackmail. Finally, you could try stealing the goods without regard for the consequences.
- A flexible plot. The outcome of the main story and every available side story will depend on you. Every decision you make will influence the direction the story takes. You can experience up to ten different game endings by choosing different strategies. Will the resistance win? Will the State increase its authority? Will the values of the residents change? Will you be sent to prison? Will your family survive?
We plan to release "Beholder" on the PC and Mac via Steam by early fall. We might also release it via other channels that distribute downloadable games.
The Android, iOs, and Windows Phone platforms are optional at the moment. One of our budgetary goals is to acquire funding for porting the game to different platforms while making the new versions as close to the PC and MAC release as possible.
Founded in Siberia in 2015, Warm Lamp Games is a studio made up of experienced video game developers. Each member has many years of experience of creating well-reviewed, top-selling games for the casual market. Currently, the team includes 11 tried-and-true professionals united by the idea of developing a dream project.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/394680/ - Mountain Crime: The Requital
http://store.steampowered.com/app/398630/ - Twisted Lands series
http://store.steampowered.com/app/361930/ - Farm Frenzy: Hurricane Season
And many more.
- Finishing and polishing the PC and MAC versions. This will require about $20,000 and two months of development (50% artwork and 50% coding).
- Porting "Beholder" to the iOs, Android, and Windows Mobile platforms. This will require about $5,000 and one month of development after final game is ready.
In a nutshell, the money we receive will be spent on one thing: finishing the game! That's all we need to be ready to present it to you and gather your thoughts on what else you'd like to see (such as a DLC or an update)!
You'll receive a free Steam key when game is launched.
You'll receive a free Steam key when "Beholder" is launched and we'll add your name to the game's credits (the special section with our thanks to all of our backers 15+).
"Beholder" contains a number of State prohibitions. You may choose any one of them and sign your name on it. We can even add a short description to it (e.g., you don't like red socks, so the State banned red socks). You'll also receive a copy of the game and your name in the credits.
We will add your name to the description of a spy device. For example: "Made by [your name]'s factory in 1962." You'll also receive a copy of the game and your name in the credits.
Do you want two copies of "Beholder?" No problem! We'll also add wallpapers to your cart and include your name in the credits!
Do the walls in "Beholder" look boring? Why not to add your nickname to them - like street graffiti? You'll also receive a copy of the game and your name in the credits.
"Beholder" contains tons of items. Would you like to see your signature on one of them? Imagine a novel cover that says "Written by [your name]!" You'll also receive a copy of the game, your name in the credits, and free wallpapers.
Do you want four copies of "Beholder?" No problem! We'll also add wallpapers to your cart and include your name in the credits!
A lot of people live in the big apartment building of which you are in charge. Why not invent custom NPC names? You'll also receive a copy of the game, your name in the credits, and free wallpapers.
There's a black market dealer in "Beholder." You'll get to decide what his name is! You'll also receive three copies of the game, your name in the credits, and free wallpapers.
We'll create a custom NPC that looks like you (based on your photo and adapted to the game's artistic style)! You'll also receive three copies of the game, your name in the credits, and free wallpapers.
There's a bus stop near the house, and every NPC uses it on a daily basis. Do you want to name the bus stop? We can do it! You'll also receive three copies of the game, your name in the credits, and free wallpapers.
There will be a banner with your image (adapted to the game's artistic style) on the bus relaying specific information about you. For example, it might be a note announcing that your character just won the lottery! You would be able to use this information after you see it. You'll also receive three copies of the game, your name in the credits, and free wallpapers.
Newspapers are a great way to obtain the latest information. We'll offer you the ability to customize several newspaper articles. Each notice will pertain to a particular character, and you could be that character! All we would need is your photo, which we would adapt to the game's artistic style. You'll also receive three copies of the game, your name in the credits, and free wallpapers.
"Beholder" will have several story-specific characters. You could become one of these characters! Just send us your photo, and we'll adapt it to the game's artistic style. This perk comes with a Golden Edition box containing stickers, a T-shirt, a ball cap, and exclusive banners! You'll also receive three copies of the game, your name in the credits, and free wallpapers.
The State is afraid of the word "revolution." You could become the leader of the resistance! Just send us your photo, and we'll adapt it to the game's artistic style. This perk come with a Golden Edition box with stickers, a T-shirt, a cap, and banners inside! You'll also receive three copies of the game, your name in the credits, and free wallpapers.
This is an opportunity to name the game's main character and all of his family members! This perk come with a Golden Edition box with stickers, a T-shirt, a cap, and banners inside! You'll also receive three copies of the game, your name in the credits, and free wallpapers.
Risks and challenges
Warm Lamp Games is a new name on the market, even though we have all worked at large and well-known companies since 1999. We primarily worked on casual games like "Snark Busters," the last "Farm Frenzy" game, and other similar projects.
But that's a challenge we can overcome. We are doing this because we want to achieve our dream of creating something more hardcore than casual. We have been eating, sleeping, and living "Beholder" for 10 months! It's our baby, and we want to do our best to raise it and present it to the public!
Oh... Did we mention that each backer will receive an early demo of "Beholder" that will allow you to dive into its dystopian atmosphere and see what we've already done? Best of all, you'll receive it before we reach our budget!
Moreover, each backer will receive a copy of the game two weeks before its official launch! The Greenlight for this project is already launched!
Please, support "Beholder," and join those who are already watching us...Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)