GURPS hasn't been on Kickstarter often, but every time to date has been a success.
- September, 2016. You and over 1,500 others funded the creation of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, a boxed RPG that is Powered by GURPS! To learn about the game, please visit the official web page.
- April, 2019. Your support is what made Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 and a reprint of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game a success here on Kickstarter.
Now we're back for more!
- September, 2019. Let's do this, gang! If this campaign succeeds, we will produce Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items 2, an expansion by Sean Punch for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game.
A companion to the Magic Items portion of the Dungeon Fantasy Companion, Magic Items 2 picks up where Magic Items leaves off, presenting a collection of rare – often unique – artifacts for adventurers to loot from chests, pry from dead hands, earn as rewards, or even buy (if they’re wealthy enough). Why? Because you can never have enough treasure!
Written by Sean Punch, GURPS Line Editor and mastermind behind the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, Magic Items 2, at launch, comes in at 48 pages with 44 different magic items, each of which includes:
- Description and illustration.
- Game statistics and rules.
- Thoughts on using the item in the game.
This new book is one for GMs and players and is an incredible addition to the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game.
So that we do not overcommit and so that we dodge future challenges, we are limiting the Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items 2 campaign to a single stretch goal. If unlocked, we will expand the book to a total of 64 pages . . . all of which are already written and ready to go! By limiting the campaign to this single stretch goal, we improve our chances of delivering the project on time.
Are you new to GURPS? The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game is a perfect introduction to GURPS, a system that was first published in 1986 and is supported with hundreds of print books and many, many PDFs. To give you a better idea of what to expect from this game, we recommend the following links:
- John Booth's review of the game at Geek Dad.
- This six part review of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game at justroll3d6.com.
- blindmapmaker.wordpress.com offers up this exhaustive review of the game.
- The GURPS Lite PDF, a free introduction to the GURPS rules.
In addition to the above, you may also visit the official Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game forums and ask as many questions as you like. The forum members will do their best to answer all of your GURPS questions!
GURPS has been in print for over three decades and is on the fourth edition; the strength of the game has kept it a favorite with many gamers for years now, and we're happy to see you join in on the fun.
- Pyramid Dungeon Collection. $25. Printed book. A softcover collection of classic fantasy gaming material from the first and second volumes of Pyramid, updated to GURPS Fourth Edition and perfect for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy!
- Dungeon Fantasy Companion. $20. Printed book. The Dungeon Fantasy Companionincludes all three stretch-goal supplements (including Magic Items!) from the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Kickstarter campaign.
- How to Be a GURPS GM. $20. Printed book. GURPS! A game with infinite possibilities. Even those familiar with this award-winning system may not feel they've mastered the fundamentals . . . and those just starting with this game may feel lost amid the possibilities. You want help. You could use a guide. You need How to Be a GURPS GM.
- Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items 2. $20. Printed book. A second copy of the new Magic Items 2 book.
- Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2. $25. Printed book. One copy of the Monsters 2 book, identical to the books produced as a part of the recent Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 Kickstarter campaign.
This is only a tiny portion of what is available for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. To find even more expansions for use with the game game, please visit the official web page.
Relevant Pyramid Issues (PDFs delivered through Warehouse 23)
- Pyramid: Dungeon Fantasy Collected. $16. PDF. This compilation collects Pyramid articles which have appeared outside of the Dungeon Fantasy- and Alternate Dungeons-themed issues, but are of particular interest to Dungeon Fantasy gamers. It includes over 20 articles taken from issues 10, 13, 19, 25, 38, 43, 47, 48, 56, 58, 61, 64, 68, 70, 75, 77, 78, 80, and 82. This is a direct compilation, without updates or changes.
- Pyramid #3/98. $8. PDF. With "You All Meet at an Inn," expectations flip when the heroes find themselves desperately defending a tavern. In this issue's included bestiary, over a dozen new monsters threaten would-be treasure-hunters. Designed for the core GURPS Dungeon Fantasy supplements, most of this issue can be used with the forthcoming Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game as soon as the boxed set is cracked open. Welcome to the dungeon-fantasy experience; heroes wanted!
- Pyramid #3/104. $8. PDF. Learn the basics of the game with "Trapped in the Living Tomb" -- a complete, ready-to-play solo adventure. Make a random heroic background with David L. Pulver, or devise a complete campaign framework with a roll of the dice. With this issue, the world of dungeon-delving excitement is closer than ever!
- Pyramid #3/106. $8. PDF. Add new threats to your underground lairs with six sinister undead from Sean Punch and eight deadly traps from Christopher R. Rice. Outfit your dungeon delvers quickly and easily with ready-calculated kits of useful gear. Unimaginable treasure beckons within these pages, and adventure awaits!
- Pyramid #3/108. $8. PDF. Learn how to augment existing monsters with Dungeon Fantasy RPG designer Sean Punch, and use those methods on nine new creatures of myth and legend. Uncover the secrets of David L. Pulver's "Hydra Island," where death lurks just a soggy step away. With this issue, your tombs are stocked and adventure awaits; all that's needed is your heroes!
- Pyramid #3/118. $8. PDF. Unleash the power of your buckler by becoming a shield-bearer in the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. Explore an abandoned mine using either The Fantasy Trip or Dungeon Fantasy. With the roll of some dice, create random encounters for Dungeon Fantasy . . . or turn them into inspiration for The Fantasy Trip. With this month's Pyramid, you'll get the newest in old-school gaming!
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy (PDFs delivered through Warehouse 23)
- Pyramid Dungeon Collection. $15. PDF book. A digital collection of classic fantasy gaming material from the first and second volumes of Pyramid, updated to GURPS Fourth Edition and perfect for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy!
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting: Caverntown. $10. PDF. Dungeon Fantasy heroes see town as a place to hear rumors, buy supplies, and sell loot – but their players often want details. A settlement that serves wanderers obsessed with weapons, armor, magic, and mountains of coins won't look much like anything from Earth's Middle Ages! It'll be more interesting. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting: Caverntown presents a magical underground city a mere bowshot from the dungeon.
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 1: Mirror of the Fire Demon. $10. PDF. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 1: Mirror of the Fire Demon presents an adventure for four or more Dungeon Fantasy heroes built on 250-300 points. As rumors of the mirror's existence spread throughout the land, the heroes must race against time to defeat monsters, overcome challenges, and outwit other adventurers who want to get the ultimate prize first. The heroes need to wander the wilderness, search the sacred grotto, and find the hidden fortress to save the day. This time, getting there may be more than half the battle!
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 2: Tomb of the Dragon King. $8. PDF. Bold adventurers are recruited to retrieve a lost artifact. But the tomb wherein it dwells is crawling with lizard cultists, lurking monsters, and – of course – a few dragons. Can the delvers use their swordfighting, sneaking, and spellcasting abilities to complete their quest and get out alive? GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 2: Tomb of the Dragon King is a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy adventure designed for four to six 250-point adventurers with guidelines for adapting it to other groups. It provides maps for all key areas, a description of a new trap, and stats for several new monsters – including dragons in assorted sizes.
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 1: The Pagoda of Worlds. $5. PDF. The tavern rumors promise adventure; the beacon in the dangerous wilderness promises respite; both are correct, and both lead to an abandoned monastery. The Pagoda of Worlds is an ancient spiritual retreat holding many secrets and hazards for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy heroes . . . including the promise of a gate to other realms. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 1: The Pagoda of Worlds provides a ready-to-use detailed adventure outline, maps, new monster stats, and tips for adjusting the difficulty of events based on party size and composition. Open your mind, ready your sword, and prepare for battle; worlds await!
All of the books listed on this page will be available on BackerKit for the stated prices/each. To add any of these titles to your rewards, increase your pledge by the amount shown. In BackerKit, after the campaign closes, you will make your exact book selections.
EXAMPLE: You choose GURPS Russia ($22.95) and GURPS Japan ($22.95) and increase your pledge by $45.90. In BackerKit, after the campaign closes, you will be able to choose GURPS Russia and GURPS Japan as add-on items.
For this latest GURPS campaign, we've decided to try something new and follow the Quickstarter concept of a small, fast project that's designed around bringing you rewards as quickly as possible.
To accelerate the process on our end, we have the book ready to go and will be ready to ship quicker than if we had waited to complete the work after the project closes.
This process also limits our stretch goals; adding too much now would damage the delivery estimate. For that reason, we have only one stretch goal: More pages! See above.
Publisher's Choice Quality Stock Art copyright Rick Hershey/Fat Goblin Games. Used under license. www.fatgoblingames.com
Risks and challenges
Steve Jackson Games is an established game publisher with a successful track record and we have enough Kickstarter experience to deal with issues should they arise. The writing is complete (including the stretch goal items!), the art is ready, and the book is in the final stages of layout. Now it's time for you to tell us whether or not to complete the project. As we've done in the past, we will stay in touch with our backers during and after the Kickstarter, all the way through fulfillment of the rewards.
To improve our chances of successfully releasing the book on time, we are limiting physical rewards to U.S. backers only. In the future, after the rewards have shipped, the printed book will be made available through the Amazon print-on-demand program.
- (4 days)