The screech of steel meeting steel, the rattle of gunfire, and the pungent reek of gasoline fills the air as mechanical monstrosities battle across a rural horizon of rolling rocky hills, quaint farmsteads and horse-drawn carts. Meanwhile, the cities are technological wonders: vast skyscrapers tower over sparkling city streets as hovering public trams rattle through overflowing shopping districts and over teeming crowds. They are places of great thought and culture on the surface, but are rife with corruption, intrigue, and espionage as politicians and industrialists vie for power, and scientists steal each other’s secrets.
- 50 page PDF.
- Every $1000aud raised = +2 pages of lore/art.
- Fragged Empire setting rule adaption will be inserted into Fragged Empire: HACKED pdf.
The year is 1945. The nation-states of Cronicia are immersed in a catastrophic war that has raged on for over a decade. The formerly impassable mountain ranges that once separated the great powers of the People's Republic of Gerim and the Brashja Empire mean little when faced with Cronicia’s newest wonders, including anti-gravity parachutes and massive sky-fortress zeppelins, which can insert forces directly into tactical locations.
This war threatens to tear Cronicia apart as technology advances at an unprecedented rate, turning major cities into majestic hubs of civilization while simultaneously robbing the smaller villages and surrounding nations of their resources. The only balancing powers remaining are the Nomadic Houses, a loose confederation of people formed by the innumerable refugees forced to flee their homelands due to the countless wars fought over many centuries. Nomadic pilots turn to mercenary work as a chance to earn a living for themselves and protect their Houses from erasure.
Players will (generally) take control of one of these Nomadic mercenaries, fighting in their own private Mecha for coin, fame or lofty ideals. The Nomads, who occupy central Cronicia, are in prime locations to strike against all sides, and possibly each other.
But as the nations of Cronicia fixate on war, they overlook greater threats. News of mechanical undead horrors, known as the Hollows, flood in from the south. Clandestine reports hint at occult covens and saucer-like unidentified flying crafts. If Cronicia does not find a path towards peace and uncover the true powers fuelling the land’s endless wars, the entire continent may be doomed...
- Based on the Fragged Empire rule system (medium crunch, 3d6, classless, nonlinear progression, tactical miniatures combat, etc...). But with a new Theatre of the Mind combat system for personal combat (no miniatures and calculated stats, but with Actions and more detailed equipment rules).
- Mechs are big and clunky. Players will have to manage their mech facing, heat, ammunition and lost limbs
- Mechs combat will have a combined arms feel. With infantry, tanks, planes and other mechs.
- Download the WIP character sheet here.
Download sample Mech character sheets here.
- PDFs fulfilled via DriveThruRPG.
- If we raise 'lots' of money I might do a Print on Demand option. But this is not something that I'm currently planning on.
- Rules, setting outline and artwork by me (Wade Dyer).
- Lore writing by Fragged writing veterans and super-stars; Ryan Schoon and Stuart McNabb.
- The rules have been written, and are being playtested right now.
- The lore has been outlined and is being worked on right now.
- Why am I not doing a big fancy campaign, with large hardcover books like all of my previous Kickstarter campaigns? The answer to this is rather simple; running a refined and focused campaign like this allows me to produce high quality content at a faster rate, while keeping my development team small, and does not restrict the development of my larger projects (ie: I'm already working on 2-3 more hardcover books that I will be Kickstarting in 2019). If this campaign goes well I hope to more run more like it.
Risks and challenges
This is a VERY low-risk project, as most of the work is already done, and this PDF only campaign is solely aimed at funding the development of more setting lore.
I've produced 9 printed RPG books, and many PRG PDF booklets over the past few yearsLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (8 days)