We wanted a camera strap that wasn't covered in repeated corporate logos or bright patterns; something that was simple and didn't require constant adjusting, yet still made from high quality materials. We couldn't find what we wanted so we designed it.
Benefits of Slidestrap:
- No adjustment needed between carrying the camera and taking a photo - just slide the camera up along the strap
- Anodized aircraft-grade aluminium mounting plate slides effortlessly along the strap when required, without having to release any fasteners
- Mounting plate ensures the lens faces down to avoid accidental knocks
- Premium, soft cotton shoulder strap is comfortable to wear
- Cross-body strap evenly distributes the weight of the camera
- Slidestrap fixes to any standard 1/4"-20 camera thread and the rubber pad stops the mounting plate from slipping
Traditional camera straps either get caught up on clothing if worn across your body, bounce the camera off your chest if worn around your neck or slip off your shoulder if you're wearing a backpack or bag. Slidestrap has been designed to avoid all of these situations with a simple, effective yet stylish design.
We believe that high quality products can be affordable. That's why we have been working closely with all of our manufacturers to make sure that Slidestrap has been optimised for production without any compromise on functionality. We are also proud to say that it's made in Britain which we feel reflects the quality and attention to detail that has gone into its design.
Initially, we are able to offer Slidestrap in two different colours: a cream strap with contrast cream stitching on the brown leather; or a black strap with matched brown stitching on the brown leather. The mounting plate is black anodized aluminium and subtly branded with the VU logo so that it blends in with your camera but still looks cool on its own.
For those of you wanting a more personalised touch, we can engrave your initials onto the metal plate.
Since day 1 people have been asking about stretch goals (we like your enthusiasm!) and finally that day has come. We've taken on board your feedback and suggestions and decided upon the following stretch goals:
Stickers: We've got some small logo stickers which are great for sticking on your shutter button, phone, camera bag, wherever really! To say thanks for bringing us this far, we'll send you a couple with your strap.
At £15,000 we can introduce a new colour of strap, and we want you guys to vote on the colour of your choice. We'll manufacture the colour with the most votes (as well as the white and black straps) and have it as the Backers' Choice. You are all helping to shape our company which we love.
At the end of the campaign, we'll send you a survey to vote on which is your favourite. We'll send out a second survey after the webbing is woven for you to choose which one you would like to be sent (white/black/new colour).
Now that the project has been successfully funded, our manufacturers are ready to get production rolling as soon as we reach the end of the campaign.
At the end of the campaign there are several steps we need to take before we can ship you your finished Slidestrap:
- First of all, our strap manufacturer in West Yorkshire will set-up their looms to produce the cotton and nylon webbings.
- We will send them the real leather hides from our supplier in Glasgow, and these will be cut so that the straps can be assembled.
- It should take about 5 to 6 weeks to produce the webbing, cut the leather and assemble the first batch of straps.
- While all of this is going on, we will be getting the metal mounting plates CNC machined from aluminium and anodized which should also take about 5 to 6 weeks for the first production run.
- Finally we will bond the stamped rubber mats to the aluminium plates, attach the plates to the straps and then they are ready to be shipped to you!
All in all, we have factored in 8 weeks to produce the first run of completed straps. As we have already signed off production quality samples, we will be able to hit the ground running and get the finished units to you as soon as possible - although we will make sure they are 100% up to our high standards!
Reviews and Press
About VU Equipment
VU (pronounced view) is a new company comprised of Product Designers and Mechanical Engineers who are passionate about photography and great design. We believe in iterating our designs and cutting out any unnecessary features that don't add value or make the product better.
Risks and challenges
With any project there are risks associated, however it is our job to make sure we minimise these risks for our backers.
We are proud to say that Slidestrap is made in Britain and this means that we have selected, vetted and, where possible, visited all of the manufacturers that we are going to use. Working with these companies during the product development process means that we are 100% certain that our product can be manufactured, and to the tolerances we expect. Our manufacturers are used to producing and delivering huge orders and one of them has even been used for a few other Kickstarter campaigns, so they really know what to expect. What this means for our backers though, is that even if we far exceed our funding goal and need to produce many more units, our set-up can cater for this without any problem!
We have optimised our design for manufacture at every opportunity, and with a team of Product Designers and Mechanical Engineers behind the development of Slidestrap we are confident about bringing this product to market.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)