Board Game Cafe? What's That?
Think of your favorite cafe or pub. Now imagine it filled with over 500 board games, there for you to enjoy as you grab a drink and some food with friends. We didn't invent the concept of a board game cafe. In fact, they've been gaining popularity around the world, especially in Canada, Europe and Asia. We've modeled Victory Point Cafe after some of our favorite board game cafes and are excited to bring the concept here to the Bay Area!
Location, Location, Location!
We are conveniently located at 1797-A Shattuck Ave in Berkeley’s vibrant Gourmet Ghetto. We’re less than half a mile from the Downtown Berkeley BART station and a stone’s throw from UC Berkeley. After scouring the Bay Area for the right space, we are absolutely thrilled with this location. We love Berkeley’s eclectic vibe and look forward to adding our own unique flavor to it.
Great! When Will You Open?
We have applied for all the necessary permits and are currently in the process of renovating the space to meet our needs. We aim to open doors in August 2015 and will keep you posted!
Our Pride and Joy: The Games
Our game library includes over 500 titles, which we’ve organized into eight categories: Abstract, Trivia, Party, Word, Heavy Strategy, Light Strategy, Nostalgia, and Children's. The complete list will be up on our website soon, so check in often for updates.
Our game library may be what sets us apart, but we are equally passionate about the food and drinks that we offer. We are approaching our menu with the same attention to detail that we apply to curating our library. We are committed to serving you high quality, locally sourced, food and drinks.
Our menu will consist of:
Fresh-brewed coffee from Artis Coffee Roasters, a local small batch live roaster based in West Berkeley. We’ll have a variety of espresso drinks, hand-crafted manual drip, and automatic drip for those in a hurry.
A selection of draught and bottled beers from West Coast craft breweries.
Wines from some of our favorite California wineries.
Sweet and savory snack bowls. These housemade signature mixes will be the perfect complement to the board gaming experience.
Sandwiches, quiches and pastries from a local supplier.
Who We Are
We are Derek DeSantis and Areg Maghakian, avid board gamers and drinkers of coffee and beer. We are incredibly excited to share our hobby with the community by bringing a board game cafe to the Bay Area.
The idea popped into Derek's head over two years ago and he immediately began taking steps to write a business plan, register the name, create an online presence, and look for the needed funding. Several months later the business was discovered by Areg who was also looking into opening a board game cafe. Rather than compete, we decided to play co-op and jumped into it together. We've both left our day jobs, and Areg even moved himself and his family from Armenia back to the Bay Area, to make this dream become a reality.
Where Your Money Will Go
The majority of the funding for Victory Point Cafe is in place. We are using this campaign to raise funds to upgrade our furnishings and decor and to begin building a strong relationship with our community. We think KickStarter is a great platform to give our backers the opportunity to be involved during the early stages of our business. Beyond furnishings, any extra funds will be used for the best thing of all - more games!
- All backers of Victory Point Cafe will be listed on our website in a special thank you section.
- Rewards do not stack. If you would like multiple rewards add the full amount of the additional reward(s) to your pledge and specify which rewards you'd like.
- All physical or in-person rewards are local pickup. Merchandise can be shipped anywhere in the US for an additional shipping fee. See each reward for details.
- All rewards can be redeemed at any time unless otherwise noted.
- We will send out a survey after the campaign asking for your preference of t-shirt sizes and colors.
- $5 - "FREE" COFFEE - Enjoy one coffee beverage of your choice from our menu.
- $15 - COFFEE MUG - VPC branded coffee mug. Add $5 for shipping anywhere in the US.
- $15 - PINT GLASS - VPC branded pint glass. Add $5 for shipping anywhere in the US.
- $20 - 5 GAME LIBRARY PASSES - Receive a pass that can be used to access our game library for 5 single visits. Passes are for individual use only and do not expire.
$20 - T-SHIRT - Select one of our VPC branded T-Shirts. Click here for size chart and color options. Add $5 for shipping anywhere in the US.
- $25 - CUSTOMIZE CARDS AGAINST HUMANITY - We'll let you customize a black or white card (your choice) in one of our Cards Against Humanity sets. When you come in to write your card we will waive the library fee so you can also enjoy a day of gaming. We reserve the right to deny your card if it is too off-color.
- $25 - TOTE BAG - VPC branded tote bag. Add $5 for shipping anywhere in the US.
- $50 - COFFEE MUG, PINT GLASS, & T-SHIRT - One each of our branded coffee mug, pint glass, and t-shirt. Add $8 for shipping anywhere in the US.
- $75 - ALL THE MERCH - One each of our branded coffee mug, pint glass, t-shirt, and tote bag. Add $10 for shipping anywhere in the US.
- $100 - PLAY GAMES WITH THE OWNERS - For 2 hours you and a friend get to play any game from our library with Derek & Areg inside the cafe. The game session must be scheduled no less than 3 days in advance and occur during our soft launch phase. You'll receive an edible credit of $25 and, of course, we'll waive the library fee.
- $500 - BOARD GAME NIGHT - We will reserve a table for you and up to 7 guests for a classic board game night. Enjoy no library fees, a food and beverage credit of $100, and a VPC t-shirt for everyone in your group. Must be scheduled no less than 3 days in advance.
- $1500 - PRIVATE EVENT - You and up to 39 guests have private use of the cafe with full access to the game library for 8 hours. Your group will have a food and beverage credit of $500 and our gurus will provide personalized assistance throughout the event to make sure your entire group is having a great time. Everyone in your group will take home a VPC coffee mug or pint glass. Must be scheduled no less than 10 days in advance and cannot occur on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
We'd Love to Hear from You!Really! We are passionate about what we are doing not just because we love board games, but because we believe in the social well-being that a board game cafe can bring to the community. Whether you live in the Bay Area and can see Victory Point Cafe as a place you would hang out or you just love the idea of a board game cafe, you are a part of that community, and your opinion matters to us. You can always send us a message here or on our social media pages, Facebook or Twitter, and we will respond to you as soon as we can.
A special thank you to the following people who made this campaign possible: Aramé, Trent, Nyree, Amy, JonGetsGames, Tyler, Ara, James, Dylan, Jeremy, and the countless folks who gave their unconditional support and feedback along the way.
We'd also like to thank Artis Coffee Roasters and Hermitage Brewing Co. for providing great locations for filming.
Risks and challenges
This campaign isn’t something we launched on a whim. We've done our due diligence and taken the necessary steps to open a new business. We are confident that most risks have been mitigated. We are in the midst of starting construction as this campaign launches and as such, the most likely challenge we foresee is an unexpected delay with permitting or construction. If this occurs, the biggest downside is that it will delay - but not stop - our ability to share Victory Point Cafe with all of you.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)