Who are we?
Hi! My name is Mason Heller and I'm a recent alumnus of Voices in Your Head. This initiative stems from a group of alumni dedicated to giving back to our old a cappella group, which meant so much to us during our time at the University of Chicago.
Singing with Voices in Your Head was the source of my favorite college experiences. After rehearsing every week, competing, touring, and traveling to performances all over the country, Voices became a family for me and the others in the group. Some of my favorite memories include traveling to New York for the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCA) Finals in both 2012 and 2015, and touring the Midwest and the East Coast to perform with other incredible groups.
Voices brings so many uniquely talented people together from so many different places in order to create really meaningful music, and we want to pay it forward as they work to release their first album in five years.
Who is Voices In Your Head?
Voices in Your Head is a co-ed, student-run a cappella group consisting of undergraduate students at the University of Chicago whose areas of study are as eclectic as their musical tastes. The group’s entirely self-arranged repertoire spans a unique mix of genres including pop, rock, r&b, electronic, and alternative music as well as original compositions.
- Placed 2nd (2015) and 4th (2012) at the ICCA Finals
- Featured as RARB (A Cappella Review Board) Pick of the Year 2011, Single of the Year 2015
- Featured on BOCA (Best Of Collegiate A Cappella) 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Winner of 5 CARAs (Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards) and Nominated for 7 more in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2015 for Best Arrangements, Best Collegiate Songs, and Best Originals
- Featured on Sing 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
- Featured on Voices Only 2008-2010, 2012-2015
- Performed live in concert with Avi Kaplan from Pentatonix, 2013
What are people saying about Voices?
- "The soloists leave it all on the floor: vulnerable and wildly dramatic interpretations combine with technical fireworks and soaring high notes. And unlike so many other recent releases, the back-ups bring dynamic phrasing and unusual textures to lift each song miles above the ordinary." (2014 RARB (Recorded A Cappella Review Board) review of The Singles: In My Mind)
- "Our editor-in-chief remarked: 'My heart can't handle the 'When the lights...' section that starts at 1:03. I'm just destroyed with the beauty there.' Burn will sear into your brain for years to come." (2015 RARB review of "Burn" opb Ellie Goulding)
- And from the 2015 RARB review of the group's latest single, Heroes Listen: "Dynastic. That's the one word I need to describe the quality of this single—one word which, when applied to Voices in Your Head as a group, defines the trajectory of this ensemble over the past few years. Voices in your Head's strength over the years has been reminding us that a cappella is, ultimately, just a collection of voices. Heroes Listen is exactly the kind of single I want to hear from a group this talented—clean, bright, moving, and pure."
What should you expect from the album?
- All three songs from their 2015 ICCA Set that took 2nd Place at Finals (Show Me How You Burlesque, Heroes Listen, & Bang My Head)!
- Burn, RARB's 2014 Single of the Year, Contemporary A Cappella Recording Award (CARA) 2015 Best Mixed Collegiate Song (runner-up)
- Exciting new originals written by members of the group!
- A variety of new arrangements, including (but certainly not limited to) re-inventions of songs you already know and love!
Why do we need your help?
Unfortunately, the process of making an album is VERY expensive. Hiring the right engineers to edit, mix, and master each track costs a lot more money (~$1200 per track) than a student-run organization can afford on its own. That's why we, as alumni, are coming to YOU — our families, our friends, and fans of Voices in Your Head— and asking for your help to make this dream come true for the group.
Recording an album is one of the best ways to capture the sound of a generation, and we alums would love for the current members of the group to have the opportunity to create something that accurately represents all the hard work and creativity they've put into the last few years. We believe they truly deserve your support, and we hope you feel the same way.
Risks and challenges
As a student-run college group, Voices' biggest challenge is the funding required to cover the costs of creating this album. With recording, editing, and mixing each track, the entire cost of the project will come to around $10,000. The group receives some funding from the university and earns money through gigs and performances. However, as college students, the current members do not have the ability to do this on their own, and they need all of our help to cover the difference. By creating this Kickstarter, we, the alumni, are looking to the fans - who have been the driving force behind much of Voices' success over the past few years - to help make this goal a reality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)