Any dollar amount contributor will have early access to VU in campaign 2 and ongoing updates will be limited to backers. Your early support shall be rewarded!
VU is smart eyewear with high-design aesthetics so you and your wearable look stunning! The patent-pending transparent visor provides visual duality between your personal media and your real-world surroundings. Notifications from your phone place your SMS text messages, incoming calls, email and calendar alerts in your line of sight. Audio for calls and music will enhance the experience.
The prototype of VU is almost complete. It is all about reconfiguring current technology and components that already exist in the market. The most important component is the flexible AMOLED display. This technology already exists too, but it is rare and not integrated in consumer electronic devices yet. Therefore, I need to create a special order and your support will speak to the display manufacturers that there is market demand on a large-scale.
GET FAMILIAR WITH THE BEAUTY OF OHMD! Why avert your eyes to look down at your smart phone or smart watch? Or struggle with sun glare on your device? Optical head-mounted displays or heads-up devices bring visual media to your eyes. Mobility at its best!
VU is sleek, brilliant and sexy! Tech-xy! A fashion-forward design you truly want to wear.
I knew that heads-up devices could be designed with a dramatically different aesthetic than what is currently available to consumers. You'll be invited to join me in further designing VU to be the best looking smart eyewear on the market. You know best what you like.
My pending patent has a lot of functionality that I want to pack into VU. The first iteration of VU will have similar functionality to what some smart watches can offer. Currently, full-functionality relies on securing a flexible AMOLED to display your personal media.
For a better idea, imagine putting VU on and having the flexible AMOLED display backlit in black or white.
- Polycarbonate visor frame - virtually unbreakable and UV resistant!
- Transparent mirror finish
- Many colors and designs to be introduced!
- Audio for calls and music
- Bone conduction and earbud ports
- Flexible AMOLED to display your media
- Media = SMS Text Message
- Media = Incoming Caller ID
- Media = Calendar Alerts
- Fitness sensors
- USB charging cable
I promise to strive to make VU even more functional, based on my pending-patent, for PART 2 of the campaign. Your support now in PART 1 is critical in our collaborative success.
You will see!
We want to look good. VU was designed to be fashionably edgy and to make you look your best in a wearable. The current heads-up device market includes eyeglass apparatus and goggle-type headgear. Vilucid has injected a new and curvaceous aesthetic in the market by introducing VU.
We are all individuals with our technology. Your device should reflect you. Wear VU alone, under a baseball cap or with a ski hat. You have the flexibility to decide how much technology you reveal. Currently, VU has a silver mirrored finish. Your support and feedback will develop more aesthetics and finishes for VU.
We want optical computing. In its first iteration, VU is just a start to what we can do with optical personal computing. Where we are going is very exciting. Does your smart watch still sound great?
We want it affordable. Why not? That is the goal.
We have ideas. We know what we want. We want more. You have always known what you want, but nobody asked you. Any and all dollar contributions gives you a voice to provide feedback and suggestions during the designing and developing stages.
We can help others. A driving force behind VU is the future potential to develop smart eyewear to provide better visual acuity. If you have ever struggled to read an eye chart, you know how valuable sight is. I can speak to my own low-vision struggles and frustration. In collaboration, we can look out for each other.
- “Hands-free is awesome.”
- “It’s hard to read my phone in sunlight. I wouldn’t have that problem with VU.”
- "I want it to read my texts and messages to me!"
- “Great for trips to the gym and coffee shop without makeup on!”
- “I like how it can be hidden under my favorite baseball hat.”
- “I’m going to put stickers on it and customize it for me.”
- “This will be helpful when my hands are full with kid stuff.”
- "That's cool it's durable. The eyeglass devices look delicate."
- "if you don't have poor eyesight, you don't understand the need for tools to enhance your surroundings."
- "Thank you for being a designer who wants to develop technology with sight impairment in mind. This could help low vision navigation."
- "I can use this at work as a conference call headset."
- “I could communicate with the outfielders.”
- “That could help my golf game.”
- “Biking without a phone in my hand? I need it!”
- "I want to work out, listen to music, see texts and track my heart rate all at the same time!"
- "For fishing. You don't want to drop your phone in the water!"
- "We are already wearing hats for outdoor sports."
- "I could see race car pit crews using this device to count lapse."
- "Do it!"
- "Existing apps just need to be slightly altered for the display size."
Tell me more and I will add it to the list! Please leave a comment at the top.
Your feedback, our sense of style, my professional experience (see bio) and the engineers will create a unique product. Your funding will further research and development, sourcing components- large volume purchase, tooling and manufacturing. The first item on the priority list, is to place a special order for the flexible display.
Where are we now? The visor frame is designed and built, but full electronic functionality depends on sourcing a flexible AMOLED display. The size of the AMOLED is special. If possible, I want to do better than this and get emerging technology. Your support will tell display manufacturers that there is demand and a use for their component on a large scale.
Technology spurs technology! A laser cutter creates the flat visor shape in seconds and rasters any design!
What are the next steps?
Any dollar amount contributor will have early access to VU in campaign 2! Your early support shall be rewarded!
How we can do this together?
Where can we go with this?
If you are in the Minneapolis area, let's meet. I want to hear your feedback on wearables and design!
Every Wednesday from 7-9pm is Open House Night at the Twin Cities Makerspace Hack Factory.
I am a maker. You are a maker.
Risks and challenges
The missing component to completing the prototype is the flexible AMOLED display. A risk is finding a partnership with a display manufacturer. The solution will be to prove market demand with this campaign.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)