I've wanted to follow in my great-cousin's footsteps and build a Tarot deck for 6 years now. After spending some time with the Rider-Waite deck, I found the perfect avenue for doing this. If you've spent time with the Rider-Waite deck, you'll love this one. My deck clarifies the characters while giving deeper opinions about the contradictions inherent in every inner decision. It's very current, and very American.
Follow me on Instagram: @davidaaronsmith
I'm a painter and sculptor building a livable sculpture called Villa Anita DV on the southern tip of Death Valley in California. It's incredible! You should see it.
Before settling down to follow in the footsteps of greats like Georgia O'Keefe, Noah Purifoy, and Andrea Zittel, I traveled the United States for 3 years as an activist, religious researcher, and general rambler. I met all sorts of Americans on my journeys. My art is centered on this identity of America, and that's what you get with this card deck.
Warning: this deck may press some buttons. It features racial violence, refugees, entitled white people, and LGBT. But as an artist, I'm simply interpreting the original cards through the lens of our current America. It's important to realize that the outside world is a reflection of our inner states. We have to confront that. The Tarot's a great way to do that.
The project is straight forward. The deck is ready to go.
I've set my goal low so I can get some cards printed, but if the support overflows I have my eyes set on doing bigger things with the deck. I plan to co-author a book on this new Tarot deck with my buddy (and co-creator of Workaholics) Connor Pritchard. Shall be entertaining!
I want a little left over to play around with making wallpaper and clothing out of the cards as well. And if the support is really overflowing, the proceeds will go into immediate construction of a Tarot experience on AirBnB. We'll build a room that is centered around receiving a Tarot reading. You'll be given a set of instructions to perform throughout the day, then you'll get the reading at sunset. Sounds pretty cool, don't it!
Risks and challenges
Here's a rundown of some thoughts on the Rewards:
1. New American Tarot Deck - I don't foresee any hiccups with this Reward. I have run test prints of the cards and I have perfected them. Once, my goal is met I'll run one more test print before the campaign time is up, then I'll order a bulk and ship them immediately.
2. Facetime Tarot Reading - This Reward comes with a deck of cards. So, I want you to have them before the reading. Then, it will be a matter of scheduling. I've limited the number to 45 readings, so it shouldn't be impossible to manage. I'm here at Villa Anita 24/7, and I love talking to collectors about my work.
3. Hand-drawn Tuck Box - I'm drawing these with an archival pen, then hitting them with a workable fixative. This will keep them from streaking and you'll be able to frame them nicely.
4. Hand-painted Tuck Box - These are much easier to archive. They're painted with acrylic. No problems here.
5. Aluminum-framed Cards - The problem here will be picking the card. Maybe, you'll have to wait and spend some time with the cards before picking tone. Or you can pick based on your favorite Rider-Waite card. Or I can send you a PDF file with all the cards, and you can pick from there. It will be a bit of a process, but it should be painless. Plus, we'll get to interact.
6. Jung, McKenna, and Jodorowski portraits - I'm just going to cut the canvas from the frame, then ship it to you. You'll have to get it re-stretched by a framer. But, let's face it, you can afford it.
7. 1 of 3 Vellum Drawings - These are the real McCoy. I'll have these custom framed for you before I send them. So, don't take the frame in the video to be the one that gets sent. We'll work on it together. Or, I can just roll it up, and send it along for you to frame it. However you want to do it, big fella.... or big mama.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)