I'm Viktor Hertz, a graphic designer from Sweden, with a passion for illustrating songs with pictograms. "What the hell is a pictogram?" I can hear some of you thinking. These are those universal signs you can see at airports, for example. In 2011, I started making posters for songs, depicting them with these kind of symbols, as a hobby and a creative challenge. Six years later, I still work on this concept With Every Heartbeat and Eight Days a Week. I have a Hungry Heart for pictograms, basically. I just love making these, and now I'd love to share them with you.
This year, I've made more than 50 completely new posters, and updated around 25 of my older ones (which in a way, also are completely new). I've never worked so hard on a project before, and I've never been so proud and happy with the result. I went through every single one with a lot of care for the visual metaphors, details and color. (shout-out to my Instagram followers for helping me choosing the best versions! <3 )
The list of songs is a mix of personal favourites, inspiration from top lists and pure randomness. Here is a Spotify playlist with the songs from this project, that you can listen to while reading further.
I will print these artworks on my personal favourite paper Hahnemühle German Etching 310g/sm. This paper is of archival quality, it's acid free and has a beautiful texture on the surface. It's gorgeous, basically- just look at it:
This time, I will print them in square vinyl cover size (31,5 x 31,5 cm / 12.5" x 12.5"), instead of regular poster proportions. This is both for practical and aesthetic reasons; it’s easier to find frames for this size on a global level, and it makes sense to make them look like album cover art, considering the theme. (Note: frames are not included)
Here are frame mockups of all the posters in artist alphabetical order (the white space is printed on the actual poster, so no passepartout is needed). There are more than 70 available posters, so prepare to scroll for a while.
They are also available on my Behance portfolio, in a gallery with a better overview (and with better image quality, as well).
NOTE: This is unofficial fan art, and are not affiliated with any of the bands or artists.
Thank you for scrolling- have you decided how many of these you wanna buy? Great, let's move on to the different pre-ordering options / reward pledges!
Want more than nine posters?
Just add 200 SEK ($24 / €20) for each poster - click “Manage Your Pledge” and increase the amount in the “Pledge amount” box, according to how many more posters you want. For example, if you want 12 posters, you add 3 x 200 SEK to your existing pledge, which makes it 2450 SEK in total.
And remember, you can always change your level, up until the project ends, so no worries. You can even cancel your pledge, if you need to- but then you might miss out on your only chance getting these as signed and limited prints. The question is How Deep Is Your Love (and your wallet)...
All posters will be shipped flat in thick cardboard boxes. Estimated worldwide shipping in December 2017, in time for Christmas - as long as you submit the survey in time, and let me know which poster(s) you'd like. I might do some pre-research to see which ones are most popular, to speed up the printing process. I will notify everyone about updates, and when the rewards are sent.
- Q: How do I choose my posters?
- A: When the project has ended, I will send out a survey, where you will make your choice(s) and submit a delivery address.
- Q: Do you ship to XXX?
- A: Yes- I ship worldwide, so don't worry.
- Q: When will I receive my poster(s)?
- A: As long as you submit the survey in time, I will ship them with the fastest express option in the beginning of December- I expect to deliver in time for Christmas. Delivery time varies depending on where you live, but within Europe takes a couple of days, USA up to 13 days.
- Q: Are the posters limited?
- A: Yes, and no. Everyone will get the posters they want, but I will keep them limited to 150 prints for each one, if they don't reach this number during the Kickstarter campaign. If a poster gets more than 150 buyers, I will not print them again, after the Kickstarter has ended.
- Q: Are frames included?
- A: No. It should be easy to find frames locally, though- just make sure they will fit these exact measures. If the print should be a tiny bit too large, feel free to cut it with an X-Acto knife or similar- I left a lot of white space for this potential problem, so it should work out.
- Q: Why are the images here so blurry?
- A: Kickstarter compresses all image material after uploading, and it seems impossible to get them to look good, especially on a retina screen. Please, do something about this, Kickstarter!
- Q: Can you make a poster for XXX?
- A: I am always open for requests, and will keep all suggestions in mind for future song pictograms!
- Q: Will you add more posters to this Kickstarter project?
- A: Maybe! I have a few work-in-progress drafts, that I aim to finish before the end of this campaign. Depending on how things go, I might also add some stretch goals. We'll see.
... so much for taking the time to visit this Kickstarter project, and thanks a million if you've decided to support this project! And, if you don't have the ability to support me with actual money, I'd be super grateful if you could share this project with everyone you know!
If you have any connections with media, online blogs, press- feel free to send me contact details or share it straight away!
Please, don't hesitate to ask me a question if anything should be unclear, and I'll reply asap.
Now, Listen to Your Heart, Stand Together and Bring the Noise - I'm really looking forward to make this project come true with your help!
Lots of hugs,
PS. I also LoveCats.
Risks and challenges
This project is finished already, I just need the funding for printing and shipping these posters. So, I can't see how there could be any risks involved in this, at all. I will work as hard as I need, to get this project funded, and I won't rest until everyone has got their reward(s), I promise.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (15 days)