About this project
Hi. I'm Victor.
Last year, I took the biggest risk of my life. I left a job I loved to learn about design, business, and social change through 12 experiences/apprenticeships in 12 months. It has been a wild ride, to say the least.
Along the way, I have been inviting people to take their own risks and improve something in their world. People have been sharing all kinds of amazing acts ranging from adoption, to searching for long lost family members, to starting something beneficial. I called this entire project The Leapyear Project and over the past several months, a few friends and I have gathered a community of people in over 15 countries.
My final project is to compile a book of meaningful stories from this community. It'll be a beautiful and inspiring book that you'll want to keep around for a long time and share with the people you care about.
So, I hope you'll pre-order a copy of the book and make this project possible.
Ten reasons you will want this book:
1) Inspiring. We know there are a lot of bad things happening in the world. This book will be a reminder that there is also a lot of good happening.
2) Beautiful. This book will be well designed, simple, and memorable.
3) Shareable. It will be an amazing gift for birthdays, graduations, holidays, President’s Day, Cinco De Mayo, etc. It's the type of gift that will spark good conversation in any home, office, waiting room, or classroom.
4) High Quality. We'll use heavy paper, a beautiful cover, and state of the art printing methods -- all done here in the USA.
5) Offline. The book will include tweets, facebook posts, emailed stories, and photography. It will be a bridge between an online conversation and your living room.
6) Real Stories. It will be written by students, neighbors, parents, teachers, doctors, businessmen, strangers, and friends. Some of the stories are simple and lovely. Some are spectacular and unfathomable. All of them are told by people like you and me.
7) A global project. The stories are coming in from around the world and include an array of cultures, settings, and demographics.
8) Workbook. My hope is that you’ll read the stories and be empowered to see problems and create solutions. We'll use the last section to guide you through questions that help you reflect, dream, and act upon leaps you could take in your own life or community.
9) New Connections. Those of us who own the book will have a newfound connection among us. These stories could lead to new friendships with good people around the world.
10) YOU can be a part of it! Have you taken a risk to create change in your life, community, or world? Big or small, we hope you'll share it! Head to the website and share what you did/are doing and the lessons you've learned along the way. I’ll work to compile our stories into a creative resource around taking risks to create change.
Can you help make this book possible?
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who's it for?
The stories and experiences shared in the book will be perfect for a broad audience, from kiddos to grandparents. It'll be a beautiful piece to place on coffee tables, in classrooms and on bookshelves. Think of it as an artistic resource full of inspiring stories and guiding questions. Throughout the book, I’ll also share anecdotes and honest lessons from my own experiences throughout the year.
Who is helping?
I’m teaming up with a premier design agency in Chicago (GRIP) and a few very talented creative folks. Together, we’ll organize and design the book of Leapyear Project stories, pictures, quotes, and lessons learned.
What are the rewards?
Where is the money going?
The money will go right into the production costs: designing, editing, and printing. The team and I will use the best quality printers and paper to produce the book here in the U.S. Additionally, money will be used to create a digital edition of the book for iPad and Kindle. If we exceed the amount, we have great plans to continue the work that has been started through this project. So, go ahead and be generous on this one!
Share your Leap Story!
For those of you who want to join the community, there’s still plenty of time to choose your leap and share your stories + lessons learned. Visit our new Leapyear Project Website, create a profile page, and tell your story.
Thanks for being here!
Risks and challenges
- Compiling, curating and editing the community's writing & photography will have its challenges. I'm building a team of friends to help do this together.
- Delivering/shipping the books in a financially economic manner.
- Choosing the best printer for the project and working with them at a distance to create a great final product.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (37 days)