A series of vignettes chronicling a few lonely people in Duluth, MN searching for a connection in a bleak winter. It's a comedy. Sorta. Read more
This project was successfully funded on January 5, 2013.
About this project
What is it?
Have you ever lost someone and wanted to get away from it all? "Duluth Is Horrible" is that film. There is no specific plot in its 20 minutes but some of the short vignettes connect loosely. Scenes include the aftermath of a breakup from both sides, an older zookeeper on a online date, a Redditor complaining about his cat, a karaoke scene, a disillusioned Sex Chat girl, 5 people dressed as Carmen Miranda, a call from Enterprise Car Rental, and a little Disney magic thrown in for good measure.
While there certainly are comedic elements, the film will also be the most personal & dramatic of my work. Many scenes are autobiographical and the emphasis to do this stemmed from a breakup I had which left me feeling alone, a loser, and unsure about life. My film will be a "meditation on loneliness" and is inspired by the work of Swedish director Roy Andersson, in particular "You The Living."
The filming will take me alone to Duluth, MN where I will live for up to a month. I'll be writing a daily blog about the experience as well. The goal is to use local talent, crew, and locations, much of which will be selected upon arrival.
But why Duluth?
The reason Duluth is horrible in the film, is because the lead character's girlfriend dumps him there. Anywhere is horrible if you have a broken heart.
The title "Duluth is Horrible" came randomly in a dream, as pretentious as that sounds. From what I read, it's not such a bad place - a tourist destination most of the year. I tried many different cities in the name and nothing sounded better than Duluth. So to Minnesota it is.
Here's an article from the Duluth News Tribune where I do my best to explain I mean no harm by the title.
What will $10,000 do for this project:
- Travel & Living Costs: Money for me to get there & live there for up to a month. I'll need food, clothing, and transportation to get around.
- Cast: The actors need food, costumes, and some even get paid.
- Equipment & Crew: I'd like to shoot this on a nice HD camera. One I was going to rent when I get there or possibly even buy with the support of my savings. There will be a sound man too who obviously will need compensation. Money is also an incentive to have crew & actors brave the elements to help make this.
- Insurance: Filming in certain locations usually requires liability insurance. Plus in the potential harsh climate, equipment insurance would be good to have too.
- Post: When the movie's all shot, it'll need to get edited, have a post sound mix, & have original music added. $$$
- Marketing: It's not enough to make a film anymore, you have to market it too. So some money goes to festival submissions costs, DVDs, and other promotional material. Also considering hiring a publicist to get word out more.
- Kickstarter Itself: Did you know they take a cut? As does Amazon Payments? Plus all the money to make the rewards. I may have the DVDs sitting around but I gotta mail them.
Who are YOU?
- David's Pizza Commercial
- Taste The Biscuit
- The Muppetless Movie
- Billy Ray Cyrus Sings "Taste The Biscuit"
My work has featured & shown on Lopez Tonight, the Washington Post, Huffington Post, Attack of the Show, TMZ Live, Right This Minute, Fandor, Cartoon Brew, & numerous film festivals - my favorites being the San Francisco Independent Film Festival, the Faux Film Festival, and the Gangrene Comedy Film Festival.
Here's some interviews about me and why I do what I do:
- CineSource Magazine: Being Gargiulo
- Killer Creatives
- Good Day Sacramento
- Live At Gangrene Comedy Film Festival
I also make music and in a sometimes band called Ghost Peeps
Risks and challenges
The biggest challenge will be the weather. I hear Minnesota winters can be harsh and if so, this may temporarily halt production.
I never not finish a project, so the film will be made and hopefully complete by April 2013.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $10 or more
Get a signed "Duluth Is Horrible" DVD & Special Thanks In Credits!Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $25 or more
Copy of Vincent Gargiulo's latest film, "KNFR From 7:00-7:30", signed "Duluth Is Horrible" DVD & Special Thanks In Credits!Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $50 or more
Entire Vincent Gargiulo Film & Discography (Duluth, KNFR, Chickens In The Shadows DVD, Ghost Peeps Box Set, & More!!), plus Credits! Ooo la la!Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $75 or more
Everything Already Spoken Of Plus a "Duluth Is Horrible" T-Shirt!!!Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $100 or more
Personalized Postcard From Duluth plus all the previously mentioned DVDs, music, & credits!Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $250 or more
Special Special Thanks, One of a kind Picture of me & some stranger in Duluth plus all the delicious already mentioned goodies.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $500 or more
Unique Personalized One Of A Kind Recorded Thank You Song Plus Everything Else!Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $1,000 or more
Your Own Video. Could be a story, a commercial, a personalized thing, porno. You name it! At this point, we're also calling you a Producer and will be credited as such. IMDB Credit!!! And you get all that other stuff too.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $2,500 or more
SPECIAL MINNESOTA OFFER: Pledge 2500 and we'll change the title. Plus you get everything else.Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $5,000 or more
(Your Name Presents), DVDs, Music, Postcards, Special Videos, Special Songs, Producer Credit, IMDB Credit, & a small wink from the director himself when at a party together.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
- (30 days)