Passfire: The Series available for pre-order now!
That's right: Passfire will be both a feature-length film and also a series of up to a dozen episodes, each highlighting specific countries and their pyrotechnic traditions.
How do you get the series? Right here on Kickstarter.
NOW YOU CAN GET EVERYTHING ON BLU-RAY OR DVD!
- All pledges of $5 and up will receive The Making of Passfire - full of interesting stories, scenes and bloopers about making the definitive film on fireworks.
- All pledges of $15 and up will receive the first episode of Passfire: The Series.
- All pledges of $125 and up will receive a "season pass" allowing you to download every single episode of Passfire: The Series as well as the feature film itself!
- All pledges of $175 and up will receive the entire collection of "Passfire: The Series", "Passfire: The Movie", "The Making of Passfire" and other special features on a set of Blu-rays! (Or DVDs if preferred - please specify.) Each set of discs will be signed by the producers. You will also receive everything listed above.
Backers of this campaign who have already pledged at one of these levels or higher will also receive these associated rewards.
Please watch this video for more information:
But we can only bring you Passfire: The Series if we successfully reach our funding goal by February 24, 2014. By backing Passfire you will help make this amazing film and series a reality!
About the Project:
Passfire is a combination feature-length documentary and series about the world's most amazing fireworks, the passionate people who make them and the cultures behind them.
Passfire's mission is simple: to document fireworks on every continent except Antartica and be the best film and series on fireworks every made.
It will consist of a 2-hour feature film and a series of shorter episodes to be distributed after the feature. Slated for release in 2015, Passfire will have broad global distribution, including TV, theatre, digital download, DVD/Blu-ray and film festivals. Nothing like this has been done before.
- Fireworks on Every Continent Except Antarctica: Passfire will show the diverse fireworks and fireworks cultures of Asia, Europe, North and South America and even the Middle-East and Africa.
- High Production Values: Fireworks are beautiful, but they are difficult to film. We have spent a great deal of effort on selecting the right equipment and developing the correct techniques to capture fireworks and their creators in gorgeous detail.
- Music: Music plays a powerful role in the way both film and fireworks are experienced. Passfire will have an original sound track featuring the theme song "Passfire" by Mike Brindisi & The New York Rock and mixed by Grammy Award-winning engineer Will Russell, with a score written by guitar prodigy Roby Aceto.
- Endorsements: Passfire could not be made without the cooperation and encouragement of the global fireworks community. We are proud to be endorsed by major fireworks organizations including the American Pyrotechnics Association, the National Fireworks Association and the Pyrotechnics Guild International as well as some of the most iconic names in the fireworks industry.
- More Than a Film: Passfire will be more than just a feature-length film; we will also be releasing a follow-up series of up to 12 episodes that will focus in-depth on individual topics and locations. Want to see an entire episode on how the Indians make those giant salutes? You will!
- The Definitive Documentary on Fireworks: Good things take time and Passfire is being crafted carefully over a period of several years to become the best film on fireworks ever made. It is our goal that decades from now people will consider Passfire to be part of fireworks history.
What We've Done so Far:
In just one year we covered fireworks in twelve countries including Brazil, Canada, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, the UK, the USA, and Vietnam, and shot over 300 hours of footage. That's an average of one country a month!
Passfire is well on its way to completion, but we're not finished. In order to tell the complete story of fireworks around the world we also need to film in Mexico, Europe (including Spain, Italy, Malta and Greece), Africa and the Middle East. The money we raise here will be used to do this, thus completing the production of Passfire.
A Word on Money and Budget:
Passfire's total budget is a fraction of this, but the film still requires a significant amount of money for travel, equipment and professional services. We are seeking an additional $50,000 so that we can meet our goal of filming fireworks in every continent except Antarctica. This might sound like a lot, but it is the minimum we need to complete production as planned.
If we are able to exceed this goal the additional money will help make Passfire the best movie it can be. Raising a total of $75,000 would allow us to include relatively unknown but important fireworks cultures like those of Russia and Myanmar. If we were able to raise $100,000, the fireworks community would make history by placing Passfire in the top 1% of all film projects ever funded on Kickstarter and allow Passfire to be filmed in 4K!
Who are the Veverka Bros.?
We are a couple of filmmakers who have loved fireworks since we were boys — the light, the sound, the smell of the smoke and the burst of color in the sky. We also love movies, and have made them together since we were kids. In 2008 we co-founded Veverka Bros. Productions and have produced several award-winning films since. We were reunited with our passion for fireworks while working in Liuyang, China in 2012 and Passfire was the natural result.
Here's Where you Come in...
We need your help to raise the money we need to complete production. We have only 32 days to reach our goal.
Kickstarter is all or nothing, so if we don't meet our goal we get zero and we can't complete the production of Passfire as planned (your credit card is not charged in such case).
Whether its $5 or $500, your pledge will allow us to make Passfire the definitive documentary on fireworks. Those who are able to make larger contributions at the $1,000 level will be rewarded by becoming part of the production itself as Associate Producers!
Sponsorships are also available for companies at the Bronze ($875), Silver ($1,750), Gold ($3,500), and Platinum ($7,000) levels, click here for more information.
Help us get the Word out:
- Post on Facebook (@Passfire)
- Make a YouTube video
- Tell your friends
- Forward our emails
- Write a blog post
- Tweet (use #Passfire)
Follow us to get updates on Passfire and lots of great fireworks information and photos:
A big THANK YOU! Let's complete this awesome film together!
Your pledge supports the production of Passfire, and as a "thank you" we are offering a lot of amazing rewards unique to the Passfire project (see descriptions in pledge levels to the right). Here are some highlights we know you'll love:
- Screen Credits: In addition to being credited in the film, all screen credits (Special Thanks, Production Assistant, and Associate Producer will be listed on the Passfire IMDb page. Note: According to IMDb rules, screen credits are for single individuals only; companies should pledge as Sponsors and couples/families should make a pledge for each individual name.
- NEW - "Five Elements of the Fireworker" t-shirt: By popular demand from members of the fireworks community, we created a custom shirt representing the five elements of the fireworker as described in the video. Produced exclusively for Passfire by Pyro Novelties.
- NEW - Crew Vest II: We use them as filmmakers, you use them as pyrotechnicians. An updated edition of Passfire's awesome cargo vest — perfect for holding tools while you set up your next pyro display.
- NEW - Passfire Model Rocket: Growing up in New York State we couldn't buy consumer fireworks, so we launched model rockets instead. We made these Passfire model rockets to commemorate the passion for pyrotechnics that so often starts in childhood. (Can be launched using commercially available model rocket engines - not included; please follow the NAR Model Rocketry Safety Code.)
- NEW - Passfire Salute Casing: Last time we had custom Passfire Japanese ball shell piggy banks; this time we have custom Passfire Indian salute casings. These are totally authentic and handmade just for Passfire!
NEW - Passfire Soundtrack on Vinyl: Records in 2014? Absolutely. With most music now compressed into mp3s, vinyl has better fidelity, and when properly cared for, better longevity than digital formats. With vinyl you can pass down your Passfire soundtrack for generations to come!
NEW - "Five Elements of the Fireworker" patch: By popular demand from members of the fireworks community, we created a custom patch representing the five elements of the fireworker as described in the video. Produced exclusively for Passfire by Pyro Novelties.
Risks and challenges
A film like Passfire presents certain risks and challenges. Because the film involves going to far-flung destinations, we may encounter difficulties while traveling (including visas and permits) that may necessitate changes to our itinerary. Also, fireworks do involve a certain level of risk — we take necessary precautions and make safety our highest priority. Finally, independent documentaries often run over schedule and it may take additional time to complete the film, which could delay the fulfillment of certain rewards. Although we intend broad distribution, results will depend on circumstances at the time of completion — we are addressing these challenges by teaming with experienced industry veterans and placing the highest attention to quality and planning. With our proven track-record we are confident we can meet these challenges.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)