Very Engaging is a pair of playful and romantic conversation guidebooks for dating, engaged, and married couples. Through a series of interactive conversation prompts, Very Engaging will bring couples closer together by creating a comfortable environment to learn more about each other and to navigate some of life’s most serious discussions with confidence and humor.
Is This Just a Book?
The Very Engaging book set is more than just another book. It is a relationship performance enhancer. It is a journey of personal discovery. It is the perfect blend of entertainment and education. Each page's purpose is to create a constructive, fun, and thoughtful discussion between you and your partner.
Looks Interesting, How Does It Work?
Very Engaging includes two complementary conversation guidebooks: titled HIS and HERS, which are structured into 12 chapters, covering critical topics such as money, family, and yes… SEX (hurrah!).
The books guide you and your partner through life’s most significant discussions with fun, interactive conversation prompts. Each partner plays through their own guidebook, simultaneously, turning each page together. With the help of these books, you’ll confront previously-intimidating topics with new confidence. For better or worse, you’ll no longer be afraid to “go there”, we promise. Watch a couple play through this playful and romantic journey (below is a silent 15-second film)...
I Love This Project, How Do I Support It?
Some notes about the reward tiers below:
- The standard book set includes a pair of Very Engaging conversation guidebooks: one HIS and one HERS. Of course, HIS + HIS and HERS + HERS book sets are also available. Once you place your order, please forward your order confirmation email to email@example.com and write in the body of the email that you would like a HIS/HIS or HERS/HERS book set.
- The Specially Gift Packaged Book Set will include a beautiful and creative presentation of the books shaped as a heart inside a large box. Trust us, whoever receives this as a gift is going to love it!
- The "Fully Committed" tier is a super unique opportunity for your name to be included in one of the activities of the book. Les and Charly wrote the book with playful side commentary in many of the conversation activities, which reference pop culture, fun facts, and relationship examples. If you are one of the lucky 12, Les and Charly will call you to discuss your relationship to determine the most relevant conversation activity for you to be incorporated. Plus, you get everything from the "Something Special" package!
From the "Beginning" Chapter...
From the "Values" Chapter...
From the "Money" Chapter...
From the "Future" Chapter...
Charly Ligety is currently a graduate student at University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business. Charly lives in Santa Monica with his wonderful wife, Carley, who has been patient enough to play through many iterations of the book over the past year. A native of Park City, UT, Charly received his BA from Dartmouth College in 2009.
Les Starck currently works for a national bank. Les lives in Los Angeles with his supportive wife, Ashley, who has been generous enough to lend out her husband for many late nights writing the book with Charly. A native of Reston, VA, Les received his BA from University of Southern California in 2009.
We (Charly and Les) are super passionate about helping others live happy and fulfilling lives in fun and creative ways. Very Engaging is our first real solution to the many issues we think are worth solving.
How Was Very Engaging Created?
As former co-workers, we spent many-a-lunch together, discussing the typical office politics, pop-culture (Les, being a closet Taylor Swift fan and Charly’s unhealthy love for Justin Bieber), and weekend’s shenanigans. When we both found ourselves newly engaged, the conversations turned a bit more serious, as we shared our experiences in pre-marital counseling and truly getting to know our partners. After going through the engagement process, we wanted to find a fun, alternative way for us, and other couples, to initiate these meaningful conversations on our own. So, after reflecting on our relationships with our wives, we started creating conversation prompts to help navigate some of life’s most significant (and…not so significant) discussions.
Together, we have been working on writing Very Engaging since early 2016. While the inception of Very Engaging derives from our own personal relationship experiences, the content of the books has been developed and honed after many long conversations with marriage and family therapists and interviews with dozens of dating, engaged, and recently married couples from around the country.
After exploring more than 600 types of conversation activities and prompts, we narrowed our selection down to 350 pages for qualitative user testing. We invited couples from all walks of life to A/B test our most promising activities. To do so, we sent couples one chapter at a time to play through on their own. After couples completed playing each chapter, we then conducted in-depth interviews about their relationships and the conversations that were started on each page. We went back to the drawing board hundreds of times to make slight tweaks and changes to the copy edit and page layout. We did not stop until the final 250 pages received overwhelmingly positive feedback.
Many of those couple’s stories of challenging conversations, funny quirks, and romantic moments have greatly influenced the overall structure and narrative of the books.
- To our loving and supportive wives, Carley and Ashley, thank you!
- Mary Kay Cocharo, LMFT, thank you for your detailed feedback and thank you for participating in our video!
- Mary Andres and USC's Rossier MFT Program
- Ruby Le, MMFT, Dating Coach and Founder of GoodGentleman.com
- Andrew Chen, MMFT
- Jose C. Elizondo, our expert videographer!
- Jennifer Buonantony, our talented PR representative from PressPass LA
- Damon D'Amore, for believing in us and opening up your Rolodex!
- Leah Nanni and James Bottom from Blackstone LaunchPad USC for being there from Day 1!
- USC Marshall School of Business and all of the professors and classmates that have provided their input and support!
- To all of the bloggers and social media influencers that have believed in this project and helped spread the love!
- And to all those wonderful couples out there who participated in the book’s many rounds of beta testing and who were filmed for the Kickstarter video.
Let’s Go There, Together
Risks and challenges
As in any venture, there are risks and challenges. However, because we are printing a pair of books, there is limited risk in manufacturing and tooling. The process of printing books has been perfected since 1440 AD.
Progress to Date:
• Writing – We have completed the research, writing, and testing of the entire book, which totals ~250 pages. We have worked with many couples around the country since November 2016 to ensure every page of Very Engaging successfully creates a playful and romantic experience.
• Graphic Design – We have been working with the best-in-class graphic designers since April 2017. Graphic design is over half-way complete, as we have already made a small printing run of promotional copies (a 110-page sample of the total 250 pages). These copies were sent out to social media influencers to help promote the book and provide us with additional design feedback.
• Printer – We have been in discussions with printers since May 2017. We have printing quotes from several high-quality, well-respected printing companies based in the United States, who will be able to deliver a high-quality product in a standard turn-around time for a job of this size.
Any pledge amount brings us one step closer to our goal. Let’s go there, together.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)