Turn your wine collection into an illuminated work of art. Upcycled wine barrel staves are incorporated with LED technology. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on June 1, 2013.
About this project
Chilled Magazine: "We know everyone loves to store wine gracefully."
Grape Experiences: "Unique and innovative wine rack..."
Upcycled UK: "unique affordable wine rack"
Renew Repurpose: "beautiful wine racks.."
To see each individual wine display reward, scroll down the page.
Now the Lumi Wine Wall Staves can fit either spirit bottles or wine bottles
Hello Fellow Kickstarters!
My name is Dale and I love to repurpose retired wine barrels. I make my own wine and live in Sonoma County, California. The average life of a wine or spirit barrel is just 5 - 7 years. For such a resource rich material to be disposed of after such a short period of use seems to me a waste of natural resources. So, I set about finding a way to reuse the barrels in the creation of a handcrafted functional works of art where the environmental value of the wood is appreciated. Thus, I'm here to introduce my first collection using French and American Oak wine barrel staves and turning them into an illuminated modular wine wall. I call it the LUMI Wine Wall. The beauty of this modular system is that it can fit virtually into any space - large or small while illuminating the back of the wall using LED technology. Handcrafted in California, what once held wine holds wine again
Changing the way we display wine
We take a modern approach to display wine using traditional upcycled wine barrel staves made of American or French oak. Super Bright LED technology is incorporated to our wine barrel staves which illuminate the modular wine rack showcasing wine in a simple but elegant way.
- Simple and stable
- Stores up to seven bottles per wine stave
- Design incorporates angle specific cutouts insuring each bottleneck rests on the rack with ease
- Custom mounting bracket for each wine stave
- Each stave measures 40" in length
- Custom Danish oil finish is applied embellishing the unique history of each wine stave
- Aircraft grade anodized aluminum extrusion bar is available in sizes that accommodate 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 staves
- Each stave is supplied with either a 12V transformer or battery pack
- All Vertical Lengths are 40"
- 1 Stave Horizontal Length is 3"
- 2 Stave Horizontal Bar Length is 15"
- 3 Stave Horizontal Bar Length is 21"
- 4 Stave Horizontal Bar Length is 27"
- 5 Stave Horizontal Bar Length is 33"
- 6 Stave Horizontal Bar Length is 39"
Why we're different
What makes the LUMI Wine Wall unique is re-purposing the natural arch of wine barrel staves creating a distinct handcrafted wine wall from upcycled American or French oak wine barrels. We took it a step further and incorporated Super Bright LED technology which saves 80% of electricity compared to regular lighting. They also have a life of more than 20,000 hours compared to 4,000 hour of a Halogen. Each bottle sits securely in it's own space as if suspended in mid-air. The stave is mounted securely on a aircraft grade anodized aluminum extrusion bar. LUMI fits any space or décor. There’s beauty in the flexibility of LUMI Wine Wall that allows you to start your collection with a single stave and grow your system as your collection evolves over time.
Admire your wine collection while you dine
Take dining to the next level showcasing your unique cellar. Whether in the kitchen, dining room, living room or as the heart of your cellar, you can build the LUMI to fit your space. Feel good about saving the planet one wine stave at a time.
Large or small spaces
Don’t have the big wall space but would love to showcase your wine? Take advantage of the flexibility of the LUMI Wine Wall. Regardless if you only have space for one, two, six or thirty stave holders, LUMI is beautiful and subtle giving you the stage to your collection as it grows.
Have a large kitchen but a small collection?
Who says every wine collection has to be large. Even if you have a large kitchen but small on wall space, you can always find a space for LUMI. Using wine barrel staves that have been repurposed and the latest generation of Super Bright LEDs, we’ve developed a wine rack that provides a way to illuminate a space that at the same time becomes a highly functional elegant wall sconce.
Illuminate your living room and create instant wall art
Using the natural arch of wine barrel staves, we have created distinct handcrafted staves from upcycled American or French oak wine barrels and taking it a step further incorporating Super Bright LED technology. Each bottle sits securely in it’s own space as if suspended in mid-air. Each piece might show natural imperfections, slight variations in color, grain & dimensions, all adding to the uniqueness of every stave.
How we make the LUMI Wine Wall
· Each barrel is dismantled and the staves are sorted according to size
· The staves are then lightly sanded and finished for a smooth feel but still hold that authentic rustic look.
· Each piece is individually constructed, allowing for the unit shape and character of each stave. This means no two pieces are exactly the same and crafting can be a lengthy and complex task
· Each piece is finally treated with our custom Danish oil mixture and finishing touches are made
· Each LUMI has an anodized aluminum aircraft-grade extrusion bar which comes in various lengths to accommodate 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 stave sconces.
· Each LUMI has rubberized supports attached to the stave to hang it on the bar
We are very conscious of “respecting the planet”. Our green philosophy includes:
- Using our basic materials efficiently and operating a re-use & recycle policy
- Collecting all sawdust and composting it
- Handcrafted in California
- Keeping paper advertising, correspondence and administration to a minimum, using technology instead
- Recycling packaging
There are five components to the LUMI Wine Wall:
- The wine barrel stave is French or American oak with angle specific drilled holes
- One Super Bright LED strip contains 24 LEDs per stave
- Aircraft grade anodized aluminum mounting strip cut to a customized length to accommodate 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 staves
- Dual supports are attached to the back of the stave to hold it on the horizontal bar
- Each stave is supplied with a 12V wall transformer or a battery pack (8 AA Alkaline or rechargeable batteries) batteries not included. The battery box is located on the back of the stave bottom with a convenient on/off switch for operation
The Modular Wall
Each wine barrel stave is hand crafted and the bottleneck hole is angle specific.
Extruded Aluminum Bottle Bar
Comprised of aircraft-grade extruded anodized aluminum, each individual strip holds up to six staves. Individual bars are customized for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 staves.
Designed to secure LUMI to the bar, rubberized supports are attached to clip on to the horizontal bar.
Each stave has 24 Super Bright LEDs mounted to the back of the stave. The illumination highlights the wine bottles and labels adding romance and art to your room. This "sconce effect" reflects off the back of the wall and induces a soft glow against the bottles.
Easy to Install
The small number of components allows for easy assembly in just a couple of steps with drilling and measuring kept to a minimum. LUMI wine wall mounts to any dry-wall surface which includes hardware.
Version "A" Each wine barrel stave includes one wall transformer and plug.
Version "B" of the Lumi Wine Wall is battery powered and no wall transformer is required. It uses 8 AA Alkaline or rechargeable batteries. The battery box is located on the back of the stave bottom with a convenient on/off switch for operation.
What the rewards look like:
We’ve finalized the design, completed and tested pre-production prototypes. We have a proven track record of bringing many well-designed products to market.
This product is hand crafted and truly one of a kind. Because the stave has a compound curve (curved in two directions), it will take a special sanding tool that has to be developed to make the finishing product more efficient. Each LUMI has unique features that tell a story and define its journey. A journey that begins at a cooperage, then to the winery for years of stewarding world-class wines and now to your home. This heirloom quality piece conveys the wonderful Wine Country life style experienced in the famous appellations of Northern California and represents one of the most prestigious industries in the world. Years of enjoyment and conversation are guaranteed with this green American made product.
We are excited and ready to make LUMI Wine Wall a reality. With your help we can finance the tooling, extrusions, jigs for holes, automatic sander device and quantity ordering LED Super Bright Lights and mounting hardware. In return, you can be the first to pre-order the LUMI Wine Wall while taking advantage of exclusive Kickstarter savings off our retail price. So help us save the planet one wine stave at a time.
Thanks for your time and support Kickstarters!
Risks and challenges
To date we have successfully produced several prototypes and evaluated the manufacturing process. It's a handcrafted item and not complex, therefore, risk is minimal. We've located all of the suppliers for the parts and LEDs with backups. The more backers we have, the more craftsmen we will hire to keep on track with shipping. We are committed to the quality and the integrity of our rewards and we will keep backers updated throughout the process with news and milestones.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Unfortunately, international shipping is not an easy or cheap as we would like it to be. Prices vary by country and what taxes and other regulations your government has. If you order any of the pledges through Kickstarter to be delivered outside the USA, we ask that you assume responsibility for all these charges. After our Kickstarter project ends, you will be asked to log into our website and pay the appropriate shipping charges.
Yes, the staves will hold spirit bottles but the holes need to be made a little larger to accommodate this. Simply indicate this when the project is finished and we will customize your order to fit spirit bottles.
Choose Either Version A or B to power the LEDs
Version A - Wall Transformer
The LEDs are powered by a 12V DC wall transformer. The cord comes out from the bottom of the stave but you can put the plug behind the stave as we did in the photograph so you don't see it. Or, you can feed the wire behind the drywall so you don't see it also.
Version "B" Battery Pack
The LEDs are battery powered and no wall transformer is required. It uses 8 AA Alkaline or rechargeable batteries. The battery box is located on the back of the stave bottom with a convenient on/off switch for operation (batteries not included).
- (60 days)